How good are the Performer series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good are the Performer series?

Thinking I might pick up a PS-4 or one of the Rhoads performer series. They look decent and better quailty then the middle line now a days. Feed back guys.
    Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

some are made in the japan, cheap hardware and pickups but good players.

Comment

Not so good dude, leave them...

Comment

I'm with Rich.
        I like my performer rhoads (japan).
        The neck is really awesome, but trem and PUs are probably not the best.
        The spot where the trem-bar is screwed in broke after a couple of years, so I had to replace it with an OFR bar, otherwhise it's still working.
        Replaced the PUs as well, it's a nice guitar now.

The only thing I don't like would be that the input jack is on the lower horn and the neck is about 2 frets deeper into the body compared with an RR1 or RR24 for example.
        But the profile is really thin and flat and the action is great.

Good player if you get one for cheap.

I once played a KV30 for a couple of days, and didn't like the neck profile at all.
        It just was too big and chunky for me, just not my cup of tea.
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          some are made in the japan, cheap hardware and pickups but good players.
          Can't agree more about the playability. The Japan made PS4s can be pretty nice. Alder bodies (IIRC) and thin 24 fret necks. I also like the p/u config HSH. Recommend that you don't spend a lot on one though since you'll probably want to swap out the pickups and maybe the trem.

Comment

The trem was the same JT500 as seen later on the X-series equivalents such as the DX10, meaning not low-profile ("looks" like a Schaller or OFR) and pretty poor quality. Pickups were the same basic Jackson-branded cheapies as on most of the imports of that era, before they switched to Duncan Designed or Kent Armstrong, so also not great. But the workmanship and playability were both good.
            sigpic

Comment

I had a PS3T the RR performer series V , I've been Looking for another 1 . It was m first Jackson, Great players
              According To The Prophecy

Comment

Well i dont know much about setting up a guitar and stuff, and i want to go to school in guitar repair. So i want an instrument to take to the class Im prob going to be taking here soon, so cheap (non JC) Jackson would be good for me. I have a rare badass DK2M and i dont wanna mess it up lol. But idk we'll see.
                Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

Unless you turn the trussrod for let's say, a quadrillion rounds, I don't see much danger in trying to set up a guitar.
                  Worst thing that can happen to you is it plays even worse than before. But I doubt the guitar is in real danger if you try to set it up... Even if you're a total noob.
                  There's nothing to be afraid for.

But a PS3T will be an awesome player if you set it up well, so if you can get one....

Comment

IMO Performers are some of the best value second hand shred/metal guitars out there. Necks are really comfy. MY PS2 has a nice 580 trem on it I think. I can get hellacious trem warbles from it.
                    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I've owned a few of these, RR, Kelly and Dinky...some don't play too well , but one in every few are going to rock, my dinky is cosmetically crap and electronically broke, only the bridge HB works now.. but you'll never see me selling that one...never, so there you go. Your best to buy it in person so you can play it first, but if your doing the online thing, you might have to cycle thru a few before you find the one thats going to do you

Comment

Alright micha brought up a good point, ill prob just save my pennies together and get an old pro Soloist or an SL3 sometime in the future. Played a few rockin SL3s.
                        Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

What? What point? I thought I was Pro-PS3T all the way!?

Sure, if you prefer a Soloist there's no need to get a "training guitar" just for learning how to do a setup.
                          But if you'd like to get a PS4 or PS3T, you got my "go for it".
                          I still say some Performers are really nice players.

Now an SL3 is a whole different concept. Depends on what you want...

Comment

The MIJ Performers are great guitars for the money.
                            The build quality is great... you just have to get past the cheap hardware and electronics.

I still have a MIJ PS4 and dig it... and it's pretty much 100% stock except the tuners.
                            -Rick

Comment

If you're patient, you can find PS-4's on ebay going for around $150. For under $200, you really aren't going to find a better guitar. But like everybody else says, the pickups blow.

Comment

Working...
                              X