No announcement yet.

Has any one ever had this issue (DXMG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some guitars have "wolf notes", which can't really be fixed. For me, I usually see this when something is slightly loose on the nut or bridge.

Comment

i should point out that it goes away when i turn the amp up really loud, so it fine for gigs. just anoying at practice volume.

Comment

I think there is a "dead spot" in the making *or* a humidity-related issue just starting to become apparent. You mention that this is on the high E between the 11th and 19th fret. I would start by very closely (maybe with a magnifying glass) examining the fret ends to make sure none are lifting, and also look for heavy wear on any of those frets. You're also talking about a guitar with fretboard binding, so look for any spots in that range where the binding is protruding or pulling away from the fretboard, as it could point to a fret that is lifting. Also, you mention that this isn't audible with the guitar is played unplugged, audible plugged in at lower volumes, but inaudible with more volume. Are you playing with distortion when testing it? If so, try playing it clean and upping the volume gradually. If you're fairly close to the amp and it's a fairly subtle fret issue, there could be a very small window (in terms of volume) where you'll actually be able to hear it warble.

It wouldn't be surprising for a tech to miss something like that. If it's a humidity issue, they might not notice it if the guitar sits in their shop and adjusts favorably to the conditions there, in which case maybe you're playing in conditions that are too dry or too humid. Or it might just be how they go about testing a guitar while at the shop. One of my first Jacksons (purchased used) had a dead spot around the 13th fret, which I didn't notice for months because I was just starting to get into soloing. The first tech I took it to simply filed the 13th fret, moving the problem to the 14th fret. He clearly never tested the guitar. At that point, I called Jackson for the nearest authorized warranty center, which was only a half-hour drive away. They dressed the frets, tested it extensively, and the problem never came back. That was over ten years ago.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
          I think there is a "dead spot" in the making *or* a humidity-related issue just starting to become apparent. You mention that this is on the high E between the 11th and 19th fret. I would start by very closely (maybe with a magnifying glass) examining the fret ends to make sure none are lifting, and also look for heavy wear on any of those frets. You're also talking about a guitar with fretboard binding, so look for any spots in that range where the binding is protruding or pulling away from the fretboard, as it could point to a fret that is lifting. Also, you mention that this isn't audible with the guitar is played unplugged, audible plugged in at lower volumes, but inaudible with more volume. Are you playing with distortion when testing it? If so, try playing it clean and upping the volume gradually. If you're fairly close to the amp and it's a fairly subtle fret issue, there could be a very small window (in terms of volume) where you'll actually be able to hear it warble.

It wouldn't be surprising for a tech to miss something like that. If it's a humidity issue, they might not notice it if the guitar sits in their shop and adjusts favorably to the conditions there, in which case maybe you're playing in conditions that are too dry or too humid. Or it might just be how they go about testing a guitar while at the shop. One of my first Jacksons (purchased used) had a dead spot around the 13th fret, which I didn't notice for months because I was just starting to get into soloing. The first tech I took it to simply filed the 13th fret, moving the problem to the 14th fret. He clearly never tested the guitar. At that point, I called Jackson for the nearest authorized warranty center, which was only a half-hour drive away. They dressed the frets, tested it extensively, and the problem never came back. That was over ten years ago.
          cheers, theres some good infro here.

to answer your questions, yes this is with distortion and no it cant really be heard when played clean. and when i play i am not always close to the amp, but am most times.

ill check out the advice you gave.

Comment

Working...
          X