What model and year Kelly is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What model and year Kelly is this?

Just purchased this a few days ago. I suspect import version. Has Duncan Designed pickups. 1 switch and 1 volume knob. I would like to know some info on it if anyone can help.

Serial# 97250XX

Thanks!

That's a KE3. Made in Japan, color is Crimson Swirl.
    It's a somewhat early model since it has Duncan Designed Detonators and chrome hardware.
    The newer ones come with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups and black hardware.
    Mine is a 2003 and has the chrome hardware with the Detonators too, so yours should be close to that area.

RacerX should be around shorty with a more precise year confirmation for you.

PS: What kind of stand is that you have it on? It's hard for me to find a stand that will hold the Kelly right and lift it high enough to to keep that upper horn off the floor.
    Last edited by DalyTek; 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post

PS: What kind of stand is that you have it on? It's hard for me to find a stand that will hold the Kelly right and lift it high enough to to keep that upper horn off the floor.
      A hanging stand is really the only for sure way to go with a Kelly or V.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by isobig View Post
        Serial# 97250XX
        2004 era
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I keep my Kelly on a wall hanger and my Fusion on a Musician's Friend stand (that I just got) below it.
          Just tried the Kelly on the MF stand, and I'll be damned! It holds it nicely!

Ron, I was actually gonna guess 2004! I guess I am learning a little from your serial number dates!
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. The pics are from the seller so the stand is not mine. Anyone know what wood the body is made with?

Comment

Alder

Comment

Thanks RacerX. Any possible issues I should be aware of with this model?

Comment

Possible neck dive. Do a search.

Comment

Thanks again RacerX. I apologize if I was asking too many questions. Never had a Jackson before and just wanted some info. I did search and if that's the worst of the 'problems' I would see with it then I am happy. Rock on!

Comment

I have the same model (different color though.)
                      People complain of neck dive like RacerX said. I don't personally have that problem because I play sitting down.
                      Other than that, the pickups are a little bland. They are DD Detonators, which are modeled after the SD Invader.
                      I just put SD Dave Mustaine Livewires in mine and they sound really good.
                      I had a set of GFS Dream 180 pickups in it before that and they sounded fantastic in that guitar.

Outside of that, I don't think you'll find any problems with the KE3 (assuming you like the body shape like I do!)

This is mine (with the chrome pickup rings and the GFS Dream 180s):
                      Last edited by DalyTek; 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Nice axe Daly! Is that the eerie dess paint? I haven't had enough time with it yet to know if I would want to switch out the pickups yet or not. I was going to ask what would sound good in it. I heard a sample of the Dimebuckers on SD's website and think they sound awesome. But maybe too much for this guitar?

Comment

What do you mean by "too much"?

If it were me I'd get a Bill Lawrence L500XL, that is the actual pickup Dime had in his guitars. And it's cheaper than the Seymour Duncan version.

Love that crimson swirl.

Comment

Yep, it's Eerie Dess Swirl, my favorite of Jackson finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                              What do you mean by "too much"?

If it were me I'd get a Bill Lawrence L500XL, that is the actual pickup Dime had in his guitars. And it's cheaper than the Seymour Duncan version.

Love that crimson swirl.
                              I mean would it be overkill and a bad match for the guitar soundwise. Thanks for the advice on the L500XL's. I will look into them.

Comment

Working...
                              X