Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member: Old Kelly

Hi guys,

Kinda new to Jacksons. Been an Ibanez player for about 15 years now (and whatever I could afford for about 13 years before that) but recently was hankering for a change. About 15 years ago a buddy of mine got a Jackson Kelly and I really liked it at the time. He'd moved the rear strap button to the back (where Kelly Bradford originally meant it to be) and I remember it feeling very comfy at the time. So when the need for change hit me I first thought of an Ibanez Destroyer then remembered how much I liked the Kelly.

Long story short, I went on the Bay and found an XLR that I instantly fell in love with. I probably paid too much for it but at the same time, when I did some research, I saw them going for a couple hundred more, too. I got it for $500US shipped. It wasn't in perfect condition, there is some small cosmetic wear like a couple small paint chips missing on the point of the rear wing and a pinhole dent on the body, but the neck is true and the trem seems in good shape. Honestly, for as old as this guitar is, it's in amazing shape. Somebody loved her. I know I already do.

As soon as I got her this afternoon I took her into my lab (the man cave/computer room) and got to work on her. The action was really low, which I love, but the upper octave of the higher strings were dead due to the neck needing a touch of adjustment. A couple of minutes with a truss rod wrench and 3/4 turn on the high side of the trem did the trick and all was well again. I moved the rear strap button to the back of the guitar like I remembered and the balance problem was taken care of, too. A couple more tweaks here and there and I had quite a player on my hands.

The neck is a bit wider than I'm used to but I found after a few minutes of noodling I actually began to prefer it over the custom Wizard II neck on my Jem7DBK. I've been playing the Jem for close to 10 years now so I have to get used to not having the upper body to lean my hand on. All small hurdles I am already getting used to.

Now, my quest becomes finding the perfect bridge pickup. Some have said the stock pickups in these imports are pretty good and some say they're shit. I won't know until I play it this weekend but I'm pretty sure I'll end up replacing at least the bridge PU just because I'm weird like that.

I mostly play rock, blues and power metal and have a playing style reminescent of George Lynch with a heavy dash of James Hetfield thrown in for taste. I presently have a Dimarzio Steve's Special in the bridge of my Jem7DBK that I love. Nice chunk and she screams like a banshee. The problem I've found is that it doesn't clean up very well and sounds a bit thin/sterile. I'm looking for basically the same thing but with a touch more mid range to give the tone a bit more body. I really favor that old Metallica Black Album sound with a little stereo chorus for sweetening, breadth and articulation. I need something very active but warm at the same time.

A couple pickups I've been looking at are the Dimarzio Evolution Bridge and the Bill Lawrence L-500XL. I'm almost afraid the Evo will be too mid heavy and the Bill Lawrence may sound as sterile as my Steve's Special. I love EMGs for the activity but a set is a bit out of my price range, now. So what is a guy to do?

Any suggestions?

I'm also going to be adding one of these for "flavah" soon: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250728221988 He he he - I think I'll call her "The Punisher" to match when all is said and done.

If anyone's interested in pics of the new acquisition let me know and I'll take some this weekend.

LJ
    Last edited by Lord_Jereth; 11-28-2010, 04:57 PM.
    "Yes, but ... these go to eleven!"

Welcome to the wacky world of Jackson guitars and the forum!

Regarding the pics...

The Dimarzio guys around here tend to have mixed opinions on the EVO, it's kind of like the Invader from SD in the way that people either love it or hate it. It should do a good job on the rock and metal stuff, but I don't know of it's suitability for blues tones. It might give nice single coil tones when split. For Dimarzio I've never heard a bad thing said about the Tone Zone.

My understanding on the 500XL is that it is very bright and a bit scooped. I don't have direct personal experience with it but I don't think it will cover the blues/rock end of the spectrum for you.

If you want to consider Duncans then I'd start with the Custom as it will cover all spectrums. SD's most versatile pickup is the the P-Rails Hot. You will need to add switching for it of some sort (push/pull knobs, pickupring mini-switches) to take advantage of the versatility of it though. Both single coils give killer tones with good output so they can do blues/rock/metal and the humbucker mode has a real balanced (but high output) sound.

PU
    Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Switching rings
    Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

being the owner of a nice Kelly XLR myself. I love the dual EMG85 set up. I had moved from EMG's to Duncan Blackouts for awhile, but in the end came back to the EMG's. Of course it depends on your amp, effects, etc. how it will sound in the end, but I can get a nice clean using the neck pu and get anything from 80's to modern tones at the bridge. $500 is a fair price IMO. They are fairly hard to come by and are great players. As for EMG's being out of your price range, well theres a few members in the classifieds sellin some EMG's. A used EMG is about $40-$50 each, a used Duncan/Dimarzio is about $40-$45 so really its only about a $10 difference. Im'm sure you could scrape up $10 for what you really want Now if you're replacing the KellyXLR truss cover and arent gonna do anything with it please let me know as I also own a Kelly STD which i put a DKMG neck on and would love to have it look almost like my XLR(probably walkin the line on classified rules with that sentance)
      If i did go with anything other than the pickup setup mentioned I'd probably drop an X2N in the bridge and an Air Norton at the neck.

oh, and welcome to JCF. If Jacksons didnt exist I'd be an Ibanez player, but Jacksons do exist and just feel right to me.

-Hellbat-
      i think this is the one he got

and Lord_Jereth heres a pic of my twins
      Last edited by jdr94; 11-18-2010, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I had a Kelly XLR quite a few years back and really liked it. The neck pup was a J50N which was awesome (took that out and used it in another Jackson), and I didn't care too much for the bridge pup (I think I've still got it laying around here somewhere). I wound up putting a set of Duncan Invaders in it and was real happy with it. I wound up trading the guitar for an Ibanez RG7620 7-string which I eventually traded off after a year or so, and I wish I had that Kelly back.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would try a Super Distortion. It will get that bottom end you're looking for, still have nice searing leads and will clean up quite nice. If not, the tone zone might play nice in that. I had an MIJ KE3 Kelly a few years back. Switch the stock trem for a floyd, but mine kept with the duncans and at the time i knew little about pick-ups so i kept them. I'd say in between tone zone and Dp100 is what you're looking for. Now that i think about it, i really miss my Kelly. shoulve kept her .

Comment

Hi again,

Thanks for the welcome, fellahs. It's good to be here.

On the Kelly front: Well, it's good to know that I didn't get fleeced. I was willing to pay the price and I do love her so I am satisfied either way.

@Hellbat

I probably should have explained my blues playing a little better: I'm not talking about classic blues, really. I'm not Robert Johnson, Bo Diddley or Stevie Ray Vaughan. I play more a high-gain blues, I guess, or something I call "Acid Blues". I use my sweetened heavy tone - something I describe as my "Pink Tone", which is a well compressed metal tone with a dash of chorus for sweetning and articulation, and dial it back a skosh to take the peachfuzz off. It's a heavier, speedier type of blues, I guess.

I'm looking for a bridge pickup with the same articulation as the Steve's Special without the sterility I've come to associate with my Jem. It's hard to explain. I want her to scream (big on the Zakk Wylde pinch harmonics, here) and chunk (the Sandman is strong with this one) yet have a bit more warmth than what I've had. Who knows, maybe the new Kelly with her bigger poplar body will give that to me naturally.

@JDR94

Yup, the top one is my new baby. What a beauty!

Thanks again for the welcome guys and I'll get those pics taken this weekend when I'm able to take shots during the day.

LJ
            Last edited by Lord_Jereth; 11-18-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I once owned a 2006 KE3 myself. Too bad I didn't have a bound neck to put on it.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Ok, after some digging through the Bay I found some more accoutrements to go with the new axe:

New badass barrel volume knob:

For the wide open space on the rear wing:

To go along with the trussrod cover I mentioned earlier:

Gonna be ordering them all tomorrow night. May wait on pics until I get them all installed. Waddaya think?

LJ

Comment

i think you should at least say if the one pic i put up is the one you ended up with. sold for 449 and $50 shipping? edit- maybe i should read slower. ha ha
                  if you're really into the punisher then yeah i guess that'd be kinda cool. personally i woulda stopped with the truss cover. to put it on twice is kinda like jackson puttin their logo on twice. just my 2 cents. but to each his own. its your guitar.
                  i actually just made a trade deal for mine. i'll most likely regret it, but hell i've been lucky enough to have owned 3 and you just picked one up so hopefully i can get another if i miss it down the road.
                  Last edited by jdr94; 11-19-2010, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I have an Evo 2 in the bridge of my KE2. I love it. It's not at all sterile, screams well, has nice chunk, and cleans up great with the volume rolled off. The only thing I can't answer is if it is too mid heavy for you. That is something that you really won't know until you wire it up and play it in that kelly through your rig. I use Legacy II, which is a mid focused amp. I used Super Distortions in the bridge for years, loved it. The Super Distortion through the Legacy, not so much. DiMarzio does offer an exchange program if your first choice is off. I'd give them a call and tell them what you have and what you're looking for.

Comment

jdr94,

Hiya, James! Yep, that's my new best girl. Small world, 'eh?

As far as the extra decorations is concerned my philosophy is this: The trussrod cover is a nice touch up close, but you're not going to see it from the 20th row. I might still hold off on the decal, though. Even the wife's going, "Are you sure?" We'll see how it looks when I get all the pieces together.

BTW, I wanna thank you for taking such good care of my new baby. If you've had it since the early nineties it's in remarkably good shape. I've seen folks with 2 year old guitars that were beat to shit from carelessness and mishandling. You must have kept it in the case religiously, huh? Judging by the wear on the case I'll bet there's some good stories to go along with it. Care to share some of the history?

Also, what size strings ya got on this beast? I'm a 9-42 player myself but these feel like ... 9-46? 10-46? I'm loving how resonant the body is as compared to my basswood Jem.

LJ
                      Last edited by Lord_Jereth; 11-19-2010, 10:59 PM. Reason: string size question.

Comment

Hey Bri,

Thanks for the bump in the right direction. I have played Evo's before and I remember that I did like them. Sadly, my Jem7DBK came with Breeds which I instantly hated, hence the Steve's Special. What is the difference between the original Evo's and the Evo II? Any idea?

LJ

Comment

The Evo 2 has a little less output so it is supposed to clean up better with volume roll off. The tone chart is Evolution T6.5 M7 B6 and Evo2 T6 M7.5 B6. The reviews I've read had a lot of people say the Evolution had too much treble and the Evo 2 was the cure. I was replacing the stock JB. One of the complaints I had with the JB was too much treble so I went with the Evo 2. With the JB I couldn't stand pushing the treble or presence on the legacy past 5, with the Evo 2 I can use them both anywhere on the dial. Both are known as very unforgiving, you hear everything.
                          Last edited by Bri; 11-20-2010, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Hi again folks,

Just got back from practice and the verdict is in:

OMG!!!

The XLR is the sickest, most comfortable guitar I have ever played. The tone is lush, heavy, crunchy and articulated. The neck is a joy and the action is paper thin. Every note is clear and singing, even among chords. The chunk is crushing and brutal. The trem is heavy but rock solid. The looks are to die for. No need for a pickup change. This is definitely the guitar of my dreams.

jdr94 (James? Daniel? Dude?), you were definitely right, the price was more than fair. Thank you so much!

So ends the saga of one guitar player trying to find a soul mate. Happy and content in the central northwest.

Thanks to everyone who lent their opinions and help. I'll post pics as soon as all the accouterments arrive.

LJ

Comment

daniel. glad you love it. if you think it sounds awesome now when/if you ever change the bridge pickup you'll find you love it even more

Comment

Working...
                              X