need advice on picking a rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice on picking a rhoads

ok heres the score. badly gassing for a nice rhoads model.. but i dont have the cash for a nice usa piece.. so im resorting to import.

what i'd like some advice on(as i dont know much on jacksons, especially import ones, more of a charvel guy myself) is.. what is the best spec import rhoads i can buy within a decent price range.. and when i say spec im talking MAINLY the neck.. but body also, i dont give a testicle about the pickups/bridge/hardware.. that'll all be getting replaced anyway
    its GOT to be 22fret, nothing too thick either, just a nice slim to medium feel, compound radius board too of course (do they even make jacksons without a compound radius board?) and sharkies are a major bonus : )

doesnt have to be something new btw, i'll probably be looking to pick something up on the bay

I think an rr5 would be a solid choice. But look out for a rhoads pro, those are awesome.
    Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
    Charvel Predator (Firecrackle)
    Jackson Ke3 (Purple)
    Jackson XL Soloist (Black)
    Fender Deluxe Players Strat (White)
    Yamaha APX 700 Acoustic (Cherry Burst)

Comment

Go for a Jackson Rhoads pro. I got one 2 weeks ago and almost died from the awesomeness. If the RR5 had bindings then I'd get one to compare but the 90's pro's are known for matching USA quality at half the price. They have all the same hardware too. I got mine for $750, there were 2 others going for $600 but I wanted red with black bevels and it was worth another $150 to me. That was on the bay 2 weeks ago, keep checking.
      1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
      BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
      82-84 Burny LPC
      90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
      06 Dean CFH x2
      11 Dean Rebel Custom
      06 Dean DOFlame
      09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
      Dean D100 Dime amp
      Eleven Rack
      79 Furman PQ6
      Peavey 6505+

Comment

i forgot to mention that i'd much prefer a bolt-on, ive never liked neck-thru guitars really
        however looking as some of the rhoads pro's ive just checked out.. neck-thru is actually cool i guess
        the only thing im worried about now is that im sure i wont be able to swap out a jackson jt-580 or similar for a schaller will i? or is that possible?

Comment

Try an RR3 then, I've got a KE3 and its a nice guitar. Not sure about the trem tho, the routes on my soloist (jt 590) and ke3 (jt 580LP) look similar tho so it doesnt look to be a problem.

Dont take that as yes it will work tho as im no tech wizz
          Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
          Jackson Ke3 (Purple)

Comment

i was looking at a few RR3's, might pull the trigger on one of those if i find a cheap beaten one
            i hope the jt-580lp can be replaced, otherwise it will certainly put me off buying a rhoads equip with one, i have to have a schaller!

Comment

Jt580lp's and Schaller's are totally different. The nuts and trem routes do NOT match. Stick with the Schallers and you will be much happier, trust me.

Comment

As someone stated stick with a rhoads pro. Might hurt a little more but will be worth it in the long run. You can nail one for around the $600.00 range and trust me you will be psyched.

Comment

thanks, rhoads pro it is i guess! finding one over here seems to be alot harder though, especially in that price range, the dd couple i have seen have been around £800 :/

Comment

Apologies for my bum info on the trems. Yeah rhoads pros are pricey but try and get one from america, even with shipping/duty they are cheaper than what you'll get them for over here.

Still the jt 580lp is still a good trem, i agree that i like my shaller better but at least the bloody baseplate wont strip! (as has just happened to mine )
                    Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
                    Jackson Ke3 (Purple)

Comment

Originally posted by John.E.Fawkes View Post
                      i forgot to mention that i'd much prefer a bolt-on, ive never liked neck-thru guitars really
                      Kinda depends on what kind of NT you played

I certainly have better upper fret acces on my Rhoads than my KV3
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                        Kinda depends on what kind of NT you played

I certainly have better upper fret acces on my Rhoads than my KV3
                        its not so much for the ease of upper fret acces.. its just the way they generally feel, i hate when they are painted too!

Comment

You could always lightly wetsand the neck for a satin finish. Smoother than a gloss neck but looks better IMO than a natural neck. If you really don't like it then mask off the body and fretboard and wetsand till there's no paint left. Very easy to do, I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. Also I got radius gauges today and I can confirm the Rhoads pros have in fact a 12"-16" compound radius.
                          1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
                          BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
                          82-84 Burny LPC
                          90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
                          06 Dean CFH x2
                          11 Dean Rebel Custom
                          06 Dean DOFlame
                          09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
                          Dean D100 Dime amp
                          Eleven Rack
                          79 Furman PQ6
                          Peavey 6505+