Just picked up an SL3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up an SL3

Hey guys, Just picked up a Jackson SL3 in Transparent Red. I really love it. I'm usually an Ibanez guy, but have been getting frustrated with their quality of their guitars lately.

I believe it is a pre-06 model, because it has the Licensed floyd instead of the FRT02000.

Do any of you guys know if the OFR will fit into this guitar? Imight upgrade.

I was going to go get a setup - or should I do it myself?

I like this guitar alot. I noticed though the tremolo bar is like a matte silver finish- a bit different than the "chrome" finish on the floyd rose. Can anyone verify this on their sl3? I did buy it used so was just wondering.

'06? They changed to the FRT for... 2010 IIRC. Definitely later than '06.

Anyway, nice guitar. The OFR should go right on there bridge-wise, but the nut won't fit. You'd need to have the lock nut shelf buzzed down and have the holes filled and re-drilled. If you're going to use the tremolo a lot that could be worth it. You can use the existing nut if you like... I don't think those nuts are the greatest.

Comment

I have one of the Sam Ash soloists that is an '06 that has the FRT... So who knows?

Don't mean to thread jack, but is only the licensed nut different than an OFR nut? I would imagine the FRT and OFR nuts are the same?

Great looking guitar BTW

Comment

What's the ser#?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nice. I've got one too and I love it to death. The trem on mine is chrome though, I wouldn't call it matt.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

He's saying his trem is chrome but the bar is matte. And isn't the route for the LP much bigger than an OFR? If looks matter, you may want to look here http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm before you got at it. A bit more than 1/2 way down the page, natural quilted maple guitar with OFR in a JT580LP route.
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by potatohead View Post
              I have one of the Sam Ash soloists that is an '06 that has the FRT... So who knows?

Don't mean to thread jack, but is only the licensed nut different than an OFR nut? I would imagine the FRT and OFR nuts are the same?

Great looking guitar BTW
              Yeah, the Sam Ash is a different beast. It also has binding... FRT and OFR nuts are not exactly the same but very, very close. The licensed nuts are not as tall and have different mounting hole locations.

Comment

Ok guys, sorry to reply so late!

Yeah, if I would need to drill at the nut etc... NVM that, I will just leave the JT580LP in there, I only use the tremolo system to "accentuate" my playing anyway.

Yeah, I meant that the JT580 LP itself is silver etc... but the Tremolo "arm" is like a "matte" gray. A different color than the JT580.

I bring this up, because I purchased this guitar from Ebay. So I was just wondering if the original seller gave me a aftermarket tremolo arm.

Thanks for all of your responses - oh and RacerX, (I love Racer X, and Paul gilbert for that matter), the serial # is 031298.

I tried to figure out the year, but apparently, it's much harder with jacksons. My old Ibanez's were very easy etc...

Comment

Welcome to the fold. I switched to a Jackson SL3 rec ently and came from an Ibanez RG so I can appreciate the fun you're having. At first I found it difficult to adapt to the thicker neck on the Jackson but now I love it and the compound radius works a treat. I'd say the build quality is better than on the equivalent Ibanez guitars but there's still room for improvement. I got mine new and the action was sky high and at some point I will need to skim the frets a bit above the 12th fret. It's certainly not built as well as a PRS SE guitar but I still love it.

Comment

Originally posted by XxAlbertoxX View Post
                    oh and RacerX, (I love Racer X, and Paul gilbert for that matter), the serial # is 031298.

I tried to figure out the year, but apparently, it's much harder with jacksons. My old Ibanez's were very easy etc...
                    Well, it's not hard at all: on Japanese neckthroughs of this era, the year is the first 2 digits, ergo, it's a 2003.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                    X