Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DKMG pickup change and keep the afterburner switch..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMG pickup change and keep the afterburner switch..

I have an older model dkmg with the emghz's and an afterburner switch.

I have seen mixed reviews on the ab switch..my main question is

can i use the afterburner switch with a seymour duncan jb/jazz configuration?
    i have seen people say no and i have seen advertisements that say "for use with active or passive pickups"

may not even need it for the sd combo, but would be cool to have.
    thanks

Yes, you can use it with Duncans, no problem.

Comment

In my experience. If you are using distortion from your amp or an effects unit it will add very little to your sound except make it more fizzy. I'm planning to remove mine and shift the volume and tone knobs leaving more space around the bridge pickup.
      Power chords...what more do you need?!

Comment

Originally posted by EPB View Post
        In my experience. If you are using distortion from your amp or an effects unit it will add very little to your sound except make it more fizzy. I'm planning to remove mine and shift the volume and tone knobs leaving more space around the bridge pickup.

are you still using the hz's?

it is fizzy, and truthfully i dont care if i have it or not, just thought it was cool at first.

anyone heard one with some duncans?

Comment

im assuming the afterburner would make just about any pickup more fizzy when engaged. this coming from a dkmgt owner with the exact same pickup/knob config you do.
          that afterburner in my opinion was a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedinky View Post
            im assuming the afterburner would make just about any pickup more fizzy when engaged. this coming from a dkmgt owner with the exact same pickup/knob config you do.
            that afterburner in my opinion was a waste of time.
            +1

Comment

I put JB/Jazz setup in mine with a five way switch. I left the afterburner in and I like it. I use it for boosting up the coil split sounds and for a lead boost. More of a blues thing than a metal thing. Mine isn't noisy or fizzy but I guess it depends on the gain settings on your amp.
              RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
              CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
              Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
              Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

I still have the hz's in at the moment. I have thought about changing them out but never got around to it. I'm tempted to do the JB/Jazz setup that spencer has but would probably remove the boost if I did.
                It is great for boosting a clean tone for a lead boost and pushes the signal into overdrive.
                If you are already playing through an overdrive channel it will simply addd more gain to the signal and it will sound more fizzy but not louder.
                It isn't much use to your average jackson dinky player (playing through distortion or overdrive most of the time) but for blues, pop or country I can see the use for it.
                Power chords...what more do you need?!

Comment

its a done deal, The DKMG now has a jb/jazz setup and the seitch is still there, although i may never use it.

wierd thing though, my jb pickup sounded really muddy until i clipped a solder on the switch that was jumping 2 posts.. cleared it up really well.
                  but made me wonder if the hz would have sounded better if i had done that as well..

wonder what it was even jumped for? it wasnt the jump that made the 3 way switch work in the center position and all the rails worked.. just made it muddy and low..

dunno, sounds good now.

Comment

I swapped out my Hz for a JB/59 combo and left in the Afterburner. As stated above, the Afterburner is quite usable as a clean boost and can be used to just push that slight bit of 'dirty' into a clean channel with just a wee bit of gain on it. Think of December by Collective Soul...just enough boost to dirty up the main riff.
                    Kramer Paul Dean Signature (Harvest Yellow)
                    Kramer Focus 6000 (Candy Red)
                    Ibanez RG-1550M (Poisoned Pumpkin)
                    Ibanez RG-550 (Laser Blue)
                    Squire Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster (3 Color Sunburst)
                    Jackson DKMG Dinky (Black Forest Green)
                    Jackson DXMG Dinky (Black)
                    Ibanez RG-120 (Sparkly Red)

Comment

Have you checked for functionality of your tone knob? I most definitely did not have to clip anything on my DKMG with Afterburner. Maybe you had the tone knob rolled all the way back without realizing it and that is why it sounded dull and muddy; maybe clipping the jumper eliminated the tone pot from the circuit?

Originally posted by Betrayer View Post
                      its a done deal, The DKMG now has a jb/jazz setup and the seitch is still there, although i may never use it.

wierd thing though, my jb pickup sounded really muddy until i clipped a solder on the switch that was jumping 2 posts.. cleared it up really well.
                      but made me wonder if the hz would have sounded better if i had done that as well..

wonder what it was even jumped for? it wasnt the jump that made the 3 way switch work in the center position and all the rails worked.. just made it muddy and low..

dunno, sounds good now.
                      Kramer Paul Dean Signature (Harvest Yellow)
                      Kramer Focus 6000 (Candy Red)
                      Ibanez RG-1550M (Poisoned Pumpkin)
                      Ibanez RG-550 (Laser Blue)
                      Squire Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster (3 Color Sunburst)
                      Jackson DKMG Dinky (Black Forest Green)
                      Jackson DXMG Dinky (Black)
                      Ibanez RG-120 (Sparkly Red)

Comment

Working...
                      X