Need help Identifying this guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help Identifying this guitar...

It's a bolt on neck. Looks like maple. The reverse headstock says "Jackson Professional" on it. The truss rod cover is blank. The neck is 24 frets offset [top] dot markers.

The body is a "Dinky" body (I've been told this anyhow...) However the finish is throwing me for a loop, because I've never seen this kind of finish before... it appears the be a sort of "unfinished" black stain or flat/satin paint. It catches highlights but not the mirror finish high gloss that I am use to on other guitars. There is also a visible wood grain texture instead of a glass smooth surface.

That's all I know about the finish. It appears the hardware is original. I can't tell what the pickups are. Just that they are double-humbucking. The tremelo system says "Jackson" on it. Looks like a Floyd.

The serial is: 604940 on a Jackson embossed plate. There is no "J" leading the serial. I have no clue what year this guitar is, if it's real, not or custom? Any experts out there who can tell me about this?

I would really like to know the stats for this so I can put it up for sale.

Pictures would be a huge help here.
    Are the pickups covered or open faced? Is the hardware chrome, silver, etc? What is the control layout?

Going off of what you have stated so far, I would guess maybe a DR5?
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I'll try to get pictures later. I don't have the means right now. The hardware is all black. One volume knob, one tone knob and a 3 position switch. The pickups are open and attached directly to the body. There are no covers of any kind on or around the pickups.
      Last edited by MetalElf; 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Serial makes it a 1996.
        Possibly a DR, but would need pics.
        -Rick

Comment

Sounds from your description like a satin finished ash body.

Comment

Is the ouput jack recessed on the top of of the guitar. Or is it in the standard postion on the edge? Are the side elliptical or contoured like a carved top?
            What color is the finger board? black or brown?
            Gil

Comment

Nice WTS ad.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The output jack is on the standard position on the bottom edge. The fingerboard is brown rosewood. I don't know what "WTS" is. Anyhow I was able to get a friend to take a picture:

Comment

WTS means "Want to Sell".

People who register with a discussion forum just
                  for the purpose of selling a guitar are generally considered to be
                  lacking in class.

I still own the guitar I signed on to simply ID it, and don't ever plan on
                  selling it.

At least you stated your purpose right up front, most don't do that.

Comment

Body looks like a dr3 but the neck look like plain old dr? maybe a mutt?

I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                      WTS means "Want to Sell".

People who register with a discussion forum just
                      for the purpose of selling a guitar are generally considered to be
                      lacking in class.

I still own the guitar I signed on to simply ID it, and don't ever plan on
                      selling it.

At least you stated your purpose right up front, most don't do that.
                      Thanks for the contribution.

Comment

Working...
                      X