Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk to me about DK2's (Eerie Dess content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about DK2's (Eerie Dess content)

Hello. It's been a LOOONG time since I've posted here, but that's another story, which I won't go into now.

Truth is, I'm not really a Jackson guy. I do own one Jackson (an import King V, which I do like), but most of my guitars are BC Riches and Gibsons. I own way too many guitars, BTW, mostly pointy models in girlie colors. Lately, however, I've gotten onto a Super Strat kick. I brought my old Kramers out of the closet and even picked up a couple new Gunslingers. And now the DK2 with Eerie Dess finish has caught my eye.

I admit my interest is purely cosmetic. What can I say, I'm a shallow guy. As previously mentioned, I already have too many guitars and certainly don't need another. But for the hell of it, tell me about the DK2. What do you folks - who know far more about Jackson than myself - think of this model? Worth the $750-800 they go for new with this finish (based on my in depth market research on eBay)? And is this neck pocket issue I've seen mentioned common on all DK2's or just the DK2M?

Speaking of buying new, it appears all of the big chains (Musician's Friend, Sam Ash, AMS, etc) are out of the DK2's in Eerie Dess. Plus, some clown on Youtube said Jackson has discontinued it (not sure if he meant the finish or the model)...any truth to this? For the record, I don't usually get my info from Youtube.

In looking at eBay, I've noticed the older models have chrome hardware and Duncan Designed pickups...doesn't look as sharp to me...how do these old ones compare to the newer ones quality wise (besides the pickup difference)?

BTW, I could care less if we're talking HSS or HH models, as I only use the bridge pickup 99% of the time...so I'd certainly be open to a DK2M in Eerie Dess.

Anyway, please share any thoughts you have on this model, even if it's to tell me to stop choosing my guitars by the color (won't do any good, though).

-Gary
    Last edited by goldsparkletop; 09-17-2010, 07:58 PM.

Originally posted by goldsparkletop View Post
    BTW, I could care less if we're talking HSS or HH models, as I only use the bridge pickup 99% of the time...so I'd certainly be open to a DK2M in Eerie Dess.
    As far as I know, the only difference between a DK2 and a DK2M is that the DK2M has a maple fretboard and black inlays instead of the regular rosewood fretboard with moto inlays. Of course, I could be way off here...
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I bought a DK2 a couple of months ago and I'm loving it. The color, October Pearl, is an odd one...bright orange with shades of pink and red, to my eye. Perhaps a little on the girlie side but I like it and I picked it because of the unusual color.

I paid $700 for it, new with HSC, and I think it's a great bang for the buck. This one has black hardware, JT580LP, and a JB in the bridge. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews over the years about the JB and was prepared to want to change it, but to my ears it sounds so big, balanced, and full that I'm not going to touch a thing. Previously I used a SD distortion, one of the parallel axis models, in a basswood body guitar and really loved the lead thing it had going on...but that setup seemed to be very biased to the low end. With the JB, in this guitar, I'm hearing everything. I rarely if ever use the neck or middle SD stacked singles.

When I got it I looked over the guitar and the neck joint was one of the first things I checked. I'd never heard of that being a problem with these models in particular at the time, but it's perfect. Same for nut and bridge alignment. To my eyes the guitar is flawless. Frets, binding, paint...everything.

For the money I think they're great guitars. I love mine.

Comment

As far as comparing old to new, your right in the pickup difference, and hardware. Same quality in construction and materials, DK2's, DK2M's, and DK2T's are all soild guitars. I own a DK2T, and play it all the time, my only complaint is I wish the neck was a little thicker, not so Ibanez-like thin. But, thats just personal perference.

Comment

I have a dk2m and it's a fine player for the price, no complaints ~ with minor set up work, it's got great action. The stock seymour duncans(TB4 IIRC) sound good, the stock trem is fully functional.
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
          X