Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone at Guitar Center know how to operate a camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone at Guitar Center know how to operate a camera?

OK, first of all . . . yes, this thread is worthless without pics, especially considering the topic. But my camera is broken, and it ain't Christmas yet. Sadly, the original photo from the GC site is already gone.

Anyway, I'd been watching a Dinky Rev(erse) Professional on the GC used site for a couple of months. The picture was blurry and too small to make out details, but 1) the guitar had a "five-star" rating (their highest) and 2) it had just been marked down to $199. It didn't look fancy - plain ol' black finish and offset dot inlays - but that's fine with me. On top of that, it had EMGs, so the pickups could account for half the asking price alone. I called them, was told it was in "really nice shape," and pulled the trigger. By buying a case (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Run...25-i1172595.gc) for $60, I was able to get one-year no-interest financing on the guitar too, so why not?

Oh, silly me. I open the box, and this case is actually really nice. I open the case . . . and the guitar is PURPLE. Furthermore, if the number of dings and chips on this thing constitute a five-star rating, I'd hate to see what anything less than five would get me. Both EMG mounting rings are cracked (one is missing about a third of the ring) and it looks like someone tried to get the trem spring cover off with a chisel. OK, sure, $199 is still a great deal, but five stars? Purple? Shame on me for only asking if all the parts were present and in working order!

To be fair, it had some things I wasn't expecting. The dots are MOP rather than white plastic, and the trem is a Schaller-made JT590 (Charvel branded rather than Jackson???) instead of the JT580LP I figured it would have. Everything works fine, and it plays perfect out of the box. But I think I might have to spring for a refin, because someone must have been having a bad day with a hammer.
    sigpic

I am surprised that GC shipped you the guitar and it came in one piece. I bought a used Jackson Kelly "Pile O Skulls" guitar from their Reno NV store and when I got it the headstock was in 2 pieces. Aside from that there isnt a scratch on this guitar.

When I took the neck off to repair it I found that in fact the neck was from a DK10 and the body was a KE3. So I am guessing that the original neck from the KE3 was broken.

Either way I got them to discount the guitar for me down to $190 so I cant really complain broken headstock or not you cant find a KE3 Pile O Skulls for $199.
    addicted to Jackson guitars since 1993

Comment

I have the same Japanses Reverse Dinky. Same MOP dots and Schaller Trem. Same dark blue (okay purple!) color too.

Funny that mine too came with an EMG 81 at the bridge.

Swapped out the EMG for a Dimarzio Super 3 and kept the neck pickup (J-80C). Rewired the whole package with CTS pots and switches and a switchcraft jack. Pics to follow soon!

Added a Big Block from floydroseupgrades.com and strung it up with GHS 13-56 (tuned down a 1/2 step)

This baby rocks!

All nicks and dings aside you have a killer early 90's Japanses Jackson that is certainly a keeper! Keep us posted and best of luck too!

Comment

That sucks. Maybe you'll warm up to the purple. The undisclosed damage part REALLy sucks.

On a related note, I saw a purple JS Rhoads in their current in-store flyer and got all excited. "Wow, new colors !" and "My favorite, Purple !" After checking online I realized it was just a printing/color error.

Comment

Knowing that I wouldn't have time to work on this guitar myself for the next several weeks, I took it to the local shop that does most of my mods and repairs. They're going to block the trem (same as all my other guitars) and replace the pickup rings. There is only one chip out of the headstock, under the logo, so I'll fill that in with black Sharpie. As for the color, scuffs and scrapes, I'll let those go for now. At some point, maybe I'll get it refinished in a color more to my liking, but it'll do for its intended purpose of recording.

I'll post pics when I get it back.
          sigpic

Comment

I thought the star rating was the ratings from reviews of that particular model....I am dense.
            Live Hard, Die Hard
            Just don't forget to party once in awhile

Comment

Originally posted by Buslady View Post
              I thought the star rating was the ratings from reviews of that particular model....I am dense.
              You know, I never even thought of that. But no, probably not the case, as a lot of current models show up on the used site with no rating, while obscure stuff (more obscure than this one, anyway) does have star ratings.
              sigpic

Comment

According to GC employees here the rating is supposed to be for condition.

I bought a used bass advertised as mint that came kind of like yours, really beat up and totally misrepresented. I just returned it to the local GC for a full refund including shipping. You have 30 days to return even for used stuff. That's one reason I don't mind rolling the dice on used GC stuff, I can just return it locally and be out nothing more then an hour of my time. Takes a little longer then a normal return because they have to have the money charged from the other store but I'm still usually out of there in less then an hour.

Comment

Yeah i figure its worth the time to check it out. As ^^ said u can always get ur $ back. For the prices u can pick up the used stuff for, a ding here and there still aint so bad
                  Of course im waitin on my gc purchase to show up. I may be complainin in a few days too lol
                  Last edited by jdr94; 12-21-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymzhulk View Post
                    I am surprised that GC shipped you the guitar and it came in one piece. I bought a used Jackson Kelly "Pile O Skulls" guitar from their Reno NV store and when I got it the headstock was in 2 pieces. Aside from that there isnt a scratch on this guitar.

When I took the neck off to repair it I found that in fact the neck was from a DK10 and the body was a KE3. So I am guessing that the original neck from the KE3 was broken.

Either way I got them to discount the guitar for me down to $190 so I cant really complain broken headstock or not you cant find a KE3 Pile O Skulls for $199.
                    wait so you got a guitar with a broken headstock and they only took $9 off?

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                      wait so you got a guitar with a broken headstock and they only took $9 off?
                      Sorry fat fingers I paid $290 for it and they took $100 off so I ended up paying $190
                      addicted to Jackson guitars since 1993

Comment

Working...
                      X