Jackson PS-2 Performer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson PS-2 Performer

What years were the Japanese PS-2's made and where can i find official information regarding serial numbers and dating?

What woods were used? The one i recently bought is supposedly Alder.
    Last edited by Scribner; 09-08-2010, 03:50 PM.

I believe they were made from 1995 to 1998 and the PS1/PS2/PS4 models were alder.

Comment

Thanks. I checked most of the catalogs on the Jackson site but didnt see the PS-2 i will look through those years again.

Comment

Here is a pic. My camera is old and the battery lasted for one shot. Hard to tell but it is purple sparkle and i thing it may be called "Black Cherry". Whoever owned it took good care of it, looks fairly new. And even came with a hardshell case.

I put another tone control and doesnt show in the pic but that is Telecaster switch and knob with Strat. knobs. The pots are 2 Gibson 1 Meg and 500K for tone and maybe use a 250 or 500 for volume not sure but leaning towards the 500K volume. Comes with a 500 and i think a 250. Worked out very well so far and the parts i changed I already had - pots, knobs, switch, pickup. The switch is a Telecaster three way and dont plan on using a 5 way switch.

Also, put a DiMarzio in the bridge but the original pickup is a JT70 and is actually very good. The single coils arent as good though.

This is my first Jackson and i know it is fairly cheap model but the MIJ can really rock. If i get my camera to work i will take some more pics.

Does anyone know if the JT70 bridge is used in other Jacksons? Just saw one on eBay for $10.00. Guess not too highly regarded.

Anyone else here own or owned a PS-2 or have some images\comments? When i get my camera working i will update with some more images.

How many pieces are these performer bodies? 1, 3...9
        Last edited by Scribner; 09-08-2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

What's the ser # ?
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

owned a few. all but one was good to me. one of em had a not so thin neck on it. i mean it was still thin, but not like the others. basically the followup from the concepts i believe. professional to a year of concepts then performers. not sure what you're asking about the jt70. are you refering to the pickup or the bridge? the bridge should be a jt=580 i think. from what i can recall, pickups were barely decent for metal. good for rock

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              What's the ser # ?

Comment

Originally posted by Scribner View Post
                Made in the Japan factory around 1997 or '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribner View Post
                  Thanks. I checked most of the catalogs on the Jackson site but didnt see the PS-2 i will look through those years again.
                  Here's the Performer page from the '97 cat, with the specs along the bottom:

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...1997Page20.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    Here's the Performer page from the '97 cat, with the specs along the bottom:

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...1997Page20.jpg
                    Yep, there it is. 97-98.

jdr94, the bridge pickup.

Comment

theres only like 2 or 3 jackson humbuckers that are worth a crap. (j-90, j-80, and somethin else i think)the rest in my experience suck. if you're goin thru a modeler or somethin like that then they sound fine, but if you're goin thru a tube amp and like high gain then i'd just throw a duncan or somethin in there.

edit- if you look at that link you'll the ps-4, but whats actually pictured is a jdr-94 you can read it on the truss cover. i know, has nothin to do with the ps-2 i just noticed it and thought it was funny.
                      Last edited by jdr94; 09-11-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. For a low price used guitar I cant complain. I find it interesting how the necks are pieced together and had to look at a few images on the net to be sure they really are made like that. Are the headstocks one piece? Its hard to tell.

edit- if you look at that link you'll the ps-4, but whats actually pictured is a jdr-94 you can read it on the truss cover. i know, has nothin to do with the ps-2 i just noticed it and thought it was funny.
                        The old Jackson catalogs are pretty cool, i looked at pretty much all of them but couldnt find the ps-2. Maybe that year is not on Jacksons site.

Comment

Here is the beauty. The paint is very thin on these guitars, chip easily:

Havent had time to work on it just put a DiMarzio in the bridge.

Here are the neck and middle pickups. Original and like new. I am gonna sell em for a $100. For all three pickups.

Well thats about it. All i need to do now is find two more pickups.

Comment

I like the bridge pickup tone in these but not hot enough. I have one here that I want to find a guitar to drop in into. I never should have sold the ps2 I had.

Comment

Awesome color.

I only used the original pickups for a day. The bridge was passable though. This is the way my guitar is going to stay - image below. I had all the pickups, actually had them in boxes for a few years. Now i am left with one EMG85 and one single coil SA.

Sounds great though. Glad i went with the EMG's.

Neck and middle went into original screw holes in the body too. One thing i had to do was drill out the holes for wires just a little to pass them though. Took the spring plate off the back.

What is inside for controls is a small notch that Jackson put there started, though i wouldnt drill through a guitar costing more than this one. I'm not a professional.

Thanks for reading the long post. All around great guitar from eBay.

Comment

Working...
                              X