What kind of Kelly did I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of Kelly did I buy?

Hi there. I just picked up a used Kelly. It was billed as a JS32 on ebay but I don't think that's what it is.

Here are some pics:

It's a weak flame maple veneer, Duncan Designed humbuckers, 1 vol knob, chrome licensed floyd trem (company unknown, maybe Jackson?).

Serial is 00120571.

What the heck is this thing?

Thanks!

Thanks for posting the serial #

This is a 2000 KX10D, made in the India factory. Trem should be a JT-500.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm not usually a fan of red guitars, but I like that with the trans finish.
      Be careful with that trem. It's an unbranded JT-500 and the base plate and saddles are fairly soft and the holes can strip fairly easily.
      (Just remember you don't have to torque them down and you'll be fine.)

Welcome to the Kelly owners club, and welcome to forums as well!
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Thank you both. It's surprising an 11 year old guitar is in this good of shape. I can't find any dings or scratches anywhere. It even came in a sealed Jackson box. Maybe it sat in some storage room for the last decade.

The trem is not great. The fine tuners are worthless on half of the strings, you almost can't turn them at all with your fingers. It feels flimsy and cheap. I love red guitars which is why I bought this one. TBH I was disappointed with the flame veneer, it is pretty shallow and looks better in the pictures. I like the neck though.

I am trying to decide if I should pursue some sort of action against the seller thru ebay. How does this guitar compare to a JS32? I paid $220 shipped for it, is that too high for an 11 year old Indian-made KX10D?

Comment

From my understanding, the hierarchy goes something like this:

USA Custom Shop
          USA Select Series
          PRO Professionals
          Professional Series
          X Series
          JS Series

So the JS series are the lowest rung on the Jackson guitars ladder, and yours is the next step up.

EDIT: If it's an 11-year guitar that was still sealed (NOS) then the fine tuner thing isn't surprising. Give them a soak in a WD-40 bath and it should clear right up. Just be careful of the soft metal as I mentioned earlier. Other than that, it's a decent trem. Scahller Floyds are a direct swap, too, as well as the superior JT-590 (made by Schaller.)
          Last edited by DalyTek; 09-09-2011, 01:43 AM.
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

You paid a fair price IMO just play it and enjoy it.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
              I am trying to decide if I should pursue some sort of action against the seller thru ebay.

The only action to pursue is doing research before you buy an unknown model axe, buddy boy.

You price you paid is not out of line for this model in this condition.

BTW I want to complement you on the beautiful pictures! Very clear, and you GTWGITS!

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                From my understanding, the hierarchy goes something like this:

USA Custom Shop
                USA Select Series
                PRO Professionals
                Professional Series
                X Series
                JS Series

So the JS series are the lowest rung on the Jackson guitars ladder, and yours is the next step up.

EDIT: If it's an 11-year guitar that was still sealed (NOS) then the fine tuner thing isn't surprising. Give them a soak in a WD-40 bath and it should clear right up. Just be careful of the soft metal as I mentioned earlier. Other than that, it's a decent trem. Scahller Floyds are a direct swap, too, as well as the superior JT-590 (made by Schaller.)
                Thanks. Glad to know this is actually a step up from the JS series. Having only 1 knob hasn't been as weird as I thought it would be. I will give the WD40 a shot.

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                You paid a fair price IMO just play it and enjoy it.
                This is probably what I will do. I get obsessed sometimes though and go from one piece of gear to the next pretty quick.

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

The only action to pursue is doing research before you buy an unknown model axe, buddy boy.

You price you paid is not out of line for this model in this condition.

BTW I want to complement you on the beautiful pictures! Very clear, and you GTWGITS!
                The truth is I noticed it had one volume knob and a flame top and was hoping it would be a KE3! I did not know about this model. Still seems like a solid deal.

I see on the used section of Guitar Center that used KE3's are going for $250-$550. So I have to decide if I'll just stick with this and upgrade as I go (black Schaller trem, black tuners, new pickups and electronics) or if I should just sell and get a KE3. I am leaning toward the latter. The KE3 flame top looks a lot nicer and most seem to already have Duncans and better trems in them.

Thanks again for helping me identify this guitar. This place is a great resource.

Comment

The KE3 has the JT580LP trem, while it is a step up from the JT-500 in your KX10D, it's not quite up there with the JT-590 or the Schaller.
                  Also, depending on when the KE3 was made, it will either have Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pickups and black hardware or Duncan Designed Detonators and chrome hardware.

Comment

Also, depending on when the KE3 was made, it will either have Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pickups and black hardware
                    2006 - preset

Duncan Designed Detonators and chrome hardware.
                    2002 - 2005

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      2006 - preseNt

2002 - 2005
                      Waaahh, fixed grass hoppa!
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Haha! Spell-check can't help you when you correctly misspell a word!

Comment

Be careful with that trem. It's an unbranded JT-500 and the base plate and saddles are fairly soft and the holes can strip fairly easily.
                          Haven't run into an unbranded JT-500 before. The one on my KSXT was Jackson branded. Are they even worse than the regular JT-500's?

He could also put an original floyd or a gotoh on there. Just have to route the cavity out a bit at the bottom to accommodate the longer saddles. The JT 500/590 routes fit an original base plate nicer than the JT 580 routes do.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                            Waaahh, fixed grass hoppa!
                            26263_1281352107443_1039261685_3070.jpg

Comment

The KE3 has the JT580LP trem, while it is a step up from the JT-500 in your KX10D, it's not quite up there with the JT-590 or the Schaller.
                              Also, depending on when the KE3 was made, it will either have Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pickups and black hardware or Duncan Designed Detonators and chrome hardware.
                              I would definitely want the black hardware and SD pickups. Might be a while so I'll just enjoy this one for now. Might drop some different pickups in, and I just picked up some WD40. Like I said I like the neck. This is my first progressive radius fretboard and bends are soooo much easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X