NGD Jackson AT Pro, w/Bonus Lace wood Futura Pro content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Jackson AT Pro, w/Bonus Lace wood Futura Pro content

So it turns out that august was New Guitar Month at my house. These trickled in last month and I just figured I'd throw em up for your viewing pleasure as well.

First is a 1991 “Kip Winger” Futura. This is the actual Kip Winger model, and in terms of features is the ritziest one they made (probably one of the nicest production Jackson basses ever). The body is solid lacewood, which is actually a really nice figured wood that you don't see too often. I'm reserving full judgment till I put on some fresh strings, but I think I actually prefer the tone of my 91 Futura XL (which is the same except for PJ pickups and a maple body), it just seems “growlier”. I'm probably going to replace both sets of pickups in the near future. Probably more vintage sounding passives in the XL and some more modern sounding active Hbs in the Pro, any recommendations?

Second is a 1990 Jackson AT Pro. Acoustically its the nicest guitar I own, the Ebony on the fretboard is really nice too. This will probably be my main guitar after it goes in for a fret job. I ordered Suhr Aldriches for this one (same kind of covers), but I was too hasty and got the 50mm bridge. Does anybody know if they make the Aldrich with a Nickel cover in 53mm?

Grats on the Winger. I had one in that color. I shoulda kept it

And yeah, Lacewood is beautiful.

As for liking the tone of the bolt-on better, the neckthrough definitely has a more mellow tone than a bolt-on. New strings will make it more fun to play, and new pickups might change the sound a bit, but lacewood is related to mahogany, so it's going to retain the mellow tone. It's not a bad tone, mind you, it's just not as punchy as a bolt-on.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Grats on the Winger. I had one in that color. I shoulda kept it

And yeah, Lacewood is beautiful.

As for liking the tone of the bolt-on better, the neckthrough definitely has a more mellow tone than a bolt-on. New strings will make it more fun to play, and new pickups might change the sound a bit, but lacewood is related to mahogany, so it's going to retain the mellow tone. It's not a bad tone, mind you, it's just not as punchy as a bolt-on.
      The XL is actually a neck through as well.

Comment

But a neck thru will have more sustain

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          But a neck thru will have more sustain
          Don't say that around any Talkbass guys , cause its highly debatable, 80% of the crazy high end stuff is bolt on.

Anyways its irrelevant here, as the XL is a neck through as well.

Comment

Those are some GORGEOUS fucking guitars man, congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X