Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Designed vs Jackson CVR2 pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disconnected the pup and checked the resistance - it reads fine at around 17.5k ohms. Then I wired it back up and it's only reading .74k ohms... ???

EDIT: NVM - I got it fixed. it was something with my wiring to the new volume pot. I disconnected that and the resistance values were then correct. redid that wiring and it's working properly now. reading 16.7k ohms wired up now.
    Last edited by rebar71; 10-30-2010, 04:01 PM.

Comment

First impressions are that this minor upgrade was absolutely worth a mere $30. The HB103's as a set are much better balanced, they have more clarity, and pinch harmonics are way easier to achieve. Harmonics overall ring out better, sustain is better, and of course the bridge pickup has better crunch.

The only regret I have is that Guitar Center only had one 500k pot in stock so I still have a crackly tone pot. I will live with that for now cuz I really don't use it much. The volume pot was way worse and now it's perfect.\

EDIT: please allow me to re-phrase... the HB-103 pups kick so much ass over the CVR2 pups, it's not even funny. the tone definition and clarity (as mentioned) are FAARRR superior. I think I'll be happy with these for a while. Any further upgrade will come in the form of a new guitar.
      Last edited by rebar71; 10-30-2010, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I always liked the sound of HB-103 pickups. The one in my Jackson SC-1 Surfcaster absolutely kicked major ace.
        RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
        CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
        Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
        Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

OK.. final thoughts on this unless somebody else asks questions...

I am playing my guitar through a little Peavy Vypyr 15. Most people say not to bother changing your pickups if your just playing through something like that. I call BS. Maybe if you already had DD or similar pups that might be true. But it my case... Nagash02 says he'd buy a new guitar... well - it sounds like I did just that. For $30, I got a new guitar. lol

I am really loving the crunch of the distortion off the bridge pickup. But even more, I might be loving the cleans off the neck pickup. The notes don't run together anymore. Each note is clear and defined. With the CVR pups, the highs would get lost within muddy lows. NO MORE! All the warmth is still there - but with clear definition of every note in the chord.

My guitar may be "entry level" but it plays smooth as butter and now has the sound to go with it... even with a measly $100 modeling amp. So for those on a tight budget like myself, it is possible to improve your sound without spending a lot of cash.

BTW - did I mention that I REALLY LOVE THESE PICKUPS??! lol
          Last edited by rebar71; 10-31-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X