Jackson/Warmoth Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson/Warmoth Explorer

I have seen a few pics of Jackson Explorers floating around on the internet. However I doubt I will ever find one to buy, and even then I'd rather have a Kahler trem and a body that wasn't routed for a Floyd. So I've been looking at Warmoth so I can have my own built.

I have an early 2000s KX10D Kelly so it's pre-Fender. All Warmoth bodies are Strat or Tele neck pocket compliant. I emailed Warmoth to find out if my Jackson neck would fit and they said no.

A Warmoth body neck pocket is 3" long, 2 3/16" wide, and 5/8" deep. Apparently this is a pretty standard Fender neck pocket.

Would a more recent Jackson neck fit this pocket? Anyone know? I don't have access to a modern Jackson to measure.

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
    I have an early 2000s KX10D Kelly so it's pre-Fender.
    Silliest line of the year winner

This pre-Fender BS has barely anything to do with USA guitars, and abso-fracking-lutely nothing nada, zilch to do with a MIJ guitar such as yours. Ya queef.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A Jackson Neck is not the same as a Fender neck, the butt-width is wider, so you could make it fit, but you would have to modify the neck pocket

Comment

I concur with RacerX and ralph and may i also add that you'd have issues with the scale length if you installed the KX10D neck on the Warmoth body since they're only designed for 22-fret necks. The 24-fret necks that Warmoth have are (stupidly) designed as a standard 22 but with an overhanging fretboard with an extra two frets.
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Silliest line of the year winner

This pre-Fender BS has barely anything to do with USA guitars, and abso-fracking-lutely nothing nada, zilch to do with a MIJ guitar such as yours. Ya queef.
          You told me it was made in India. Which is it? Who's the queef now huh?!

I really don't have any idea what changes did or didn't occur when Fender bought Jackson. I was just hoping I could put a Jackson neck on an Explorer body because it looks badass. I mean, look at this:

How badass is that? Even though it's only got 22 frets

Comment

No changes in guitar construction methods occurred after Fender procured J/C. Why would that even happen?

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I don't know. I'm glad it didn't happen. I'm just sad that if I want a "Jackson" explorer I'll have to buy a Warmoth neck with sharkfins and the Jackson headstock.

Comment

I know the guys at KNE will do the jackson neck pocket size. IMO, KNE is more flexible than warmoth, and a bit cheaper. though, KNE does screw up now and again, however they understand that and will take back and fix/redo what the screwed up on. i ordered a single hum floyd star body with the jackson neck pocket size, and they gave me a double hum strat pocket size. But if I were you, i would go KNE, again, more flexible(again IMO) and cheaper.
                Guitars:
                Jackson Kevin Bond RR Green
                Jackson Kevin Bond RR Red
                Grover Jackson Dan Spitz RR
                Epi Thunderhorse Explorer

Amps:
                Modded Jet City 100HDM
                custom 4x12

"Moran!"-augistin01(maker of B.C. Rich Deathangels and Defiler of one poor RR1)

Comment

Warmoth is not flexible.

If you have a 22-fret neck it's not a huge deal to open up the pocket a little to fit a Jackson neck on there.

Comment

scratch the IMO, KNE IS more flexible than warmoth could ever be.
                    Guitars:

Amps:
                    Modded Jet City 100HDM
                    custom 4x12

Comment

The Warmoth body I priced out would be about $700. I've never heard of KNE, I will check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

$700? Ouch.

Originally posted by RD

Comment

+1 on dealing with Mitch @ KNE. I have purchased a few bodies and parts. He uses great tone wood and is great to deal with. Any time I have reached out to him, he has responded within a day and always makes good.

$170 for a 3 piece Mahogany. Im sure Mitch can modify as per your needs, 24 fret, maple cap for trans finish, etc.

http://www.kneguitars.com/rad_bod.php

Comment

The $700 would include a red dye on the flame maple cap, satin clearcoat, trans red back finish, and white binding. I do know of a local luthier that can do paint, do you guys think a local paint job would be a lot cheaper?

Comment

dude, going with KNE with all the extra stuff, then getting the luthier to do the paint job, thats like, half of what you would spend at wormoth, and with the exact specs you want as well.
                              Guitars:

Amps:
                              Modded Jet City 100HDM
                              custom 4x12

Comment

Working...
                              X