SLS3 or DK2M?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post

To the OP - they are vastly different guitars. Different necks, different tones, different feel. Don't buy the neck-through = more sustain myth. What you get with a neckthrough is slightly better upper fret access (due to the absence of a clunky heel) and a warmer tone. Bolt-ons tend to be brighter for whatever reason. Get whichever one feels better to you. As far as getting a swamp ash LP tone...you already have that. Get something different!

Yes, I would think that's OBVIOUS. Thanks.

I'm not sure how anyone got that idea. At no point did I say I wanted a Jackson to sound like anything other than a Jackson. It's great that so many people have replied but I was hoping to hear from people who actually owned an SLS3 and played both.

I wouldn't put an EMG on a crash test dummy much less a guitar that I intend to play.

Comment

I'm sure the neck-thru guitars are great but I much prefer bolt-ons.

Comment

I'd get the DK2M over the SLS. Thin bodies arent my thing, I dont really like the headstock on the SLS. DK2M would be a safer choice if you cant play either of these in person. The SLS is a bit of a unique guitar that can be a sure hit or miss. A DK2M is a much more familiar shape with a great thin neck. I also prefer seymours over EMGs.
        The DK2M just looks more classic jackson to me and the SLS is a bit of a oddball in looks.
        I wont even consider neck-thru or bolt-on as a comparison or difference. both have ups and downs to construction

Comment

Originally posted by tcdrover View Post
          Yes, I would think that's OBVIOUS. Thanks.

I'm not sure how anyone got that idea. At no point did I say I wanted a Jackson to sound like anything other than a Jackson. It's great that so many people have replied but I was hoping to hear from people who actually owned an SLS3 and played both.

I wouldn't put an EMG on a crash test dummy much less a guitar that I intend to play.
          Yeah you kind of did...

I'm guessing that the SLS3 will sound more like my Les Paul & the DK2m more strat like??
          Dude just get what ever the eff you want. When you do, post pictures. Nuff said lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
            Yeah you kind of did...

Dude just get what ever the eff you want. When you do, post pictures. Nuff said lol
            Looks like someone failed reading comprehension.

Your initial posts were intelligent & helpfull though even if they were slightly incoherent. It's not all bad.

Thanks to everyone that posted. Bolt ons were good enough for Hendrix, Clapton, Blackmore & Beck.
            Last edited by tcdrover; 10-14-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
              Steve Vai still plays bolt ons, tons of guys do, but it cant be denied that on the scale of improvements made to the guitar in recent decades, the neck-thru construction has been a great advancement. Especially now that they can be produced for a lot cheaper. I.E. Schecter guitars, which are some of the best value out there in beginner to intermediate.
              Bolt-on guitars can have just as much sustain as neck-thru or set neck. And those Schecters are actually "set-thru", meaning they have a set neck but have a smooth heal to take on the appearance of being neck-thru.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

To me, the hands down decision making part to the bolt on vs. neck through is that if the neck on a neck through goes bad, then well, youre "through" unless youve got major money to fix the guitar, but then the only original part of the guitar that would be left are the wings, and whats the point in that, so youd have to replace the guitar which is also costly. With a bolt on on the other hand, $150 on Ebay and youre back in business.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I've been at the guitar shop again todayn they have a DK2 which plays the same as the DK2M and even though it's a bolt-on the neck feels great, it's quite thin (and believe me, when I say thin I mean thin, I have really small hands for a guitarist ^^) and the upper fret access is not bad at all.

Since the DK2/DK2M seems to be much easier to find, I'd recommend the Dinky in the end. And be sure I usually prefer neck-throughs ^^

Comment

I have two DK2Ms. One was from the very first batch to be produced (I pre-ordered it) and was flawless and gig-ready right out of the box. The second was purchased on clearance sale at Guitar Center for the specific purpose of getting a graphic finish from Mike Learn. My main reason for buying DK2Ms over other Jackson imports is that I despise the MOTO sharkfin inlays, so if I wasn't going to get real abalone or MOP, I wanted black inlays and black binding. Easy decision.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X