PS4 vs DXMG???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS4 vs DXMG???

I'm just trolling for opinions. I stopped into guitar center the other day and notice they had a PS4 in their used section for $299 so I thought I'd check it out. It's in decent shape, has some buckle rash and a few scratches, but for it's age, I've seen lots worse. I don't think the Hums were original, but they sounded really good, I don't remember the PS4 that I has stolen having as much meat to it's tone as this one did. I did notice the Floyd was locked down, not sure how as the back plate was still on it, but judging from the heavy gauge strings that were on it, it was probably done to keep it in check.

Anyway, as I'm getting ready to leave, I noticed a Metallic Gray DXMG hanging up for $329, so I'm thinking, 30 bucks more, and it appears to be in nice shape. I'd get both if I could, but have to pick, so since I have absolutely no experience with DXMG I thought I'd reach out and ask which would be the better deal..
    Prosecutors will be violated...

First, the feel of the neck will be very different. The PS4 has a much thinner neck (front to back). Then there's the pups. PS4 has HSH, do you like that setup? And the DXMG has EMG-HZ's, right? What sound do you like? Play em both through an amp like or similar to yours and see which you like..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
      First, the feel of the neck will be very different. The PS4 has a much thinner neck (front to back). Then there's the pups. PS4 has HSH, do you like that setup? And the DXMG has EMG-HZ's, right? What sound do you like? Play em both through an amp like or similar to yours and see which you like..
      Actually, the PS4 neck is just a little bit beefier than the one on my DK2, somewhere close to my SDIII neck. I assume the DXMG is close to the same as the DK2 (which is actually a little too thin for my taste but doable) but I didn't get a chance to mess with that one much. I've had a PS4, and the JDR94 predecessor before so I pretty much know what to expect from them, I was a little suprised by the growl it had, I don't remember either one of the ones I had being that beefy sounding, but then, I was playing Marshall Valvestates back then and am playing a VOX now so that could be it. I like the humbuckers, could care less about the single in the middle, I'll prolly never use it. I don't even use the neck pup that much unless I'm playing clean.
      Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 09-29-2010, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Didn't the DX have some issues with the fit of the neck in the pocket?
        Not all, but worth looking at.

Funny, first thing I would do is swap out the Pups on the PS4.
        Mine are weak, and too close the strings.
        Mid pup is useless, I'd look at something stronger.

Same with HZ's, I've never liked them.
        Enough of the negs though, both are great players (as you already know).
        Either one should compare well the the JS or JD gits.

Comment

the ps4 has week but good sounding pickups but the price sounds high. I remember my jdr94 having a super thin neck.:think:
          the DXMG has a beefier neck than the dk2. The hz3s are pretty good pickups IMO. again the price is high, I 'd try 300 out the door on those.

Comment

The PS4 is one of the coolest Jacksons I've never owned. I love reverse headstocks, but I'm a card-carrying member of the "I Hate MOTO Inlays Club" and would rather have the offset dots of the PS4 than the MOTO sharkfins of the DXMG. Also, I dig the H/S/H pickup layout (my SDK2 has this) and some of the transparent finishes the PS4 was available in.
            sigpic

Comment

My JDR-94 has a super thin neck.
              I always thought the PS4 was priced more as a real "entry level" guitar so I would have expected that to be about $100 cheaper than the DXMG, but I don't know shit!
              Whatever, I actually prefer my JDR-94 to the "higher end" guitars I've had - the KE3, RR3, DK2 and DK2M. Sure the pickups and trem were worse on the JDR-94, but the actual guitar itself is just a nicer instrument.
              I also prefer the HSH config.

The only way to choose though is to play both a bit longer and see which appeals the most.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yea the neck on a ps-4 mij is different than ones mik, so are the pups sound wise. I thought the dx I had trem felt stiff? but they are both good guitars for the money(200)or less. I have had 4 ps-4s and only one dx though. All the ps-4s I have owned were trans finishs, but some I have seen are solid colors?
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                  My JDR-94 has a super thin neck.
                  I always thought the PS4 was priced more as a real "entry level" guitar so I would have expected that to be about $100 cheaper than the DXMG, but I don't know shit!
                  Whatever, I actually prefer my JDR-94 to the "higher end" guitars I've had - the KE3, RR3, DK2 and DK2M. Sure the pickups and trem were worse on the JDR-94, but the actual guitar itself is just a nicer instrument.
                  I also prefer the HSH config.

The only way to choose though is to play both a bit longer and see which appeals the most.
                  Oh I agree completely, and I'm leaning a little more toward the PS4, I just wish it was in a little better playing condition. The trem being locked down bothers me a bit so when I go up there tomorrow, I may see if they let me pop the cover off to see what's up. I really could use a good backup guitar, but if I have to put a sh*tload of work and money into it to make it comparable to my SDIII I might as well hold off for something better. I've already pretty much decided against the DXMG though, since I did some research with the cataloge scans and found out it was a Basswood body. I've never been happy with a Basswood guitar..

Comment

well i've learned that the maple neck i recently got from pete is from a ps4 and its nice and thin. i had a few ps4's and of about 5, one had a thicker profile. not sure why. i guess it depends. the ps4 IMO wins in neck, the dx wins in trem, both lose in pickups, and last would be color. i know the dxmg is grey, what color is the ps4. it could make all the difference to a person.

and if you can find a jt-580 at a good price, the guitar (also IMO) just became closer to being one of your main guitars.
                    Last edited by jdr94; 09-30-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Here's a pic of the PS4 I shot with my phone while I was there.

Notice the humbuckers. No Jackson logo, and they sounded a lot better than I remember mine sounding. I don't remember if the hums on my old one had.
                      Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 09-30-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

That's a decent PS-4, but I'm partial to neck binding and sharkies (even if MOTO).

Do this instead. Save your money and wait for a USA San Dimas to show up for $400 in craigslist, and offer the guy $360. That's what I just did tonight. Firecrackle too.

Comment

Ok, so I went back to GC and it was still there. The guy in the Guitar dept opened the back on it and it has what abounts to a white plastic trem block installed on it. I asked him about a price drop since it had been there awhile, and he lookjed it up, and dropped 30 bucks off the price, so I pulled the trigger on it. I'll post some better pics when I get it cleaned up and get a chance. I'm flying to Des Moines early in the morning so I may take it with me to have something to do in the hotel this week since my laptop is broken.

Comment

And those are the moments that can make a lifetime of memories.
                            Just me and the guitar, nothing in between.
                            I still remember that from a lifetime ago.

Comment

DXMGs got me into Jacksons but I prefered the thinner neck and HSH of the PS4 so I switched. I actually love the sound of the EMG HZs (I'm in a very small minority, I know) so when I found a JDR 94 with EMG HZs allready installed, I got that. The DXMGs I have owned/tried had pretty thick necks for Jacksons.

Comment

Working...
                              X