X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jinx!
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Bought on of these on an impulse at the W. 14th St. Guitar Center in Manhattan a couple days ago. It caught my eye while wandering through the store. The inlays are what caught my eye. Not cause they look good or anything because IMO they don't (just sayin... horrible inlay work. Tons of filler. The rosewood board looks decent though). I just saw the inlays and had a 'wtf is that' moment because it was a KV I'd never seen before and it was new. They were selling for $399 ($150 extra for SKB case) and I could tell it was a lower end model but figured it would make a fun project. I've got a bound 24 fret rev sharkfin DK2 neck at home I plan on slapping on it when I get back home to Las Vegas this weekend.

The guitar is made in India by the way. Said so on the back of the headstock. The fretboard is bound but the headstock is NOT. Neck profile is the flat speed profile I have on my USA King Vs. It feels decent, but that's the only type of guitar I play so it's a familiar feel. The paintjob from a distance looks similar to my quicksilver KV2, but up close you can quickly tell it's not the best paintjob. Looks/feels kinda thin. Hard to explain. I do like the black bevels, but up close, again, you start to get a feel for the build quality. Lines aren't straight, bleed, etc. Not horrible but not great either. This is most certainly a project guitar or I'm assuming would make a cool intro to Jackson KVs for those wanting to check them out. A little pricey for the latter but still...

I don't like the feel of the trem. It's a lo pro style licensed Floyd. The baseplate is that angled one Jackson is fond of for some reason. It doesn't look like a regular Floyd lo pro will fit in that cavity without modification. anyone know of a better trem I could drop in there without too much fuss?

Haven't had a chance to check out the Jackson logo pups but in my experience they aren't the hottest going lol. This is of course assuming they are similar/same to the JS series.

Anyway, just though I'd share. If you guys are interested I will post some photos of it before/after neck swap I think it will be a big improvement over those weird cross things.
      - Adam

Comment

Pictures would be cool!

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
          http://editiondigital.net/publication/?i=75064
          They are on page 15

Kinda cool, but I still like the sharkies better.
          Sharkies are the Jackson signature just like the shartooths are an Ibnez signature and trapezoids are a Gibson signature.

Though I will admit those don't look too bad for the price, and I really like the way Jackson has woken up with the binding this year. FOR THE PRICE I think they look like good guitars.

Comment

Played the Dinky at my GC and its really a decent playing guitar for the money.
            The neck felt good and the rosewood had some nice grain to it.The inlays were OK nothing special.Fret work was great for a MII Jackson.
            I would continue the binding around the headstock if I get one.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by adoxtater View Post
              B
              The guitar is made in India by the way. Said so on the back of the headstock.
              Can you supply the serial number, good sir? For future reference...

Does it have the NHJ in there?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Paint jobs on the bodies would make it worth an awesome mod project if the new JS bodies were alder like Jackson promised on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by snake_pearson View Post
                  Paint jobs on the bodies would make it worth an awesome mod project if the new JS bodies were alder like Jackson promised on their website.
                  Well, unfortunately, spec info on Jackson's websites have not always been accurate. Usually, Indian Jackson bodies are cedro. But, we can always hope!

Comment

I just played one of the V's for about a minute unplayed today. pretty nice guitars. The one I looked at didn't have any filler on the inlays and the neck was a great shape. The no binding on the headstock does look a little funny. The red quilt was up real high and I didn't want to ask to get it down( you lose your soul that way in GC) but the top looked really nice from far away. I hope the new x series quilt tops are as nice as that one.
                    I see a JS or x series in my near future.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Can you supply the serial number, good sir? For future reference...

Does it have the NHJ in there?
                      Fo Sho! The serial number is NHJ1112820

Sorry for delay... been traveling a lot. I have a couple photos I will post. Not the best (iPhone pics lol) but pics nonetheless. I haven't had a chance to get it home yet (its with me) but when I do I will slap that sharkfin neck on it and grab some better photos.

PS - what does NJT mean?
                      - Adam

Comment

WTF is the point in a bound neck but not on the headstock?
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by adoxtater View Post
                          Fo Sho! The serial number is NHJ1112820

PS - what does NJT mean?
                          Well, I dunno what NJT means but my theory on NHJ would be New Harmony Jackson.

Comment

My local GC has the King V, it played alright, but I wasn't impressed with the finish. The neck looks cool .
                            According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              Well, I dunno what NJT means but my theory on NHJ would be New Harmony Jackson.
                              - Adam

Comment

Played the RR. PLayed amazing regardless of $ right off the wall. My kid's buying it.

OH, i beat the fuggin' shit outta the whammy...no probs. I played thru a 6505, and the cheap bridge pup sounds just fine at high gain..had a nice bite.
                                Last edited by horns666; 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM.
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X