Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muffled DXMG Guitar Sound, PLEASE HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffled DXMG Guitar Sound, PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey all, thanks for reading.

I have a (I believe 2008) inported Jackson DXMG Dinky guitar that sounds horribly muffled and muted is the only way I can think to describe it. It sounds bad no matter what I play it through, effects pedals, amps, etc... I put in a Seymour Duncan TB-4, changed to a big block, and also use a fender fat finger, but no matter what I do, this guitar just sounds bad.

I have 2 other much cheaper guitars that sound brighter and fuller than the DXMG. I used to have a USA made RR1 and I can't remember how that sounded.

My question is, are all DXMG models like this. Is this normal? Do other Jackson guitars sound the same way? And would the wood be responsible for the muddy like tone?

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts, would be greatly appreciated. I sometimes buy guitars over the net without playing them first and don't want to buy another one that sounds like this. I may need to sell it but it plays so great I don't want to. It is hard to get/stay inspired when I play this guitar..

Thanks,
    BobbySkidz
    Last edited by Skoked; 08-29-2011, 05:26 PM.

Did it come with EMG-HZ's or real EMG's?

Sounds like your vol/tone pots are hosed or the incorrect type for your pickups.
    Also, double check your wiring. Make sure you don't have some unintentional phase shifting going on.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Did it come with EMG-HZ's or real EMG's?

Sounds like your vol/tone pots are hosed or the incorrect type for your pickups.
      Also, double check your wiring. Make sure you don't have some unintentional phase shifting going on.

They came with HZ's but as I mentioned I changed the bridge position out with a SD JB-4...To no avail.... How do you mean my vol/tone pots are hosed? The wiring all looks good as I checked it when I installed the JB. The tone/vol pots are of brand name (but forget what) and they are 500k, which is what is suggested for hum-bucking pickups, no? Don't get me wrong, the guitar does work properly, it just lacks so much tone compared to any other guitar I have ever played. I did think about putting 250k pots in, but figured they are mostly for single coils and couldn't see it making that much of a difference anyway.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and I would like to hear more about what you have to say also....

Comment

Probably alpha pots. Even after changing pickups the afterburner circuit will require a battery for the guitar to output a signal (I think!) so make sure you have a fresh battery in there.

Also, as a workaround try wiring the bridge PU directly to the output jack. If it still sounds like ass you know it isn't the wiring. If it doesn't then things get more complicated with regards to chasing down the cause.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Skoked View Post
          They came with HZ's but as I mentioned I changed the bridge position out with a SD JB-4...To no avail.... How do you mean my vol/tone pots are hosed? The wiring all looks good as I checked it when I installed the JB. The tone/vol pots are of brand name (but forget what) and they are 500k, which is what is suggested for hum-bucking pickups, no? Don't get me wrong, the guitar does work properly, it just lacks so much tone compared to any other guitar I have ever played. I did think about putting 250k pots in, but figured they are mostly for single coils and couldn't see it making that much of a difference anyway.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and I would like to hear more about what you have to say also....
          PS-What type of tone/vol pots would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            Probably alpha pots. Even after changing pickups the afterburner circuit will require a battery for the guitar to output a signal (I think!) so make sure you have a fresh battery in there.

Also, as a workaround try wiring the bridge PU directly to the output jack. If it still sounds like ass you know it isn't the wiring. If it doesn't then things get more complicated with regards to chasing down the cause.
            These are not active pickups so there is no battery. I can try wiring the bridge directly to the output jack as you suggested though. Thank You for your suggestions....

Comment

I thought the models with the EMG-HZ's came with the afterburner circuit installed? :think:

Something doesn't sound right here. Pictures of the electronics cavity could help us determine where the problem is.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I thought the models with the EMG-HZ's came with the afterburner circuit installed? :think:
                Older DKMG's had EMG-HZ's with the afterburner, whereas the newer ones have active EMG's
                I thought the DXMG's were purely passive

I had a problem like this with an Ibanez, it turned out to be bad wiring to the output jack

Comment

Something doesn't sound right here. Pictures of the electronics cavity could help us determine where the problem is.
                  EMG-HZ's are EMG's passive version of there active 81/85 pickups. HZ's are passive pickups with no battery.

Yall got me thinking about the electronics more now and I think I will rip it back open and apart, but it will have to wait till this 4 day weekend that's coming up, I have no time working 10 hr days. I will be sure to post any changes along with pictures, so keep the suggestions coming and I will try them out this weekend.....Thanks again to all, I appreciate it....

Comment

I just goggled the EMG afterburner, this is a separate potentiometer that boost your guitars signal and works with active and passive pickups. My guitar does not have this. Nor is it standard for a regular set of EMG-HZ's to have it.

Comment

I think its the dkmg that has the afterburner. Mine does and wont make a sound unless theres a battery.

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
                        Older DKMG's had EMG-HZ's with the afterburner, whereas the newer ones have active EMG's
                        I thought the DXMG's were purely passive

I had a problem like this with an Ibanez, it turned out to be bad wiring to the output jack
                        Well, that is certainly good to know, I will look at it this weekend and be sure to report my findings.....thank you and if anyone has any othr suggestions, keep them coming....please...

Comment

Replace the locking nut and put a real Floyd on it. Jackson uses cheaper hardware but decent wood. Most dullness I've encountered was due to the metal.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Try hooking that TB-4 directly to output jack.

Comment

turn your amp up to eleven

Comment

Working...
                              X