No announcement yet.

Has any one ever had this issue (DXMG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has any one ever had this issue (DXMG)

Hey all, this is my first ever post here on this forum.

I have owned a Jackson DXMG dinky for about a year now. about 5 months ago i started having a problem with it. I was basically getting a warbling grainy sort of sound on the high E string between frets 11 and 19 when the guitar was played with distortion. it was not fret buzz and cold not be heard acoustically. It would go away though if the amp was turned up really loud.

I took it to the place i got it from, but they did not have any idea what was causing it, so they sent it to their tech who set the guitar up nicely, but could not fix the problem, so it was sent to the tech at the fender HQ here in the UK, and a couple of weeks later they sent the guitar back to me with this message:

A phenomena of physics rather than a fault with the guitar. the high fretted note (single)note coupled with the resulting short string length will cause the amplified note to warble or not depending where the string is plucked/ played in relation to the pickup/s. this is noticeable to a lesser or greater degree depending on how loud/ driven the volume, and how much or how little vibrato is used by the player on the single fretted note.

After that I decided I would just live with it. but when i changed the strings (from ernie ball to diadario) the problem went away. i have had these strings on for a couple of weeks and the problem is starting to show mildly on a couple of frets again.

I am just wandering if any one else has had this problem?
    and could new pick ups possible solve it?

the guitar is amazing apart from this thing.

Needs a setup. Changing pickups will only change the tone.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      Needs a setup. Changing pickups will only change the tone.
      Definitely sounds like it needs to be set up.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

setup and also try lowering your pickups just a tad away from the strings
        JUST REMEMBER - THERES A PLACE FOR ALL OF GOD's CREATURES, RIGHT NEXT TO THE MASHED POTATOS.

CHARVEL MODEL 3A (died in a house fire )
        JACKSON DX 10D AMBERBURST
        IBANEZ RG321 MH
        IBANEZ RG1550M
        IBANEZ RG350MYE
        IBANEZ RG3570
        FENDER LEAD III
        YAMAHA RIK EMMET
        BOSS GT 8
        LANEY 50 WATT COMBO

Comment

its been set up, more than once, it did nothing, and the pick up hight was one of the things changed in the setup up. it was put as low as it goes and made no difference. trust me, its not the setup. especially as the guy at fender hq couldnt fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jkielq91 View Post
            its been set up, more than once, it did nothing, and the pick up hight was one of the things changed in the setup up. it was put as low as it goes and made no difference. trust me, its not the setup. especially as the guy at fender hq couldnt fix it.
            Then I can't help you.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Well, I bust an Ernie Ball string last night whilst doing a very agressive divebomb (push down hard, run hand off the end of the bar so the bar itself vibrates). I replaced the string with a D'Addario and got warbling and buzz whilst tuning. Replaced it with an Ernie Ball, and no problem. Thing is, the warbling could be heard without the guitar plugged in. My guess is the string block on the trem may be pinching the string at the wrong angle or the string block itself is worn. The same string blocks on my JT-590 always fall out, and look very worn (not surprising since its 20 years old!). Just a thought.
              Last edited by wilkinsi; 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                Well, I bust an Ernie Ball string last night whilst doing a very agressive divebomb (push down hard, run hand off the end of the bar so the bar itself vibrates). I replaced the string with a D'Addario and got warbling and buzz whilst tuning. Replaced it with an Ernie Ball, and no problem. Thing is, the warbling could be heard without the guitar plugged in. My guess is the string block on the trem may be pinching the string at the wrong angle or the string block itself is worn. The same string blocks on my JT-590 always fall out, and look very worn (not surprising since its 20 years old!). Just a thought.
                well with me its not the new string. when the dadario was brand new it was fine. but the brand new ernie balls had it. and the old ernie balls had it to.

Comment

i cant believe this problem can be so rare when the fender guy was so matter of fact about it.

Comment

Just change strings more frequently than you usually do. I have a guitar that rattles on one certain note and I had to switch trem springs around to make it stop.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

I'm assuming this is the Floyded model? If so, stick a piece of foam or something under the strings beyond the locking nut and report back.

If that doesn't fix it, check that the collar on the trem bar is not loose (though due to low manufacturing tolerances/QA on these bars, it could be the retainer ring clip), or remove the bar completely.

If it still does it, put a thin piece of paper (magazine subscription card) between the springplate and the saddle arms (which the fine tuners act on).

If it still buzzes, see if it stops when you touch any of the saddles.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Is the saddle worn? or distorted? or a different to the others?, maybe swap the string block and see if that makes a difference.

Or just dont play those 8 or so frets on that string

Comment

the guitars still pretty new and the floyd has no wear. i havnt noticed any difference in the saddles but i will take a closer look.

Comment

I can't help a whole lot, but I give you a small story from experience. Do change your strings more.

A friend, who likes my guitars very much, can't resist putting his greasy grubby hands on them. Several times I have has this high E 'warbled' sound, but only after him fingering, drooling, and doing a handful of high pitched Dimebag squeals (2nd fret harmonic, pull the bar up as far as it'll go.) I like this guy, he is a cool dude, but sweaty, greasy grimey hands will ruin your strings. After figuring out his hands weren't clean (I noticed a dark 'stain' in the maple on the neck) I refused to let him even touch my guitars unless he washed his hands. I'm not saying your an unclean person, but everybody perspires to a degree, and the acids in your sweat will wear strings, some peeps fast, others not.
                            "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
                              I can't help a whole lot, but I give you a small story from experience. Do change your strings more.

A friend, who likes my guitars very much, can't resist putting his greasy grubby hands on them. Several times I have has this high E 'warbled' sound, but only after him fingering, drooling, and doing a handful of high pitched Dimebag squeals (2nd fret harmonic, pull the bar up as far as it'll go.) I like this guy, he is a cool dude, but sweaty, greasy grimey hands will ruin your strings. After figuring out his hands weren't clean (I noticed a dark 'stain' in the maple on the neck) I refused to let him even touch my guitars unless he washed his hands. I'm not saying your an unclean person, but everybody perspires to a degree, and the acids in your sweat will wear strings, some peeps fast, others not.

When the guitar was originally sent to the shops tech he cleaned the guitar and put new strings on it, then sent it back. i picked the guitar up in the shop, fret the new high E string for the first time and it warbled, so i can see it being that. plus im always wiping my guitar down, before, after and even during practices to because i dont like to feel any dirt or sticky ness.

thanks for all the commens guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X