No announcement yet.

SLSMG Dead Spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine came with the passive emg's, I never changed them out(can't recall what the model name for them was off the top of my head).
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Total_Annihilation View Post
      StealthPro, I just checked out my SLSMG and ran the same tests and I too notice the decay in the notes particularly with the 15th fret "D" note on the b string on my SLSMG. I tested it one step further and decided to do a full step bend at the 13th fret and bend the "C" up to the "D". The note decayed the same way. But when I did a full step bend at fret 15, the "E" note did not decay nearly as quickly.
      Thanks for trying. This is exactly how i first recognized it (i did a full step bend on the 13th fret and was wondering why the tone decayed so rapidly).
      And what you describe is absolutly the same that my SLSMG does and the other 4 SLSMGs i tested over time were doing.

Put some additional weight onto your headstock (for example some heavy magnets or i don't know what word you use - a bar clamp?) and see if another tone will be affected than the D.

How your serial number begins and when you bought it?

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      What pick ups are you using?
      The factory installed EMG 81 (bridge) and 85 (neck)

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      The moving I would think is due to string tension and the change in the bow of the neck not a mass issue.
      But i don't have to change string tension and the bow of the neck to make the dead tone move. As described, i only put some additional weight onto the tuners and the dead note isn't the D anymore. Varying with the weight (for example only use one magnet) changes what tone will be affected / dead.

I was thinking about changing the 81 for an SD Blackout for a while.
      Maybe i should give it a try as you think the active EMG could be the problem.
      Really strange that many SLSMGs have that dead spot on the high D (15th fret).

Comment

StealthPro, I bought my SLSMG from musiciansfriend in February of 2010. The serial number on it is 082877. I know nothing about Jackson serial numbers but I'm sure you guys can date when my soloist was made.

I'll see about trying the weight test you described. Though I don't have any magnets or anything I can think of that I can put on the headstock. I'll try to figure something out though and post my findings.

Comment

StealthPro, I bought my SLSMG from musiciansfriend in February of 2010. The serial number on it is 082877. I know nothing about Jackson serial numbers but I'm sure you guys can date when my soloist was made.
          I suppose it was made in 2008.

Comment

I'd be inclined to agree with the 2008, even though I've not really kept track of recent serial/year relations. RacerX might know for sure as he tends to keep up with that stuff.

However, if the nut is cut too low, it will have no bearing on the fretted notes anywhere on the neck. It may buzz like a chainsaw on the open strings, but deep nut slots will not matter once you start fretting notes, so that's ruled out.

As I understand it, EMG magnets aren't as powerful as you'd get in passives, as the bulk of their output power comes from the internal preamp, so if that's the case, you shouldn't be experiencing any magnet-related issues (i.e. sucking too hard on the strings).

However, to test this, you could lower the pickups fully, although this will result in a sharp loss of volume since they will be too far away from the strings to do their job correctly. If that corrects the issue, then it becomes pointless to have pickups in the guitar at all.

I'm going to guess the issue is with the bridge, since it's the one constant between both passive and active versions of the same guitar; it's always at the business end of the fretted note, unlike the nut.

The slots on the bridge saddle may be too deep, or the bridge may simply be of too low quality (Gotoh makes affordable hardware, and "affordable" is not always "good").

I would suggest getting a better-made bridge, but then you'll most likely get one that's made to fit the skinny posts of a USA Les Paul, and not the fatter studs of the Gotoh. I've never found a set of those readily available, but Dave at Fretsonthenet.com could modify a set of import studs so that they fit the import inserts and smaller USA bridge mounting holes. He made me a set for an LR Baggs T-Bridge which I mounted to a guitar that originally had the Gotoh bridge and they came out great.

You could also investigate the TonePros locking tuneomatic bridge, but I've heard from others that it's basically the same Gotoh bridge, but with set screws drilled into it.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              However, if the nut is cut too low, it will have no bearing on the fretted notes anywhere on the neck. It may buzz like a chainsaw on the open strings, but deep nut slots will not matter once you start fretting notes, so that's ruled out.
              I absolutly agree with this theory.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              As I understand it, EMG magnets aren't as powerful as you'd get in passives, as the bulk of their output power comes from the internal preamp, so if that's the case, you shouldn't be experiencing any magnet-related issues (i.e. sucking too hard on the strings).
              Yes you are right. EMGs shouldn't make any problems because their magnets are comparatively weak.
              Nevertheless (as i've written above) i already lowered the PUs, but (as expected) it made no difference regarding the dead spot/tone.

I also thought about the "EMG ghost readings theory" earlier in this thread.
              If this would be true, then the problem should be solved when playing unplugged?
              But that is not case -> You can hear the tone dying rapidly even when playing unplugged.

Comment

You've also said you raised the action to unplayable/unrealistic "pure tone" height and still get the issue, so that rules out grinding on the following frets as well.

It has to be the bridge. Try wrapping the bridge posts in pipefitter's tape (PTFE, really thin stuff) and getting as snug a fit on the post as you can. Also see if you can put some metal spacers/washers under the bridge post thumbwheels and set it to your desired height, and snugged tightly against the washers, with the washers tight against the body. If you don't have the metal spacers that come with some control pots (for Strat-type pickguard mounting) then check a local hardware store for some with a big enough hole for the threaded portion of the bridge post to fit through.

As well, you could try to find a hard piece of rubber or a shaped block of solid wood that you can stick under the entire bridge and squash it down so you're getting as solid a connection to the body as possible. That will determine if the bridge is simply too loose on the posts (even under full string tension).

Another possibility is that the holes for the bridge post inserts are too deep, and the inserts are not touching the bottom of the hole, thus you're not getting solid contact except where the threads of the posts meet the threads of the inserts.

It's also possible the bridge saddles aren't making good contact. Maybe there's a small burr on the bottom where it sits in the channel, or is otherwise uneven so it's not sitting flat in the track.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'll see about trying the weight test you described. Though I don't have any magnets or anything I can think of that I can put on the headstock. I'll try to figure something out though and post my findings.
                  Another thing you could try is to press the headstock against something wooden like an architrave or shelf and play the dead note.
                  I suppose, as long as keeping your headstock pressed against one of these, your dead spot will be no longer at the 15th fret (it'll move somewhere).

@Newc
                  Thanks for your help.
                  I'll try that.

But after all i've read and already tried, i'm worried that it is caused by the guitars design/construction.

Another thing that bothers me is - Isn't that whole story something that should be covered by the warranty?

Comment

Due to lack of time i just took a piece of rubber in form of an old erasor and put it under the bridge.
                    I screwed the bridge down to have a direct connection between the middle of the bridge and the body.
                    I didn't A/B, but if anything there was very little difference.
                    Maybe the tone sustained a bit longer or i was just imaging it.

Meanwhile, I got to know one more person having the dead spot on his Slsmg.
                    But - his guitar must have been built 8 or 10 years ago.
                    So more and more i think it is a construction problem!

Nevertheless i'll speak to a luthier, if we should try another bridge (as Newc recommended) to decrease the problem at least.
                    Maybe it'll help.
                    Otherwise i'm strongly thinkin about selling it.
                    I am very disappointed by my favourite guitar manufacturer (who absolutely don't wants to be confronted with the problem!).

Comment

Just leveled and crowned my 05 SLSMG and it has a slight resonance issue at the 15th fret D string like yours did.
                      Mine has the HZ's so its not an active pick up thing.
                      Intonation is dead on and the bridge has no burrs under the saddles makes me think its related to the bridge studs in some way pushing the headstock up against the amp while playing and the sustain is better.
                      I think added pressure is needed or down force.BTW I strung it with 9's so maybe 10's would cure it.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Does it have anything to do with the strings contacting the bridge before it lays on the saddle. A lot of my string through Jacksons do this and I have always wondered if Jackson put the string ferrules in the wrong location.
                        RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                        CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                        Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                        Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

This sounds very much like the issue I've got on my custom shop soloist:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/124469-Lack-of-sustain
                          My other signature says something funny

Comment

I found the reason mine was doing that, the groove for the D string was a bit to narrow so I filed/smoothed the outer edges and its fine now.
                            My strings are resting on the back part of the bridge so its not that.
                            I agree the string ferrules need to be farther back to fix that problem.
                            These are great guitars once you fix the minor things.
                            If they made replacement ferrules that were just a tad taller I would swap mine to see if that made a huge difference.
                            If we could get Budman to make taller saddles that would help too I have a little room to lower the bridge to the deck so taller saddles would work too.
                            Last edited by straycat; 02-11-2012, 10:31 PM.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It turns out if an ex wife burns your slsmg, it burns just the same as an RR1, or Ke1's or any other thing you love........
                              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

If only you could determine if the ex burns as well as the guitars...
                                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                                X