Ngd - dk2s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ngd - dk2s

Very impressed so far. The sustainiac works much better than I dared hope. Very cool. I wonder how long it will take to kill a fresh 9v...
    I only need one more guitar.

Wow that is gorgeous! How does that neck pick up work? Is it a normal pickup that can double as a sustainer if the switch is flipped?

Comment

Yes, basically. It has a feedback sustain mode, an active electromagnet that actually vibrates the strings for you mode, and a mix between the two. I'm still waiting for the novelty to wear off. I might have to get some of these pickups for my soloists.

Comment

I've got a black one ordered. I plan to put in a kill switch push button in place of the tone so I can do Buckethead stuff with ease.

Comment

Cool, man. Sounds like fun, can't wait to try one!

Comment

Very cool, congratulations. How's the battery holding up?

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
              Very cool, congratulations. How's the battery holding up?
              Thank...stress testing it as we speak...so far 3.5 hours with no problem.

Comment

I did notice something worth mentioning to prospective purchasers. This bridge pickup sounds just as good to me as the one in my Soloist with Duncan H/S/S. I was a little worried about taking out one of those, or the pickups in any of my H/S/S guitars, in order to do an aftermarket install of a Sustainiac. A little caveat, though.
                Once you turn on the Sustainiac circuit, no matter what mode you're in, you mostly lose the neck and middle pickup characteristics. All 5 positions basically sound like you're using the bridge pickup. There is a slight difference, but not much. Maybe the neck pickup can't act as both a driver and a pickup, I'm not sure. It hasn't really diminished the coolness for me, though.

I'm also very impressed by the quality of these new Japanese imports. This guitar and the DK2M I picked up have both played and sounded pretty fantastic, especially for the price. I got them both in "barely used" (basically no fretwear) condition, so I'm betting neither had any setup work done, but I had to do almost no adjusting to either one.

I can see a huge jump in product quality from guitars in this price range 10-15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                  I did notice something worth mentioning to prospective purchasers. This bridge pickup sounds just as good to me as the one in my Soloist with Duncan H/S/S. I was a little worried about taking out one of those, or the pickups in any of my H/S/S guitars, in order to do an aftermarket install of a Sustainiac. A little caveat, though.
                  Once you turn on the Sustainiac circuit, no matter what mode you're in, you mostly lose the neck and middle pickup characteristics. All 5 positions basically sound like you're using the bridge pickup. There is a slight difference, but not much. Maybe the neck pickup can't act as both a driver and a pickup, I'm not sure. It hasn't really diminished the coolness for me, though.

I'm also very impressed by the quality of these new Japanese imports. This guitar and the DK2M I picked up have both played and sounded pretty fantastic, especially for the price. I got them both in "barely used" (basically no fretwear) condition, so I'm betting neither had any setup work done, but I had to do almost no adjusting to either one.

I can see a huge jump in product quality from guitars in this price range 10-15 years ago.
                  I'm pretty sure when the Sustainiac is on. That only the bridge pickup will work regardless of where the pickup selector switch is at. My guess is with the Sustainer ON, that it bypasses the pickup selector switch and goes straight through the bridge pickup.

Incase you don't know here is a ton of info:

www.sustainiac.com

I'm gonna play on mine for a while to decide whether or not I want to put in my main pickup which is the Dimarzio Megadrive.

I'm surprised they have been making the DK2S for so long. As you'd figure the sustainer guitar would have a small customer base. But I guess Jackson has been selling enough of them to keep making them. Plus, I only found out about the DK2S from reading about it on the Sustainiac website.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by unknown;1364462Incase you don't know here is a ton of info:

[URL="http://www.sustainiac.com"
                      www.sustainiac.com[/URL]

Yeah, I actually tried to do some research on their site before buying. I guess they are stuck in the intertubes of the 90's, because their site design is so horrible I quit reading as soon as I got the bare minimum of info that I needed.

Comment

Yeah, I actually tried to do some research on their site before buying. I guess they are stuck in the intertubes of the 90's, because their site design is so horrible I quit reading as soon as I got the bare minimum of info that I needed.
                        Yeah, I agree. Way too much info. But they should at least organize it.

Comment

All 5 positions basically sound like you're using the bridge pickup. There is a slight difference, but not much. Maybe the neck pickup can't act as both a driver and a pickup, I'm not sure. It hasn't really diminished the coolness for me, though.
                          All sustainers do this except for the sustainer found in the PC1.
                          They bypass the selector and enable the bridge pickup and the sustainer driver when you turn it on.
                          Also, the driver cannot act as a pickup when the sustainer is turned on.

The sustainer in the PC1 does not bypass the selector unless you have the neck pup selected when you turn it on.
                          It will work with the selector in positions 1 - 4 and not alter the tone when enabled.
                          If you have the selector in position 5 (neck) it throws you back to the bridge pickup when you turn it on.

Oh and nice fiddle... love the finish on that one.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            All sustainers do this except for the sustainer found in the PC1.
                            They bypass the selector and enable the bridge pickup and the sustainer driver when you turn it on.
                            Also, the driver cannot act as a pickup when the sustainer is turned on.

The sustainer in the PC1 does not bypass the selector unless you have the neck pup selected when you turn it on.
                            It will work with the selector in positions 1 - 4 and not alter the tone when enabled.
                            If you have the selector in position 5 (neck) it throws you back to the bridge pickup when you turn it on.

Oh and nice fiddle... love the finish on that one.
                            Thanks, me too. It's my favorite finish - I was up in the air about getting a DK2S vs just getting the pickup until I saw it come up on ebay.

So, does the PC1 use a different brand sustainer? Is it similar to the Sustainiac in that it has feedback sustain and also this ebow-style driver that physically vibrates the strings to keep the note going? I mostly use the bridge pickup anyway, but hey, if I can get the other 4 positions too, that's cool.

Comment

Thanks, me too. It's my favorite finish - I was up in the air about getting a DK2S vs just getting the pickup until I saw it come up on ebay.

So, does the PC1 use a different brand sustainer? Is it similar to the Sustainiac in that it has feedback sustain and also this ebow-style driver that physically vibrates the strings to keep the note going? I mostly use the bridge pickup anyway, but hey, if I can get the other 4 positions too, that's cool.
                              I don't know alot about the sustainer in the PC1. But it looks like a sustainer from the 80's. I believe it was an old Floyd Rose sustainer made for Kramer guitars. Don't know if they have updated it since.

Comment

Working...
                              X