Opinions of Japanes made Soloists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions of Japanes made Soloists

I'm looking at a beautiful Japanese made soloist on eBay and wondered what people think of them compared to the USA models? It has a rosewood fretboard as the only spec difference; how is the quality?

Have you searched the forum archives? I believe there is a thread w/pics dedicated to this topic.

Comment

Any guitar can be made to play as well as another. Some people like rosewood boards just fine, and moto sharkies.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
        Any guitar can be made to play as well as another. Some people like rosewood boards just fine, and moto sharkies.
        Who can even tell the difference between moto and mop? I can't

Comment

since only the board is different I'm going to assume that it's the xl. assume guitars,
          the logo is different too. USA is MOP.
          The next model up fromthe XL the PRO really hurt US sales back in the early 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
            Who can even tell the difference between moto and mop? I can't
            I do think they reflect light diff ?
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
              I do think they reflect light diff ?
              Really? I tried to distinguish between the two using my LP Custom and DK2 and didn't have any luck.

Comment

Really? I tried to distinguish between the two using my LP Custom and DK2 and didn't have any luck.
                lay them both on the floor and move around the room.

Comment

Jap soloists are great. No two ways about it... on par with USA? Depends on the model. If its the XL youre talking about, then yeah its a great axe, Ive got one.

As far as MOP vs. MOTO, I can tell the difference even from a shitty cameraphone pic. MOTO=LAMEO!
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I can tell a huge difference between MOP and moto inlays, moto inlays look like plastic and are like a pearl white color with bland reflection. MOP, damn can those things gleam! they have hints of different colors like light green and pinks and they shine like diamonds compared to moto inlays.
                    As for the quality of the japanese soloists, theyre top notch comfortable guitars, If youre buying a new one you might as well buy a used USA soloist since those go for about a grand too. If youre getting a sweet deal on a Jap soloist, then DONT hesitate

Comment

the pro I just recently picked up is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite scores.
                      This thing just plays so effortlessly.
                      Once the new pickups go in (later this week) I would be hard pressed to have to pick this one or my USA SL2H-Mah.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

There is a bunch of different MIJ Soloists with different specs over the years. Which are you looking at?
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Does the Custom use real MOP? I thought Gibson used MOTO for the most part (maybe I'm mistaken about the Custom).
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Does the Custom use real MOP? I thought Gibson used MOTO for the most part (maybe I'm mistaken about the Custom).
                            IDK, but that would explain why I was unable to distinguish between the two...

Comment

I am looking at a pro hanging on the wall, and two of the sharkies are reflecting blue. I don't think thats the case with moto?

Comment

Working...
                              X