No announcement yet.

Opinions of Japanes made Soloists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience, MOTO inlays will all look rather uniform in color/pattern all the way up the board; Real MOP shows quite a bit of variety in color/pattern from one inlay to the next. MOP should also change colors at different angles.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
      IDK, but that would explain why I was unable to distinguish between the two...
      My Les Paul Studio has the MOTO, and even Jackson MOTO looks better than the stuff Gibson uses. Hell, I thought the inlays on my Mark Morton model were MOP at first but I can tell the difference now that I've got my RR1T.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        My Les Paul Studio has the MOTO, and even Jackson MOTO looks better than the stuff Gibson uses. Hell, I thought the inlays on my Mark Morton model were MOP at first but I can tell the difference now that I've got my RR1T.
        Good info--thanks. There wasn't much diff between my LP and DK2 last time I looked, but I'll definitely research this. It would be nice if makers like LP and Fender didn't cheapen their products from time to time, but they did create an opportunity for other companies to come in and make some great guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by spider murphy View Post
          In my experience, MOTO inlays will all look rather uniform in color/pattern all the way up the board; Real MOP shows quite a bit of variety in color/pattern from one inlay to the next. MOP should also change colors at different angles.
          thats why I said lay them down and walk around the room, they will change colors if they are mop. even dot inlays are noticable, on the 12 fret one looks blue-ish and the othe looks normal, if they are mop. the U.S.A and pro's sharkies really color up when looking at different angles.
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I have a Japanese made Soloist XL and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played, and I've tried out my fair share of guitars. It has been beat around the block by both me and its previous owner but it is still going strong. The frets may be getting a bit worn after almost 20 years of use but I will be getting those replaced when the time comes. Nothing beats the neck on it. It's noticeably thinner than my newer Jacksons but it's not stupidly thin like Ibanez necks (Those things cramp my hand up).

the MOTO on my DK2 looks a lot more bland to me than the MOP on my Soloist XL. The way MOP "moves" colour and pattern is not replicated very well with MOTO so that clues me in instantly. Plus the missing "depth". It's kinda like comparing the old style Chlorine finish on the PC1 to the new Chlorine finish. It's still blue but it isn't nearly as nice looking. The old style looked almost like a blue body of water with waves moving while the new one looks like a piece of figured maple coloured blue.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I agree with ben; these pro and xl models are nice guitars! Are they as nice as U.S.A's of the same time frame I don't think so, but they are comparable! And a lot cheaper to buy, so thats a win win, if you are not wanting to blow alot of dough.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
              X