Jackson Arch Top Info/Help (ATX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Arch Top Info/Help (ATX)

So I got this back in 1999 from a small mom and pop store in England. As you can see from the Inspection Card it's an ATX (Arch Top ?) and the color is TR (Trans Red). In the past I've looked for information on this guitar (DOB etc) and never had any luck. I also just searched through the catalogues on the Jackson site and don't see an ATX specifically listed.
    It's the first guitar I ever bought so I'm keen to get some info if anyone has any input. It doesn't get much action nowadays but I'll always keep it.
    Thanks
    Sam

Originally posted by sambarugh View Post
    So I got this back in 1999 from a small mom and pop store in England. As you can see from the Inspection Card it's an ATX (Arch Top ?) and the color is TR (Trans Red). In the past I've looked for information on this guitar (DOB etc) and never had any luck. I also just searched through the catalogues on the Jackson site and don't see an ATX specifically listed.
    It's the first guitar I ever bought so I'm keen to get some info if anyone has any input. It doesn't get much action nowadays but I'll always keep it.
    Thanks
    Sam
    Hello Sam, and welcome to the JCF!

The reason you won't find the ATX in any catalogues, is that it wasn't part of the regular model program. The AT-X was part of a small series of guitars that were only sold in Europe, New Zeeland, and Australia, in limited quantities. The series also included the DR-X, the RR-X, and the KE-X, and around here we sometimes refer to them as "The Euro-X Series". You won't find them in any catalogues or other official material, and all we know about them we've found out from dealer ads and other users online.

The guitars were built in japan (probably between 1998 and 1999), and the build quality is just as good as any other japanese built import from the same era. The trem is the Jackson JT-580LP. Confirmed finish options include Metallic Black, Trans Red, Trans Green and Trans Purple. I think there was also Metallic Red and a couple of other finishes, but of that I'm unsure. Scale length is 25.5" (a.k.a. "Strat scale"). Body wood is poplar (tonally very close to Alder), and the pickups are junk (I think the humbuckers are called J-65 or some such thing), with very flubby bottom end definition.

I can't give you much more info than that, since I'm on vacation and all my docs are at home, but that's the gist of it. Btw; if you take the neck off, you will see the exact production dates stamped in the neck pocket and on the neck heel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      Hello Sam, and welcome to the JCF!

The reason you won't find the ATX in any catalogues, is that it wasn't part of the regular model program. The AT-X was part of a small series of guitars that were only sold in Europe, New Zeeland, and Australia, in limited quantities. The series also included the DR-X, the RR-X, and the KE-X, and around here we sometimes refer to them as "The Euro-X Series". You won't find them in any catalogues or other official material, and all we know about them we've found out from dealer ads and other users online.

The guitars were built in japan (probably between 1998 and 1999), and the build quality is just as good as any other japanese built import from the same era. The trem is the Jackson JT-580LP. Confirmed finish options include Metallic Black, Trans Red, Trans Green and Trans Purple. I think there was also Metallic Red and a couple of other finishes, but of that I'm unsure. Scale length is 25.5" (a.k.a. "Strat scale"). Body wood is poplar (tonally very close to Alder), and the pickups are junk (I think the humbuckers are called J-65 or some such thing), with very flubby bottom end definition.

I can't give you much more info than that, since I'm on vacation and all my docs are at home, but that's the gist of it. Btw; if you take the neck off, you will see the exact production dates stamped in the neck pocket and on the neck heel.
      Sunbane...thanks so much for the info and the warm welcome. Nice to finally know what I've had all these years.

As you'll notice I did switch out the neck PUP for the reason you stated. Around 2001 I had every intention to put EMG's in there but that never happened. I also had an unfortunate incident around that time whereby the strap lock on the top horn came lose during a show causing the guitar to pivot and land directly on the tip of the headstock. The result was a stress fracture down right down the center. I wasn't able to get a replacement neck because I was told they didn't make them anymore but Jackson were good enough to glue it back together professionally. Maybe one day I'll take it off and find that build date.

Would be cool to see pictures if any other forum members have one of these "Euro-X's"

Comment

Originally posted by sambarugh View Post
        Thanks
        Sam

Pretty sweet. But what is a CHAVEL?:dunno:
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

lol. Let's hope they didn't order too many of those slips

Comment

Working...
          X