Pickup Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Help

Hi i'm new here and im here to ask u guys some opinion on some pickups for bridge i got. 1st one is the MIJ J50BC and 2nd one is the EMG HZ H4. So what do u guys think? :think: Im really a noob on this stuffs so need ur help.

p/s. sorry if i post this thread in the wrong forum.

I have a J50BC in a Jackson USA (covered) and it kicks ass IMO. I also have a J50B in a MIJ Fusion Pro that I like a lot as well.

I have some Hz's in a DXMG and I like those, but I think they are H3s.

I have no idea of what type of tones you are into, what guitar or amp this is working with. For example, if you were to want to play SRV, I'd say neither of these pickups would work.

Post some more info on what you are trying to do.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I mostly play metal and i want clarity in my sound. Not those messy metal stuffs. Sometimes I do switch in between genres. This gonna go thru lots of amps mainly an MG100 and gonna put it into an alder strat (partcaster).

Comment

I can't speak on the part of a J50bc but i personally haven't liked one HZ I've ever heard. EMG really does best when it sticks to actives, but it really is a matter of taste at that point; many would argue (myself included) that EMGs consistently fail to compliment the character of your guitar. If you want your guitar to sound just like other guitars with the same pickups, go for it.

In my opinion, if you're wanting something that handles metal with clarity and can be versatile when you feel like playing with some blues or classic rock or whatever, you really can't go wrong with a Duncan JB. Also, Dimarzio makes some very clear-sounding pups that are good for that sort of thing (precise metal, as opposed to like, High on Fire or Eyehategod), i recommend you try out a guitar (preferably another alder one) with a D-Activator in the bridge, or maybe an Evo 2.
        Last edited by Misanthrope[ALWT]; 05-19-2011, 02:06 AM.
        I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

I have the H4 in my DKMGTFF, its very PAF'y in its frequency response, but with more output. I find it to be very articulate and an all around great pup. I agree with the H3's sounding like poop though.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by himself View Post
            Thanks for the reply. I mostly play metal and i want clarity in my sound. Not those messy metal stuffs. Sometimes I do switch in between genres. This gonna go thru lots of amps mainly an MG100 and gonna put it into an alder strat (partcaster).
            You want the J50BC for clarity in your sound. The ceramic magnet helps pull in all frequencies. Think old school EVH. The EMGHz's are more creamy, better for Black Sabbath stuff.

The only thing the J50BC might leave you wanting for is more output. Then look to the SD Custom.

Comment

That, I think, is the first time I have ever heard of Black Sabbath referred to as a creamy sound!
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Sweet Leaf?

Comment

Working...
                X