Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muffled DXMG Guitar Sound, PLEASE HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    Replace the locking nut and put a real Floyd on it. Jackson uses cheaper hardware but decent wood. Most dullness I've encountered was due to the metal.
    I thought about doing this, but I don't wanna spend the money if it isn't gonna fix the problem. Also, like I said, I already put a Floyd Big Block in it that is much bulkier than the stock jackson block, and it helped a little, but did not fix the problem....Maybe I will try is someday if I can ever get a deal on a used one from e-bay or wherever....thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by Codex View Post
      turn your amp up to eleven
      That does help some....

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
        Try hooking that TB-4 directly to output jack.
        Yeah, I think this is probably what I'm gonna try first.

Comment

I have shitloads of guitars. 6 LP's SG's USA Jacksons, Fenders, etc. but I love the stupid little DXMG.

This is the second one I've owned - I took the first back because I thought $250 without a case was too pricey. This one cost me $180 and I bought a case for $40 (I'm a cheapass)

Both of my DXMGs sounded similar (even though I owned them a few years apart). I have the stock pickups and like the tone. The last thing I played on mine was ZZ Top - the tone just seemed to match that.

I'm afraid you've done all you can do. Putting a JB in there would certainly brighten it up. The stock pickups are passive and should come with 250K to 500K pots. If you replaced your pots with 500K you've covered that base. Wiring the JB straight out is something to try. Maybe a brighter PAF style pickup (Gibson Burstbucker)? Try brighter thinner strings? Maybe remove the big block, as that supposed to fatten a thin tone.

If that doesn't work all I can say is maybe the guitar isn't for you. These came in basswood for certain years and alder in others. Maybe find one in a different wood than what your is made of.

My serial number is 9775498 and I can't remember what wood mine is. Ron should chime in shortly and let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            I have shitloads of guitars. 6 LP's SG's USA Jacksons, Fenders, etc. but I love the stupid little DXMG.

This is the second one I've owned - I took the first back because I thought $250 without a case was too pricey. This one cost me $180 and I bought a case for $40 (I'm a cheapass)

Both of my DXMGs sounded similar (even though I owned them a few years apart). I have the stock pickups and like the tone. The last thing I played on mine was ZZ Top - the tone just seemed to match that.

I'm afraid you've done all you can do. Putting a JB in there would certainly brighten it up. The stock pickups are passive and should come with 250K to 500K pots. If you replaced your pots with 500K you've covered that base. Wiring the JB straight out is something to try. Maybe a brighter PAF style pickup (Gibson Burstbucker)? Try brighter thinner strings? Maybe remove the big block, as that supposed to fatten a thin tone.

If that doesn't work all I can say is maybe the guitar isn't for you. These came in basswood for certain years and alder in others. Maybe find one in a different wood than what your is made of.

My serial number is 9775498 and I can't remember what wood mine is. Ron should chime in shortly and let us know.
            Thanks for the advice. My DXMG has 500k pots that came in it, do you think switching to 250k might be a step in the right direction? I use Ibanez 9's. I would have taken the big block out exept that I thought it sounded better with it in. My DXMG is made out of Basswood Serial: 9827803 and I paid $499 or $459 for it on musician's friend in 2008. The tone just seems dead. The sustain on higher strings is horrible and I can't feel the tone through my guitar in my hands like I do with other guitars. It sounds mechanical, lifeless, and dull. The sound is there, I mean I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I love the way it plays but it just sounds lifeless. Is this what a DXMG is supposed to sound like? or do you think perhaps I just have some bad wood? After all that I have tried, I have nothing else to think except that it's dead wood OR this is what a Jackson DXMG is supposed to sound like. That is what I'm trying to find out! But I have not given up hope. I want this guitar to sound like I believe it can. That is why I am here posting. I will mess around with it more this weekend and hopefully know more. It sounds way better through my Marshall MG than it does through my Tube Amp! Now how is that possible? Anyway, thanks for the tips and keep them coming. I would like to keep this guitar.
            Last edited by Skoked; 08-31-2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoked View Post
              Thanks for the advice. My DXMG has 500k pots that came in it, do you think switching to 250k might be a step in the right direction? I use Ibanez 9's. I would have taken the big block out exept that I thought it sounded better with it in. My DXMG is made out of Basswood Serial: 9827803 and I paid $499 or $459 for it on musician's friend in 2008. The tone just seems dead. The sustain on higher strings is horrible and I can't feel the tone through my guitar in my hands like I do with other guitars. It sounds mechanical, lifeless, and dull. The sound is there, I mean I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I love the way it plays but it just sounds lifeless. Is this what a DXMG is supposed to sound like? or do you think perhaps I just have some bad wood? After all that I have tried, I have nothing else to think except that it's dead wood OR this is what a Jackson DXMG is supposed to sound like. That is what I'm trying to find out! But I have not given up hope. I want this guitar to sound like I believe it can. That is why I am here posting. I will mess around with it more this weekend and hopefully know more. It sounds way better through my Marshall MG than it does through my Tube Amp! Now how is that possible? Anyway, thanks for the tips and keep them coming. I would like to keep this guitar.
              No to the 250K's. Wrong direction.

As for if yours is bad or that's just the way they sound, no way to tell unless you try more of them. I've tried two - both sounded similar to me, and I liked both. The first one I played mostly in an apartment with a Vox Modeling 15 watt amp or a POD with headphones. I'm no longer in the apartment and back at home, this newer one goes thru my DSL100 1/2 stack. Even though I played thru different amps a couple of years apart, my memory says they were very similar.

You say it's muddy and dark. The only things I can think of left to try are either EMG pickups (dual 81's) or some really bright Duncans, like a Jazz set (1st choice) or a Full Shred set. Pull the tone control and wire up as two volumes.

Finally, check out http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/ for higher value pots.

There. straycat will be happy with me.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                No to the 250K's. Wrong direction.

As for if yours is bad or that's just the way they sound, no way to tell unless you try more of them. I've tried two - both sounded similar to me, and I liked both. The first one I played mostly in an apartment with a Vox Modeling 15 watt amp or a POD with headphones. I'm no longer in the apartment and back at home, this newer one goes thru my DSL100 1/2 stack. Even though I played thru different amps a couple of years apart, my memory says they were very similar.

You say it's muddy and dark. The only things I can think of left to try are either EMG pickups (dual 81's) or some really bright Duncans, like a Jazz set (1st choice) or a Full Shred set. Pull the tone control and wire up as two volumes.

Finally, check out http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/ for higher value pots.

There. straycat will be happy with me.
                Thanks for the advice. The weekend has arrived (for me), I will be trying some things starting tomorrow.....wish me luck....

Comment

I think what I want is an Alder body or a basswood body with a maple top. I have to get to the music store and try a few things because I have nothing else to compare it to.....Except my $99 Dean Vendetta which won't do....

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
                    Older DKMG's had EMG-HZ's with the afterburner, whereas the newer ones have active EMG's
                    I thought the DXMG's were purely passive

I had a problem like this with an Ibanez, it turned out to be bad wiring to the output jack
                    But then some folks get lucky and get a set of the HZs w/o the afterburner (leaving very dull pickups).
                    This kind of gets me as I can't quite wrap my mind around why bad pots or wiring would case what the OP is describing. I mean, that's pretty much what it HAS to be, but it seems like he'd have a volume problem, shorting problem... something indicative of a wiring issue...

Just for my own education, could someone explain to me why a bad pot would cause this lack of clarity/tone?

Thanks!

Comment

A bad pot can have the same effect as a weak solder joint - either way it's a weak electrical connection.

However, I still say it's the bridge (saddles) and nut hardware being of a cheaper material. Replacing these low-cost parts with higher-quality Schaller-made Floyd parts (solid hardened steel) will give you a brighter tone.
                      Last edited by Newc; 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by psychles View Post
                        But then some folks get lucky and get a set of the HZs w/o the afterburner (leaving very dull pickups).
                        This kind of gets me as I can't quite wrap my mind around why bad pots or wiring would case what the OP is describing. I mean, that's pretty much what it HAS to be, but it seems like he'd have a volume problem, shorting problem... something indicative of a wiring issue...

Just for my own education, could someone explain to me why a bad pot would cause this lack of clarity/tone?

Thanks!
                        Yeah, I found my HZs to be a little dull at first as well. Not horrible, but I improved things a lot when I disconnected the tone pot and just left the volume pot and afterburner connected.
                        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Just a thought. Have you tried putting on a brand new set of strings and played it (both acoustically and plugged in)? I once had a Dinky Reverse that sounded muffled, even after I put on new strings, especially on the low E string. I was told, by an owner of a guitar shop, that the string was dead and needed to be replaced. It sounded better once I replaced the offending string. It happens sometimes.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Just a thought. Have you tried putting on a brand new set of strings and played it (both acoustically and plugged in)? I once had a Dinky Reverse that sounded muffled, even after I put on new strings, especially on the low E string. I was told, by an owner of a guitar shop, that the string was dead and needed to be replaced. It sounded better once I replaced the offending string. It happens sometimes.
                            Thank You for the advice, but I change my string often. Also, without the guitar plugged in, it reverberates fine and gives no hint at all to the dull sound it has when it is plugged in. Without being plugged in, it appears to be a fine specimen......until I go to the store and play other wood types, I am now under the impression that it is simply the wood of the guitar acting as a filter for the frequencies that I like/am used to hearing from a guitar. This may be a purposeful thing or not, but it does not appeal to me. I need to play other Jackson's with different body wood to see for myself. Maybe talking with a knowledgeable music store owner would not hurt either....But thanks again for the advice....

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              A bad pot can have the same effect as a weak solder joint - either way it's a weak electrical connection.

However, I still say it's the bridge (saddles) and nut hardware being of a cheaper material. Replacing these low-cost parts with higher-quality Schaller-made Floyd parts (solid hardened steel) will give you a brighter tone.
                              I agree with 100% that if I changed the hardware to better quality it would improve my tone (as proven by the addition of the big block) however I am still doubtful that the frequencies that I am not hearing would all of a sudden be there......do you think it would change the ENTIRE tone of the guitar that way? or just maybe make it a little brighter? (still an improvement mind you)....Thanks...

Comment

Quote----However, I still say it's the bridge (saddles) and nut hardware being of a cheaper material. Replacing these low-cost parts with higher-quality Schaller-made Floyd parts (solid hardened steel) will give you a brighter tone.---End Quote----

I think I will try this when I have the $....I am very curious if this would fix the whole problem or just help some....

Comment

Working...
                                X