Older DKMGT upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older DKMGT upgrade

After searching for a year, I finally found a reasonable used DKMGT. For some reason Jacksons with no trem are very hard to find.

So after winning an eBay auction for $338, a beautiful trans-black DKMGT (w/hard case) is on its way to my house. The only bad part is that it's a 2005 or 2006 model with passive EMGs. I'm already planning the EMG 81/85 upgrade, and thought getting the older 3-knob model might actually be an advantage over the newer 2-knob models. That way I can dedicate a volume pot to each pickup, with one leftover for tone.

That's the plan. Any tips or suggestions? Will I have any fitment probs? Buy the 81 and 85 as a pair, or separately? Coil tap or no coil tap?
    Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
    Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
    Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
    Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
    Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

Have the same guitar you speak of. Just like yours, it came with the passive EMG's. I swapped them out for an 81 and an 85 with dedicated volume pots for each one, a master tone, and a three way switch. It is one of my better sounding guitars. I say go for it man.
    Throw down or fucking bite your own bullet.....

Comment

Originally posted by scabaway View Post
      Have the same guitar you speak of. Just like yours, it came with the passive EMG's. I swapped them out for an 81 and an 85 with dedicated volume pots for each one, a master tone, and a three way switch. It is one of my better sounding guitars. I say go for it man.
      Fantastic! Suppose I should have mentioned that I've never changed pickups in a guitar before. Can't be too hard. I can solder.
      Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
      Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan_Wood View Post
        Buy the 81 and 85 as a pair, or separately? Coil tap or no coil tap?
        The 81 and 85 cannot be coil tapped. The 89 is the only EMG that can be coil split, with either a push/pull pot or mini switch.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

EMG 81TW and 85TW are capable of coil tapping.
          Throw down or fucking bite your own bullet.....

Comment

Oh, yeah, those newer TW models can. I forgot about them.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Got it! Mailman finally broke through the midwest blizzard and brought it. It's in nearly perfect condition -- I can't find a scratch.

I adjusted the bridge jack screws down a full turn each side and got the action super low, can fret with just a touch. No neck adjustment needed. I love Jacksons.

One problem with it, the fret ends are really rough. They cut into the hand like a cheap Mexican strat. What gives? My DK2 frets have a nice smooth bevel to them. DK2 is maybe a 2005 and the DKMGT is a 2005 or 2006 or so. This is the only DKMGT I've ever seen or played. Which fret finish is typical?

Here's a pic of both, just for fun. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Duncan_Wood; 02-06-2011, 11:46 PM.
              Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
              Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Very nice!
                Fret ends on my own DKMGT are fine and not a big deal to file them smooth.
                A friend brought over his own DKMG and the same, fret ends are good.

His still has HZ's, and actually not too bad with the mid boost engaged.
                Un-boosted they sounded lifeless though.
                I had a J90C bridge and a LP-HM in mine for a long time and
                now a set of prototype Stephens Design prototypes which are "growing on me"
                although they are not shredder pickups.
                Odd have a vintage style LP sound on a shred axe though...I'll likely put the old
                set back in.

Biggest love on these guitars is the necks, super fast!
                Last edited by Cygnus X1; 02-07-2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

She is a carbon copy of my DKMG 'cept for the T - I put an original FR on mine - if ya gotta have a floating bridge...
                  Been a while since I've seen another with the +20db Turbocharger /Afterburner or whatever it's called. I switched out the HZs for the Z Wylde 81/85 set, but kept the booster in place, and it is pretty cool when you don't go cranking it all the way up - I use it to create feedback effects, etc. for solos...gives an interesting overdrive sound to clean/ low distortion tones, too. I wouldn't trash it, but if you insist, I'd love to have it and would gladly buy it off ya for my Charvel M5.

Other changes I made to mine:

-replaced the pirrahna neck to the ff neck (just cuz I found one cheap)
                  -replaced tuning keys with Grovers (heavier headstock gave me increased sustain
                  -replaced bridge with FR
                  -replaced pots with CTS

I love that baby...

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan_Wood View Post
                    Got it! Mailman finally broke through the midwest blizzard and brought it. It's in nearly perfect condition -- I can't find a scratch.
                    Nice score man!!

Comment

Originally posted by cedelong View Post
                      ...but kept the booster in place, and it is pretty cool when you don't go cranking it all the way up - I use it to create feedback effects, etc. for solos...gives an interesting overdrive sound to clean/ low distortion tones, too.
                      Wow, hadn't even thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion.
                      Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                      Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

After a week of playing I REALLY like the DKMGT neck except for the fret ends.

I decided to look really closely and take some pics. First, here's the DK2. Notice the bevel on the fret ends. These frets feel great. Is this a factory fret finish?

Here's the DKMGT. Notice the less-pronounced bevel. The upright fret end angle cuts into my hands as I move up and down the neck. Makes the neck feel fatter than it really is.

Now to my question. If I go buy a fret file and mask off the fretboard, can I reasonably make the DKMGT look like the DK2? Having a hard time finding a luthier around here.

Thanks!
                        Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                        Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

It's easy to do.
                          A sanding block is the safest method, I don't even mask it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            It's easy to do.
                            A sanding block is the safest method, I don't even mask it off.
                            Really? What grit do you use? My only sanding block is about 5" long. That work?
                            Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                            Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

120 to 150, then buff with 600.

Comment

Working...
                              X