No announcement yet.

KV Pro pickup question - legit L500XL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV Pro pickup question - legit L500XL?

Hey guys I have a question that I've always meant to ask the experts but always seem to forget. Anyway, I've owned a Mustaine signature King V Pro for about 12 years and still have the stock pickups in it (Jackson J80/bridge, Lawrence L500XL/neck). I really LOVE the bridge pickup tone on this one so I wanted to keep it stock, but the neck pickup really doesn't seem to do much for me.

I've always heard the Bill Lawrence L500XL was a great pickup, but this doesn't seem so great to me. I did some reading and found there are TWO types of Lawrence pickups: the Bill/Becky version, and the Lawrence USA version. You guys are probably familiar with the story so I won't go into it here, BUT I am curious which version I have in my KV Pro. Does anyone know?

That being said, I've seen these on eBay for $50 each. I'd buy one to swap out but don't wanna grab the same damn thing I have already That also seems cheap for such a highly regarded pickup, but who knows.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have!
    - Adam

The ones with the Bill Lawrence USA logo on top are made by Jczhak Wajcman at www.Swampkaster.com.
    These tend to be a bright pick up.12-13 k
    The Bill and Becky ones don't have a logo on top AFAIK.
    B&B's are nice and smooth sounding IMO.
    My guess the DM had a B&B.
    Last edited by straycat; 08-07-2011, 12:14 AM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Given it was paired with a Jackson pickup, and being the Pro version, I doubt it was the USA version, or at least during the no-affiliation-with-Bill years.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Jackson used Bill Lawrence USA pickups in the mid-1990s. I have these in my 1995 RR1. They sound great to me, no need to change.

Comment

Easiest way to tell is the rails. B&B have pretty wide rails that sit flush with the top of the pup. BLUSA's have almost like a wire rail so it's slightly rounded. You can check the bottom as well, it should tell you. I have quite a few B&B L500's (500R, 500L, and 500XL's) and I love them. Never tried a BLUSA but from people I know with both you'd never know the difference. Side by side there may be a slight difference but without a comparison no one would know. I own B&B's just because I've dealt with them before and have nothing but good things to say, so I just keep going back.
          1986 Aria Pro II Elite II
          BC Rich NJ DLX Warlock bass
          82-84 Burny LPC
          90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
          06 Dean CFH x2
          11 Dean Rebel Custom
          06 Dean DOFlame
          09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
          Dean D100 Dime amp
          Eleven Rack
          79 Furman PQ6
          Peavey 6505+

Comment

Someone on the DUncan forum noted that the rails on Dave's pickups were high enough above the coil he used them as extra frets, but the B&Bs didn't have rails that high.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Neither the B&B's or BLUSA have high rails, both are pretty flush. The old 80s ones had arched rails. I don't remember what was different for each back then, but I do know for Dimebag at least he in fact used both. He used the B&B's when he first started. His Dean From Hell had a L500L and L500R in it as well as all his other Deans. Then around 92 or so he started buying L500XL's from stewmac which were BLUSA's. All his washburns had those and so did his Dean From Hell after he switched from the L500L. So Cowboys From Hell and possibly Vulgar are B&B's while all the rest are BLUSA's. Also the whole myth about flipping the pup is BS. There was one model in the 80s that had a polarity so flipping made a difference but all the new ones (since early 90s) make no difference.
              82-84 Burny LPC
              90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
              06 Dean CFH x2
              11 Dean Rebel Custom
              06 Dean DOFlame
              09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
              Dean D100 Dime amp
              Eleven Rack
              79 Furman PQ6
              Peavey 6505+

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I may just go ahead and grab one of those pickups to see how it sounds. For $50 it's not that big of a deal if they suck lol

Thanks again!
                - Adam

Comment

I'd throw a J50N in there and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by adoxtater View Post
                    Thanks for all the info! I may just go ahead and grab one of those pickups to see how it sounds. For $50 it's not that big of a deal if they suck lol

Thanks again!
                    I wouldn't buy one off ebay, there's some fakes out there. You can buy them direct from both of their websites and that way there's no middle man. If you're looking for a neck pup you could look at the L500R and L500C both from B&B. The R is matched for the 500L and 500XL, while the C is cleaner and much lower output. Never tried the C but B&B suggested the R to me so that's what I bought. BLUSA also makes the 500R but not the 500C.
                    82-84 Burny LPC
                    90 Jackson Rhoads Pro
                    06 Dean CFH x2
                    11 Dean Rebel Custom
                    06 Dean DOFlame
                    09 Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
                    Dean D100 Dime amp
                    Eleven Rack
                    79 Furman PQ6
                    Peavey 6505+

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      good combo. I have a J80/J50 pairing stock in a Fusion Plus. Keep toying with swapping them out but can't bring myself to.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        What type of character do they have? Not sure I've ever tried one or those, but I've gotta say most of the Jackson pickups I've tried, I've really liked!
                        - Adam

Comment

Working...
                        X