Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD 1990 Soloist Pro has arrived, going old school!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD 1990 Soloist Pro has arrived, going old school!!!!!!

So this thing arrived yesterday
    It's incredibly clean. Looks like it was a case queen, literally zero fret wear, no dings
    on the body. case is perfect.
    I polished the frets, oiled the board and set her up in E flat with 10-46's.
    I'm undecided on the bridge pick up and the whole mid boost thingy?
    it does add a lot of noise but I really like what it does to the single coil pickups.
    If I can swap it out and keep the mid boost active I may throw in a Bareknuckle Holydiver or a duncan Sh-5.
    does the midboost change the tonal characteristics of the pickup when it's off?
    it actually does sound quite good thru my mark IV.
    It's lighter than my SL2h-Mah, but the necks feel very similar.
    Overall I think I scored!
    anyway on to pics

If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Hot! Congrats.

Comment

Wow! She is a beauty. Congrats.
      MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Smokin'.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

I'd never switch out the pickups on those guitars. I've got one from the same year.

Comment

Can anyone here answer this for me.
            the ative mid boost works great with the singles.
            The bridge pickup is not so great.
            If I swap it out for an SH-5 or a BK holydiver and leave the active sircuit in, if the knob is
            turned all the way off will it color the tone of the pickup at all?
            The bridge pickup that's in there now sounds almost like a strat single coil when when the boost is dialed down all the way (off).
            is that the circuit or this that the way this Jackson pickup sounds (with or without the circuit in there?)

Comment

Hey man, did you change your battery? It's funny, I have an identical 1990 Pro. I'm pretty happy with the bridge pickup, though.
              I only need one more guitar.

Comment

I thought the Soloists came with the Gain Boost, not the Mid Sweep?

Anyway, the pickups are passive, so you can swap the bridge for anything you want.

However, I do believe the Gain boost could be bypassed, and wasn't integrated into the master volume knob, unlike the Mid Sweep and the bass boards that had a 50K pot mounted directly to the board.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's a perfect guitar - you'd be crazy to change the pickups or fiddle with the mid-boost.
                  Charvel 475 Deluxe - Lefty
                  Hamer Explorer - Lefty
                  Black Limba Superstrat - Lefty
                  Digitech GSP-21 Legend
                  Marshall 8080

Comment

Look and see which mid boost you have first.There are a few different ones.
                    Yes change the battery that might be your problem.
                    I would leave the stock pick ups in there.The bridge should be a J-80 and that is a very kick ass pickup.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

the catalog says J-50C ?????????????????
                      I'll have to take a look. there is plenty of juice in the boost so Ithink the battery is fine.
                      I'm just not loving the noise or the overall tone of the bridge pickup.
                      the 2 singles????? I likey.

Comment

Congrats! Got exactly the same one, except for a few dings more.
                        I thought the pickups were ok too, till I plugged them into my marshall, horrible screeching sound.

If it plays anything like mine it's one hell of a shredder!

Comment

The mid-boost will add noise. It's a preamp. I have a Warrior Pro and it is quite noisy between playing.
                          Last edited by wilkinsi; 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Any pickup will work with the preamp, even EMG's.

Only the JE1500 mid sweep had a full bypass option. As long as you are going through the preamp, there will be some coloration.

Comment

The guitar looks amazing!
                              As I've never owned a USA Jackson can someone tell me how these really compare to a USA soloist as I might have the opportunity to buy one (early 90's soloist pro) soon but as my GAS far exceeds my funds I'm wondering should I pass it by and keep saving my money for a US model?
                              Power chords...what more do you need?!

Comment

Working...
                              X