Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muffled DXMG Guitar Sound, PLEASE HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The replacement block alone does not have any effect on the pot metal nut locks or saddles. While it may be possible you've got questionable wood, my experience with swapping hardware tells me immediately that low-grade metal clamping down both ends of the string is going to be the primary tonal issue. While putting on all Schaller-made metal is not going to be as drastic as going from Strat to Les Paul, you will notice a change in tone i.e. it will lean more towards the mids and highs and not as much towards the lows.

You can also check that the neck bolts aren't loose/sloppy, and possibly remove the neck entirely to see if there are any uneven places in the pocket or on the heel.

Also make sure the locking nut is tight against the neck and doesn't have any gaps under it, and make sure the pivot post inserts are all the way down in their holes, and not just flush with the top of the guitar.

I know the JB gets a lot of love, but frankly it doesn't work for every guitar and every player, despite what we want and what we're told. Try other pickups like the Distortion (which is not a JB with a ceramic magnet), an Alternative 8, a Custom, Custom 5, Full Shred, Invader, Pearly Gates, etc etc. If it sounds good acoustically (even though it's not an acoustic guitar), then the issue is all in the electricals.

It could also be that you're trying to get a Jackson to sound like something else and not diddling the amp knobs like you're supposed to.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The replacement block alone does not have any effect on the pot metal nut locks or saddles. While it may be possible you've got questionable wood, my experience with swapping hardware tells me immediately that low-grade metal clamping down both ends of the string is going to be the primary tonal issue. While putting on all Schaller-made metal is not going to be as drastic as going from Strat to Les Paul, you will notice a change in tone i.e. it will lean more towards the mids and highs and not as much towards the lows.

You can also check that the neck bolts aren't loose/sloppy, and possibly remove the neck entirely to see if there are any uneven places in the pocket or on the heel.

Also make sure the locking nut is tight against the neck and doesn't have any gaps under it, and make sure the pivot post inserts are all the way down in their holes, and not just flush with the top of the guitar.

I know the JB gets a lot of love, but frankly it doesn't work for every guitar and every player, despite what we want and what we're told. Try other pickups like the Distortion (which is not a JB with a ceramic magnet), an Alternative 8, a Custom, Custom 5, Full Shred, Invader, Pearly Gates, etc etc. If it sounds good acoustically (even though it's not an acoustic guitar), then the issue is all in the electricals.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      It could also be that you're trying to get a Jackson to sound like something else and not diddling the amp knobs like you're supposed to.
      I have the amp knob diddling down I hope....but that is exactly what I am trying to find out, is this the way Jackson guitars sound (in which case I should probably go in another direction) or is it just this Jackson......Thanks.....

Comment

Originally posted by Skoked View Post

I have the amp knob diddling down I hope....but that is exactly what I am trying to find out, is this the way Jackson guitars sound (in which case I should probably go in another direction) or is it just this Jackson......Thanks.....
        Thank You for the advice. I have been meaning to check the neck, which I will do. I will also try adding an original Floyd, and try a few different pickups....Thank You for the suggestions. The more I think about what you said, the more sense it seems to make regarding the cheap hardware.... Thanks You Very Much.....

Comment

Jacksons sound different from other brands. I've been trying to find out why for years. A SoCal is basically a Floyded Strat, but doesn't sound like an identically spec'd Fender.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thank You for the advice, but I change my string often. Also, without the guitar plugged in, it reverberates fine and gives no hint at all to the dull sound it has when it is plugged in. Without being plugged in, it appears to be a fine specimen......until I go to the store and play other wood types, I am now under the impression that it is simply the wood of the guitar acting as a filter for the frequencies that I like/am used to hearing from a guitar. This may be a purposeful thing or not, but it does not appeal to me. I need to play other Jackson's with different body wood to see for myself. Maybe talking with a knowledgeable music store owner would not hurt either....But thanks again for the advice....
            Your wiring is fucked. If the guitar sounds good unplugged that's about 95% of the battle.

Comment

I guess I should have stated I m going after an 80's metal sound and have a vintage voiced amp (Kustom Defender 50w) Pushed by a Jekyll&Hyde qverdrive/Distortion, a DS-1 Distortion and a BYOB Marshall Shredder. I find I get the best tones with distortion on the amp and using the Jekyll Overdrive....

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                Your wiring is fucked. If the guitar sounds good unplugged that's about 95% of the battle.
                That is what I thought originally, but after changing my bridge pickup and verifying the wiring (which looks very professional and as should according to diagram) I was at a loss...That is not to say maybe I have a bad pot or something, but everything seems to work as it should....

Comment

Did you ever fix your guitar? I agree that if the guitar sounds fine unplugged it should also sound fine plugged in - meaning your wiring is jacked up. I have a DXMG that sounds and plays great. The hardware isn't considered "first class," but I have no issues with it, and this guitar even sounds and plays better than some of my Floyded guitars.

On a related note, when I used to have the HZ's in, the neck pickup "went out" one day. It sounded muffled, volume was extremely low, very similar to what you described. I visually inspected all the wiring, which looked good. I then re-soldered the neck pickup connections and the input jack connections, and boom, fixed. Just because the wiring "looks good" doesn't necessarily mean it is, so if I were you I would bust out the soldering iron.

Comment

It's an electronics thing. Make sure the tabs on the pots aren't touching the shielding paint. That will make it sound dull and lifeless as u describe. Or u have a baf component. Connect the jb directly to the jack.and add a component in the chain until the dullness comes back. Then thats the bad part. Replacing the bridge and nut won't solve what u rexperiencing. It's deffinatly an electronics thing.
                    Gil

Comment

Hey!!

Hey all,

I just wanted to check back in. I have not had the $ to switch to Original Floyd as of yet. The guitar still sound muffled slightly yo me/lack of sustain especially on higher notes. It is not broke. I can play it just fine it just lacks the tone of almost any other guitar I have played. Possibly it is the electronics. I meant to wire the JB up directly but have been so busy at work and other life stuff. I have a 1 week vacation coming up for Christmas and will 100% try again to mess with the electronics and wiring the JB up directly out. I will post back then.

Until then, Happy Holidays to all and thanks for all the great advice!!!

Comment

You either have a bad solder joint or a bad pot. I would just gut the electronics and rewire everything. That way, you know it's done well. I have a DXMG and the wiring worked... however, it looked really messy in there. I swapped in the active EMGs from my SLSXMG (put blackouts in that) and used the solderless EMG wiring kit. Looks really clean, and I know the connections are all good now!

Comment

Sounds good, keep us posted brother

Comment

Update!

I have since changed the pickup in this guitar to a Dimarzio ToneZone. I am convinced that the problem I was/am having is a combination of the guitar's natural sound and a cheap tremolo. The electronics are all in proper working order. So, I can buy an original FLoyd Rose and see if that helps the slightly muffled tone OR maybe this just isn't the guitar for me.

Thanks for all who replied. If I ever to upgrade to an original Floyd, I will be sure to post any updates......

Thanks..

Comment

If you wired DIRECTLY to the jack and it's still too dull, get an L-500XL from billlawrence.com I had one in my RG4EX1 [basswood/bolton maple/pot metal trem] and it was bright as hell. There are also pickups like the evo that just scream. Tone zones are great if you want that midsy lead tone without harsh treble or to fatten up a thinner sounding guitar. I'm gonna say it isn't worth the trouble to go to an ofr on a dkmg. sell it and snag a used dk2. great guitars and have actual alder bodies

Comment

I have since changed the pickup in this guitar to a Dimarzio ToneZone.
                                That's positively the worng direction, but I think at this point you might as well throw in the towel. I wouldn't sink any more money into it at this point if I were you. This guitar simply isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X