RR24 - Having fret buzz issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norbix View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I loosened the truss rod a quarter step and I have some surprising results. While fretting the 3rd and 20th fret the string is still touching the 6th and 8th frets. Is it possible that the guitar neck has THAT much back bow? I read to leave it to adjust for a while but should I continue to loosen it until the string is not touching the frets while fretting 3 and 20?
    Yeah, it is. It's not really typical, especially if you bought it from a good shop in your area (who should have at least given it a quick once-over) but you don't need to crank the truss rod to get it back-bowed with the factory .009 strings.

Comment

I bought in online. It shipped over the weekend so it was probably baking inside of a Fed Ex truck or something?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have another question, though....

When adjusting the truss rod should I take off the locking nuts? Loosen the strings? Thanks.

Comment

You only need to do that to the extent that you need to make room to work without breaking a string or whatever.

If you are using the wrench they give you, you will probably need to get the D and G strings out of the way at least somewhat, but if you have a nice T-handle wrench you won't.

Comment

Hey guys, I have an update.

Well I can't seem to get rid of this buzz! I've loosened the rod 1/8 three times now. There is a noticeable relief n the middle of the guitar now while holding the frets down. The buzz is still there AND my action is super high. I'd like to try and get this setup by myself and I can provide any type of pics that might be able help with it if anyone can help. Or do you think I should just get it professionally setup?

Comment

You might have a high fret, or the nut could be too low - but it would have to be fairly extreme, depending on what you mean by "super high" action. It's hard to say without seeing it or having actual measurements.

Action at the 12th fret in mm?

How much gap is there between the low E and the 1st fret?

And the high E and the first fret?

Do you usually play with .009's? Are you tuning to E? :think:

Comment

Guys,

really appreciate the help but I'm getting it professionally setup. : )

Comment

Might be a good idea... It kind of sounds like something weird is going on, and it would be a warranty issue if it's not correctable.

Comment

Update.

So I sent the guitar back to where I purchased it from for a free professional setup from 'their best guy'. I just got the guitar back and the fret buzz is noticeably worse! Would it be wrong of me to consider a return at this point? I was promised low action without fret buzz, but that is definitely not the case. The action is low on the lower frets, but my $250 ESP has lower action on the higher frets. Is this something a local setup shop is for, or should I get a return?

Comment

It's unlikely you will get low action without fret buzz from a guy giving you a free setup where the guitar ships two ways like that.

You would have to find someone local to do it, and expect to pay about $60. Fender authorized, so in case there turns out to be an uncorrectable issue you can do a warranty claim.

I don't know who you bought it from but it sounds like they're either unable to make the guitar play right or the difference in climate between the two locations is throwing the guitar way out of adjustment (entirely likely) so you need to get it taken care of locally, or sent it back for a refund. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                      It's unlikely you will get low action without fret buzz from a guy giving you a free setup where the guitar ships two ways like that.

You would have to find someone local to do it, and expect to pay about $60. Fender authorized, so in case there turns out to be an uncorrectable issue you can do a warranty claim.

I don't know who you bought it from but it sounds like they're either unable to make the guitar play right or the difference in climate between the two locations is throwing the guitar way out of adjustment (entirely likely) so you need to get it taken care of locally, or sent it back for a refund. :dunno:
                      That's what they promised me, though.. twice! The place that I ordered it from inspects every guitar before sending it out for buzz, also... so I don't know how I am able to get the shaft twice. I feel betrayed because before I sent it back I asked if it will come back without fret buzz. They replied that it will, but it didn't. For a place that inspects its guitars so thoroughly before shipping I feel that I should not have to spend $60 for someone else to set it up. Personally I feel its absurd... in fact, I feel that its almost reason enough to return the guitar and give my business somewhere else. Or am I overreacting?

Comment

Seriously, you need to show us some pics! Are you by any chance using super slinky strings and trying to tune to A# or something? Don't roll your eyes, I've seen people do that. Truss rod adjustments are no biggie! Unless you're using elephant-force to turn the nut.

Yes, my $300 ESP had super-low action, it was unbelievable but my jacksons have great action. nowhere as high as you're saying.
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post

Seriously, you need to show us some pics! Are you by any chance using super slinky strings and trying to tune to A# or something? Don't roll your eyes, I've seen people do that. Truss rod adjustments are no biggie! Unless you're using elephant-force to turn the nut.

Yes, my $300 ESP had super-low action, it was unbelievable but my jacksons have great action. nowhere as high as you're saying.
                          Heh, I'll try to get pics, sure.

I did attempt to adjust the truss rod previously. I did two or three 1/8 turns in the span of 48 hours or so and the result was super high action (while the floyd was seated very low) and continued fret buzz.

I realize that I'm probably being too optimistic in my expectations of the guitar. It's kind of hard not to be that way when every review I've read on the internet reads "low action, no buzz, great playability!". However at this point I feel mostly just anger about the fret buzz. The site promises to "play the neck chromatic for fret buzz" and to "play chromatic up each string for fret buzz", yet I've received the guitar twice with intense buzz. I contacted them again today and their response is the same. I can send it back or authorize $50 for a local setup.

Urgh.........

Comment

Working...
                          X