No announcement yet.

Older DKMGT upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Cyg, took your advice and worked on it tonight. Masked everything so I wouldn't mar the finish or binding.

Used 150 grit and finished with 400 (out of 600). It's... a LITTLE better. There's a bevel now, but the edges are still razor sharp.

I'm going to have to buy a fret file and do this fret by fret aren't I?
    Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
    Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
    Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
    Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
    Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Nope, no file needed. Take some 400, wrap it around your finger, and run it along the fret ends all the way up and down the neck. You may want to tape between the frets, I would, I'm pretty cautious.. What you're doing is "kissing" the sides and top of each fret end as you swipe by them and it rounds the razor sharp edges. Only takes about 10 strokes per grit. Start with 400 and gradually go as high grit as you have. I use micromesh foam pads but sandpaper around finger works too.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I should have tried Warlok's tip, it may have been easier.

Anyway, I got a small fret file from Stu-Mack.

It's 3-sided, and the edges have been ground down so they don't dig into the fretboard. I had to round them some more because they were still too sharp.

The file turned out to be more aggressive I expected. It removes material in a hurry. Shown here next to the fretboard (didn't really file using this angle).

Here is a pic showing some edges filed. This thing will ruin the factory fret finish in a hurry.

Followed the file work with 600-grit sand paper, then finished with 0000 steel wool. The steel wool really rounded the edges and polished the surface.

Process went through the following stages:
        1. Sharp edges are gone!
        2. Will never get that factory finish back
        3. How much is a new neck?
        4. I think I can fix that mark with 600
        5. Hey this 0000 works great
        6. Wow, that looks really good!

I wish I'd taken off a little more material, believe it or not. Frets still feel tall on the ends. And there are small burrs on a few frets to chase down. But it's definitely better.
        Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
        Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
        Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
        Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
        Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Looks good. great pics on the progression.

Comment

Did you install the 81/85 set? Ho did you fint it? Did you keep the afterburner in?
            I have a DKMG trans black with HZ's and have thought on and off changing out the pickups but I as I'm not a pro gigging guitarist I onften think its not worth the money!
            Power chords...what more do you need?!

Comment

Working...
            X