Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist Pro STD??

Hi all,

This craigslist ad caught my eye recently and I've been trying to figure out if it is what he says it is, or not. I think it's a Soloist Pro STD...any confirmation on that? And if so, is it worth the $500 he's asking? I can't seem to find any reviews from people on this particular model. :think:

Thanks!
    (anyone already check it out in Dallas?)

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/1888010353.html
    "What solace lies in the arms of fate"

Yeah, thats a Soloist PRO STD.
    The main differences between the STD and the fabled 90s soloist PROs is that the STD has:
    -rosewood fretboard
    -no binding
    -MOP dot inlays
    -cheaper trem...a JT-580 if I recall correctly
    -the logo isnt MOP(IIRC)

The good points is that, its neckthru and it has a quartersawn neck and plays just like the higher end PROs in my opinion.

here's the catalogue scan of the STD: http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...1993Page18.jpg

500 seems steep to me. Especially since he says "This guitar was made to the same specs as all of the jackson U.S.A soloist." it just seems like he's trying to sell it for more than its worth.
    Get him to lower the price.
    Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 09-08-2010, 05:19 PM. Reason: adding some info

Comment

Well i read some of his post and i get the feeling he's trying to make it seem like that's a pro, but it isn't. That's actually a Soloist Pro STD. STD is for Standard so it's a professional Standard. After this model, you get the XL which is supposedly a lot like the Pro model, but a little less quality. And then there is the pro model. They are all in the professional series. Some people will say what they will about em. I paid about 400$ for my Professional STD and i effing love it. It's simplestic because of the lack of binding and sharkies, but it plays fantastic. I was in between that and a recent SL1 and for the 1000$+ difference, i went with the STD. Plays amazing, and i had money for another axe .

Comment

Thanks for the help and info! (Man, I love this place...so many knowledgeable people around here!!)

So it's a professional series, but it's not a PRO...would that be technically correct? I see from that scan that there is something else called the soloist "pro" and the XL. I think he's trying to pass it off as a "pro"...but maybe it's still worth it? (I dig the color)

I just saw a REAL pro in the classifieds here that seems maybe a better deal. But maybe I'll see who chimes in on this. Like I said, I couldn't find anyone playing the std model but the search engine here doesn't like those short three letter kind of non-words.

Comment

Hey Fender! Just posted without seeing you reply...thanks. I was sort of thinking that it might play the same, just without the "extras" that people seem to like. Eh...maybe I'll offer him $400 and see where it goes.

Comment

Yeah these guys ll make fun of you for it. I've had a ton of jackson/charvels with sharkies. But i've never paid that cheap for a guitar that played that good. The neck is very slim and has an absolutely amazing feeling.

Comment

The Soloist Pro Standard is a beast. I have one and it absolutely shreds. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the XL or Pro, but it makes up for it by having the holy grail of the Jackson pickup line the J92C in the bridge. Also, it's a neck-thru guitar and as far as I understand the STD, XL and Pro were all made from the same body blanks. The XLs got rosewood with binding and the Pros got ebony with binding. Basically, the Standard will have the same feel as the XL or the Pro, but with a slightly less flashy finishing kit as it were. It has a licensed JT580 trem, no binding, dot inlays and no active circuit like the XL and the Pro. 500 isn't really a "deal" but given the market I'd say it's a fair price. It's on the high side of fair, but it's in the ballpark. If you can get him to go for 400-450 that's a good deal.

There is actually someone posting to sell a Soloist Pro in the classifieds section now at what seems like a very reasonable price. Either way. The Soloist Standard is a great guitar, it just lacks the higher end finishing kit of the XLs and Pros. That being said, I took my Soloist Standard to get setup when I bought it and the JT580 it has NEVER goes out of tune.

Comment

Working...
              X