X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customising a '98 Kelly KE3-R

]
    Hi all! would appreciate your input :-
    Im customising my '98 kelly KE3-R, im using this beast for A-B tuned heavy metal (like nile etc)
    Currently the spec is:-
    Optima gold plated strings
    Floyd rose locking nut and plate, ibanez shims
    re dressed fretboard and re profiled frets (to cope with the strings)
    metal pick up rings, seymour duncan zebra invaders (x2) both F-spaced and double sprung for stiffer mounting
    Floyd Rose blocks, Original Jackson Takeuichi JT-580 LP Bridge with Floyd Upgrades Brass Block and claw (both polished) Switch masters pot and switch, input socket, Kill switch dust cover for jack socket, dimarzio clip strap on the way, brass toggle cover for the 3 way, various other genuine floyd components, LCSUK truss cover and of course the optional ankh shred charm and FSR custom shop lazer cut neck plate...

Ok, all well and good - but the body is in a bit of a bad shape, should i get her re finished? or should i live with the damage?

And whats the score with scalloped frets? iv never played on them in A-B tuning, would i need to stop the floyd with a tremel-no effort? Are they worth the money? where is the best place to get it done? And (as im rather attached to its original neck...) wheres the best place to get a spare neck to scallop if its worth it?

Your opinions are very much needed!
    Last edited by logan; 08-27-2011, 02:54 PM.
    "If I'm in A-B and your in E-e on the 3rd fret, little string, while I'm back here, on the 7th fret big A... are we in tune?"

ALso im clearly not technologically minded, are the pictures visible? if not can someone please explain to an idiot what im doing wrong here!?!?!
    "If I'm in A-B and your in E-e on the 3rd fret, little string, while I'm back here, on the 7th fret big A... are we in tune?"

Comment

Comment

Comment

Imo damage adds to the character of the guitar, it tells the guitars stories. Where its been and what its been through.

If the neck is comfortable to your hand, why risk changing it unless you know you'll like it more? I would get a spare just in case you aren't happy with the outcome and as far as best place, just keep an eye on ebay for one.

Its a very good looking guitar and it seems like you've put a lot of work into it.
          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Ha ha! Thankyou kindly!
            Its been a labour of love, i wanted a KE3R since i was young and they were out the first time...
            Finally got this one this year and have been busy making the most of it, but not wanting to take away from it being a Jackson - the damage doesent worry me all that much, and I really dont know what id do if i changed the finish - bengal or snakeskin I suppose would be the obvious choices -

As for the neck, I think your probably right, i do genuinely like the feel of the neck and wouldnt want to risk loosing that feel, so i shall look a bit more into this scalloped effort!

Comment

Incidentally, this is a finish i was commissioned to do a few years back on a WRXT (i believe?) - its a 3D finish to replicate the sarson stones of stone henge.... thought it may entertain! :£

Comment

Looks like you did that finish on several guitars, judging by that picture. Interesting, what material was used to do that?
                My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I have indeed! I did the Jackson WRXT, an '85 BC Rich Ironbird, and I did a similar technique on an old warlock but that was in the style of a gravestone with a tetragrammaton pentagram carved into the face (wasnt my finest if im honest) but il see if i can find a pic!

The finish itself is a mix of acryllic and various apoxy based fillers, its then layered on and essentially shaped into the desired texture, more like sculpting than finishing in the traditional sense - the cool thing is that it actually gives a tighter tone from the body, as it kind of encases it. I know I just made that seem really easy, and it isnt really all that hard, just really time consuming - well, its definitely hard wearing!

Iv also refinished an old 85 explorer in a 3D finish, but i opted for one that was slightly more traditional, so its pretty flat, in a sandstone look (similar to the old crackle glaze finish i think it was late 80s?) but in a sandstone look, was again a similar idea of building up layers of this super hard filler and working it into shape wet then sculpting once it had dried, though i opted to lacquer that one for a cleaner look... pictures for that one may take me a while to find though!

Comment

Very cool! What effect does this material have on the weight of the guitar? Is that natural color variances in the material or was it airbrushed afterwards?
                    I think I may have to give this a try someday...if I can find the right materials to work with anyway....
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Well, i used coloured dye and acrylic paint of all things to mix for the colour, that way when you work it you wont get a white filler mark, you could in theory drop it and never know if its damaged the finish! - please dont hold me to that! lol

The weight things a very apt point- it does weigh more than standard car type paint and lacquer, however the trick is in the application. if you keep the coating thin enough and follow the guitars contours carefully the weight distribution shouldnt change to a noticable degree, and although it will weigh more, it should not be all that noticable as the coat is many layers, rather than being all that thick. (dont forget you need to have clearence for vol and tone pots / switches etc) so the additional bits on the horns and in the cutaway are more features than overall thickness.

Irritatingly though, it is all relative and the mahogany carbon coated bc ironbird (which already weighed in at more than a car..) was clearly heavier after it was finished, which seemed to make no difference to the owner Il add, but this was simply due to the far far larger surface area of the body - Something Jackson seem to have a far better grip on than BC Rich in my opinion.

The watermarks were added aferwards, but again they are dyed into the finish so have a more 3d effect, and the body doesent require lacquering (the main problem with making a finish that looked stone like)

Well thankyou all for the kind words! no flintstone or spinal tap comments at all!

Comment

Originally posted by logan View Post
                        to replicate the sarson stones of stone henge....
                        "Nobody knows, what it is or, ..what you were doing"

"There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Thats more like it!:Headbanng:

Comment

That's a Gibson explorer but the finish is some of my better work - got a guy who can airbrush snakeskin and was toying with copper snakeskin for the Kelly before I found a ke3r in the UK with such a deep finish that is...

Comment

Now THAT is cool looking!

Comment

Working...
                              X