Problem Child Model 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Child Model 6

I just bought this, http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/114...-Problem-child, and did not see this thread on it. All was disclosed for the most part but wondering if you guys had any resources for this bad boy. In the form of links for parts etc.. I'm poor as hell and wanted a project to build up slooowwlly, so I jumped on this. I always wanted a soloist and this is probably as close as I'll get. Are these on par with a soloist? Thanks for your thoughts.

Not exactly on par with a Soloist due to some of the hardware being cheaper and the Rosewood board, but can be real close without much work. And then again, some people really like Rosewood better than Ebony, though I can't figure out why... Personal preference I guess.

If you need original type parts, Dave at fretsonthenet.com has lots of stuff. But nearly everything is just standard stuff.

Comment

Thanks Jazz. I personally cannot figure out why people prefer rosewood over ebony either. I think they are in denial, ebony is much faster IMO, and also wears a lot more gracefully. Rosewood tends to dry out if not properly taken care of and wears quicker. My 2 cents.

Comment

It's easier to fix issues with Ebony, too. Puddle come CA in the chip/gash/whatever and sweep some ebony dust in there, scrape it, hit it with a little 400/600/1000, polish it up and you'd never know it was there if you didn't know it was there.

Good luck fixing this one up, you should make a progress thread or something!

Comment

Getting a refin? My Model 6 was originally white and I refinned it in Ferrari Red.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

I was thinking of doing a progress thread. This one is getting scraped to the wood, then thinking of adding a quilt top. I've done a few already so I think it's time to make a pro looking one. lol I'm poor, so I have my own custom shop, razor blades, glue,sandpaper,and tons of elbow grease and f-bombs.

Comment

The fretboard is already lifting. Should I go for an ebony one? hmmm Does anyone know where I could get a fretted ebony board??? I doubt anyone makes anything like that, I've looked before and heard people speak of them, but never found one.

Comment

There are too few progress threads around here. Please make one and start shooting them pics
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I'm think my eyes are bigger than my stomach but here's my image of her, done. Stained black, with gold Schaller tuners, white duncan full shred, filled in middle position with maple, Duncan lil 59 in the neck, also white, stained white quilted maple cavity covers, with metal laminated underneath for strength and noise cancellation. Finally recessed pots, Cts push pull, 1vol and 3 way switch recessed. No tone. I've got wood.

Comment

Here's 2 to look at. First is Dave (Budman) from fretsonthenet.com's build doing alot of what you're thinking about.
                    http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/sb/c...oration-01.htm

And mine, not as much but I love showing it.. lol. The pic link in the first post has the full build in it.
                    http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/100...s...?highlight=
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

That's dead on warlok, exactly my vision, almost. You just screwed yourself now. lol I'm going to be all over you now, with questions. Just kidding. That looks fantastic, nice job. I've looked at the audiozone one forever, I'm just not diggin the lack of floyd. I also am determined to ditch the Kahler nut thing, which I have a few ideas for. I'll start a thread when I get it from Dustinofcharvel. I can't wait.

Comment

Ask away. That's what we're all here for!! It'd be good to have a build thread going. Great info and cool ideas come from them.

BTW - I was looking for fretted ebony boards as I want to build a neckthru from scratch but the FB is a task I don't know if I want to take on yet. They are available. But I want compound and haven't found one of those yet.
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Definately has to be compound. Anything else feels too baseball bat like, we are all spoiled. I wish mine would get here, I hope it's not lost.

Comment

Working...
                          X