Looking at buying a new Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at buying a new Jackson

I'm looking to buy a new guitar pretty soon. I had a white DK2M about three years ago but ended up having to get rid of it only about a week after I bought it to help pay bills in a tough time. I really want to get another Jackson but I was curious on which one may be a better choice.

I think as of now, it's between the DK2S or the DK2, and I'm really leaning more towards the DK2. The Sustaniac on the DK2S is really cool, but it really jacks the price in comparison to the DK2. I asked about special ordering the DK2S at the music store across the street from my apartment today and they said that I could have everything for $925, tax included, etc. That's a saving of about $75 as opposed to what I've seen on the net, so for a DK2, I would be looking at about $674 which is a decent price.

My real questions are: would the DK2 be a better bet, or should I just go ahead and spend the extra money for the DK2S? Also, how are the single coils on the DK2? I realize they aren't very hot, and was considering possibly putting a stacked humbucker in the neck if I can't get a decent tone out of it. I'll mostly be playing 70's and 80's style metal on it if that helps any. Also, I have heard a lot of negative things about the licensed Floyd Roses on the import Jacksons. Is this something I am going to have to replace with an OFR or something?

Anyway, any help from anyone who has played these guitars or owns/has owned them is greatly appreciated!

I think the neck pickup should suit 70 and 80 music, the trems have come back up in quality. I have never played the s so I can't help there.

Comment

$674 for a DK2? Wow, guess I will never get a new guitar. I picked up mine for $225.00 about 2 yrs ago off the 'bay. Mine had the Duncan Designed pickups which I replaced with a SD Distortion in the bridge and a Cool Rails in the neck. I don't use the middle pickup and cranked it down. The trem has been no problem and while I am not a whammy bar freak, I have given it a work out just screwing around and it all stays in tune.
      Never played a DK2S, so I can't chime in as to which is better. If you don't have to have new, check out the classified ads here or the 'bay for a much better price.
      And Welcome!

Comment

I bout my first DK2 on ebay. It was my first Jackson and I wasn't too smart about prices, but I paid $280 for a brand new DK2 (plastic on the truss rod cover and tuners still).

I think you need to find another place to shop.

I still have the stock Duncan Designed pickups. The single coils are great, strat style pickups. If you want strat tones, they can help take you there. The stock humbucker (a JB copy) I compared against a real JB. To me, they sounded close enough that I sold the real JB and kept the copy.

Now newer DK2 guitars come with real Duncans and better hardware, but I have no issues with mine (the older so-called crappier stuff).

Comment

Yeah it's kind of high for the price but it's not too bad I don't think considering it's new. I did check eBay and Craigslist and all like you guys said for some used models. There's nothing around my area that has anything decent, and the ones on eBay are mostly around the same price as a new one, and the ones that aren't are ones that are different models that I wasn't interested in. I guess I may just wait it out and see if anything better comes up within the next few months. I'd really like to find a white or black DK2, so I'll keep searching. I appreciate the advice.

Comment

Check the JCF Dealers, they'll give ya a better price than that
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
            X