Busted DK2M neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted DK2M neck

You saw it on Ebay, right? The one that was missing an inlay and had a repaired scarf joint?

I have it.

Now, I bought it with the intention of experimenting with it, and perhaps answer a few FAQs about it (mainly "how thin can it be shaved before hitting the rod?", etc).

So, if you have any particular requests for info, lemme know and I'll see what I can learn from it. Obviously there's going to be a few things I won't be able to do, such as undoing anything. If I remove the board, it's most likely not going back on. That operation will be done last, and will answer the question of how it's attached (the USA Roswell board had small metal pins, for example), or what type of rod is in it (single or double), how the f** did I pull the trussrod out the hole, etc.

And please don't ask to buy it. I bought it for the sole purpose of obtaining information from it. I know how rare they are, and from what I can see of it, it should be easy to repair and resell for a profit, but that's not why I bought it.

This is Community Contribution only.

No, I will not knowingly aid any counterfeiters. You want one, spend the money on one.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

scallop it

Comment

See if you can reverse the headstock!
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I'd say scallop and sand if you could

Comment

Scalloping won't really tell me anything, unless you want to know how far down you can scallop before punching through to the trussrod.
          I mean, the board itself needs repair, so it's not going to be playable, so scalloping for playability will be a wasted effort. For playability's sake, you don't need to take off much at all, and there's plenty of wood for that at least.

I do intend to sand down the shoulders of it to give it a more rounded profile, to directly compare the differences in feel and actual shape.
          I thought about rolling the fretboard edges, but then ideally the frets should be similarly worked, otherwise you end up with speedbumps.

Reversing the headstock won't happen.

Come on, fellas, where are the "real" questions people have been asking about these necks?
          Tech Q&A was flooded with them a few months ago (and are now buried under tons of "what pickup for 80's Metal" and "why do my EMGs suck" questions).
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Would love to know how sanding down the neck goes.
            I have Dkm2, never been able to set it up since I have been waiting for a few months for Emg to send me the electronics I need.
            Wandering about the binding and inlay, is it black plastic and how thick is it? Or is it painted on...? Never inspected mine properly since it has just been in a case for most of time I've had it. And right now I have too keep in my rehearsal area since I have around 18 guitars at home and I have no space for guitars I can't use...
            SACRILEGE

Guitars: Jackson King V, Jackson Kelly, Jackson DXMG, Jackson DK2M, Squier Stratocaster MIJ '85 and B.C Rich Whitelock
            Amps: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Marshall Valvestate 8100 and Peavey Windsor halfstacks.

Comment

This is so much like a government autopcy to obtain secret info. Wow. I'm hooked. Should be interesting.
              An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
              A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by HoddiDarko View Post
                Or is it painted on...?
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I do kind of wonder about the "binding" around the headstock and the crummy logo. I swear Ive seen some that look like theyve rubbed off in places.
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Do you want to sell it? How much?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The inlays and binding are definitely not paint.

The logo is a decal under a very thin coat of clear. It's easy to scrape off with any sharp object (exacto knife, etc).

The side dots are inlaid as well (drilled into the side of the fretboard), not painted.
                      Last edited by Newc; 08-05-2011, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Definitely interested in the shaving.. Make sure you take plenty of before measurements and how much is there to remove.
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Yup. I removed all the binding. I need to take pics before going further.

Comment

Working...
                          X