Surprise pick up of SLSMG...on ebay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise pick up of SLSMG...on ebay!

I wasn't really looking for this, but thought it seemed like a good deal and, well, before I knew it...I sent the dude an offer and he took it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-SOLOIST-...#ht_500wt_1154

Basically, a red slsmg for $350 shipped. Seems decent to me although I know it has the old EMG-HZs which no one seems to like, and it does have a couple of chips, but seems like a decent deal, eh?

I'm psyched to have a new axe coming in regardless...anyone have some words of wisdom with this guitar? I've been reading up trying to do my homework and will post pics once I get it.
    "What solace lies in the arms of fate"

I found a black one in a pawn shop locally for $350.00 It has the HZ's too.No case kills it for me.
    HZ's are OK just need to upgrade the pots and caps I had one and did that sounded great after.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Nice. I thought getting mine with case for $400 was good! Then again, it had an X2N installed
      Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah, I know the no case thing sucks. He said he's throwing in a gig bag. But I've seen cases around here for $50 so I should be able to find something protective for not much $$. But the black also seems more popular and IMHO, I dig the red over black.

straycat - what pots and caps did you use for the upgrade? I've never done any electronic work to a guitar before, but maybe this could be the time!

I also have some stray pickups around that I've collected over the last few years - a JB, and even a pair of EMG 81/85. I think I saw somewhere on here how to convert this to active, but I'm not sure.

Comment

rsguitarworks.net
          Very high quality kits I use them a lot.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I just got a similar, though not quite as inexpensive as yours. I went with EMG 81TW-X and 89-X in mine and couldn't be happier. Switchcraft jack, EMG brand solderless switch, it's pretty slick and it screams. GREAT guitar. Yours is pretty much the same guitar as mine.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/110318-New-toy!-Big-pics. to see mine and questions/answers about them.

Comment

Congrats on the SLSMG. I got one brand new in red back in February from musicians friend for $699.99 minus the case (one of the last ones they offered brand new in red). Mine came stock with the EMG 81/85 set in the bridge and neck, respectively, which I reversed soon after getting it and put the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. The 85 in the bridge was much better suited to my sound, but I think it was also a better pickup in the neck than the 81 currently is, so eventually I plan to get another 85 for the neck, or maybe an 85X for the bridge and then throw the 85 I have back in the neck.

Of course, I have no knowledge of the neck dimensions on USA soloists, other import Soloists, or majority of the Jackson necks in general (especially due to reading that neck dimensions have changed over the years and the fact that the only other Jackson I own is a DXMGT). However, I can say that the neck on my SLSMG is the widest neck I've ever played which I actually like because I found that it made many chords used in broken arpeggios much easier because I could be a little more relaxed with my fretting and not have to worry about creating too many dead notes on other strings I wanted to ring out. I'm not sure if the neck on your SLSMG will be as wide, but that's just my two cents about the neck on mine.

As far as words of wisdom go, I think the guitar is great. It's nice and lightweight similar to a Gibson SG, so it's definitely easier on your back when playing standing up. The sustain is very nice due to the neck thru construction and incredible bridge height from the body (looks deceiving like the bridge is set up way too high the first time you see it, but it's just due to the way the body naturally angles and how the bridge is placed on the body). It's easy to play solos, scale runs, sweeps, etc... Rhythm work is generally easy though I find alternate picking riffs like Megadeth or Annihilator to be a little more challenging for me either due to bridge height or possibly just bad technique on my part, lol. Same goes for pinch harmonics too. I gotta look into these things again next time I play my SLSMG

However, I haven't played mine in over a month due to being away at college and having my SLSMG being kept safe at home. I miss that guitar a lot right now. Anways, once again, congratulations on your purchase and I think you'll be very happy with it, especially for the price you paid for it. I think you definitely got a deal!
              Last edited by Total_Annihilation; 09-18-2010, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                rsguitarworks.net
                Very high quality kits I use them a lot.
                Cool - thanks! Any particular kit, or things that you would recommend for this? (Sorry, noob here with all that) I'm not sure where to start on that page...

Originally posted by cixelsyd View Post
                I just got a similar, though not quite as inexpensive as yours. I went with EMG 81TW-X and 89-X in mine and couldn't be happier. Switchcraft jack, EMG brand solderless switch, it's pretty slick and it screams. GREAT guitar. Yours is pretty much the same guitar as mine.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/110318-New-toy!-Big-pics. to see mine and questions/answers about them.
                Hey...I ran across that guitar when I was doing some research online - did you buy it from a seller in NYC? A couple little dings? I was thinking for a time that my eBay guitar was that one (yours!) But no...

Total_Annihilation - thanks for the info and help. Glad to hear that about the neck as I prefer a little width on the neck. Sounds like from what everyone is saying, I've got some fiddling to do in order to get a better sound. Should I start with pickups, or just change out the pots and caps as straycat suggests first?

Thanks everyone - much appreciated!

Comment

I thought the HZs were "Okay", but personally if I were to stick with passive pickups in it, I would go with Duncans. The HZs just don't really "do it" for me. I can't really see how swapping out the pots and cap will help, I mean, the cap will change how your tone works, but that's about it...

I went with EMG actives because it's an SLS_MG_, lol... but I really like the X series.

Comment

Nice score. I love mine (altho i only paid 35 bucks for mine) ok so the headstock was snapped off. details details. Reglued still holding and sounds great. Mine had the HZ's too. Which i yanked out and tossed in a gibson paf and a JB. Awesome full fat tone. Some where between and SG and a les paul studio, But a better neck

Comment

If I had the "harpoon" headstock I'd probably bust it off too

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        If I had the "harpoon" headstock I'd probably bust it off too
                        Traditionally we have been calling this the "smurf hat"

Harpoon is the Rhoads Sandoval style...
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ok, so...this deal beats mine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1154

I can't tell if the pickups are HZ or not, but with a case, stap and strap locks - pretty damn good. What's up with these soloists going so cheap these days??

Comment

Originally posted by WannabeNnyc View Post
                            Ok, so...this deal beats mine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1154

I can't tell if the pickups are HZ or not, but with a case, stap and strap locks - pretty damn good. What's up with these soloists going so cheap these days??
                            I think as everyone else is aluding to, it's becuase of the headstock and the fact that some of the older models don't have active EMG's. I think that's the only complaint I have about the SLSMG, the headstock. I do like the one on there, but I think the traditional 6 in line headstock would look even better on it. Still, these 2 things shouldn't de-value the SLSMG by that much so I'm not sure why they are going so cheap either...

Comment

The SLSMG has been my main axe for wow, 3 years now, and there is no denying the quality. It's a fantastic guitar. I don't understand the hate for the AT/SLS headstock, but whatever...if it means getting a great guitar for cheap, so be it.
                              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                              X