Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with all these import Dinky models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with all these import Dinky models?

I really haven't kept close tabs on the import Dinky line. Now I'm interested in one and have no idea where to start.

I see sharkfin inlays.

I see pointy headstock.

I see rev headstock.

I see reverse sharkfin inlays.

I see dot inlays.

Theres DKMG and DXMG...

Is there some resource or single place I can go to so I can tell the difference and quality levels of all these models?

Don't know if it will have everything you need, but this site (run by a member here) has a good list from 90-95

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jack...ries_1990-1995

Comment

Here are a few items to consider:

- Although there wasn't a USA-equivalent Dinky in the Professional series, the Dinky XL did have binding and MOP sharkfin inlays. Several models from 1990-95 had MOP inlays as well.

- The available trems changed a few times over the years. Generally speaking, the Professional series had the best trems while the Performers and X-series had the worst. This is more consistent with the current imports.

- Pickups were all Jackson-branded until the introduction of Duncan Designed in the late `90s, but some of these were actually Kent Armstrong pickups with Jackson logos.

- Up until the most recent changes to the JS line, sharkfin inlays tended to be reserved for the higher-end models of each series. For instance, the Dinky XL had MOP sharkfins while the Dinky Std (Standard) had dots, the DX10D had MOTO while the DX10 had dots, etc.

My favorites are the Dinky XL and Dinky RVS, and overall I prefer Jackson bolt-on models, probably because my first Jackson was a JS1 Dinky Reverse that was also my only guitar for quite a while. The hardware was pretty cheap as expected, but in terms of playability and workmanship, that $200 guitar was right up there with much more expensive models.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
        but some of these were actually Kent Armstrong pickups with Jackson logos.
        Are those any good? I'm curious.
        I <3 DR Strings.

2007 Jackson KV2
        2006 Schecter C1 Blackjack
        Randall RG75G2
        Line 6 PODxt

Comment

Originally posted by KingVee View Post
          Are those any good? I'm curious.
          My experience is limited to the pickups on the TH-2 Stealth and AT2T Archtop (bolt-on), and of those, only the neck pickup in the AT is what I would consider good enough to keep. The main issue for me was that the bridge pickups were simply not at all suited for extreme metal - they were PAF-style humbuckers with medium output - and not really good enough at anything else to warrant keeping around. However, the AT's neck pickup (JVA-1 or JVA-2, I can't remember neck vs. bridge model) was actually excellent for getting a crystal clear clean tone, far superior to an SD Jazz for instance.
          sigpic

Comment

I own both a Jackson JS1R (a great entry level Jackson) and a Jackson DX10D (with the reverse headstock and shark fins). The JS1R is a nice guitar and other then issues with the pots sticking everything else on it is very good quality. The Jackson DX10D is a beautiful guitar (mine is MIJ... I've heard that there are some made in India which are not so good... Jackson says on their site that the DX10D's are MIJ) The DX10D's only flaw are the pick-ups... they're not horrible but being as it has a Floyd Bridge I find them a wee bit muddy sounding (I have the same PUP's in my LTD and they are fine).... I personally think that Jackson should have either done CV's in the DX10's or EMG's, as they have much better output, and response.. and pair much better with floyds... the build quality on both axes is superb.... not as good as a US model but much better then alot of other manufacturers (IE: Epiphone, Ibanez, even Fender)...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifarion View Post
              The Jackson DX10D is a beautiful guitar (mine is MIJ... I've heard that there are some made in India which are not so good... Jackson says on their site that the DX10D's are MIJ)
              How do you know it's MIJ?

DX10D was Indian first year only (2000-01)

What is your serial # ?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I can definately check the serial number (was gunna do it when I get home tonight anyways for the SN DB that has been started) but I'm like 90% sure it starts with 08, an there is a MIJ sticker on the back of the neck by the heal.... and its an '07-'08... definately noted as being MIJ by Jackson in all their documentation. I'm not exactly a newb lol... I do alot of research before I buy any guitar.

Comment

I definitely hope you start spelling definitely correctly!

Comment

Was the DX10D ever made in Japan?
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      Was the DX10D ever made in Japan?
                      Yes, along with the X series during certain years that I don't remember off hand.

Comment

other then 2000 - 2001 the DX10D has always been made in Japan... as far as spelling goes I'm not really worried about spelling one word wrong, since this is a Jackson/ Charvel forum not a spelling exam I figured mis-spelling one word shouldn't be a big deal. Apparently I was wrong... lol

Comment

Ive had a DKMGT for about 6 months now,paid£200 sterling for it,reverse headstock,compound radius neck,piranha tooth inlay,jackson licenced trem and EMG Hz's,the T stands for turbo,which is a battery powered 25 db gain boost,have just had it confirmed that it was built in japan,roughly 2003.I've found it to be a cracking guitar for the money,the HZ'z are'nt balls to the wall for crunch,but are by no means the weediest passive pickups ive heard,the gain boost works well,as does the trem and after a fret dress,the neck is a pleasure to play.If you can pick one up cheap enough to make it worthwile upgrading the HZ's,then i definitely recomend

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifarion View Post
                            other than 2000 - 2001 the DX10D has always been made in Japan
                            Fixed

Comment

Originally posted by marshall76 View Post
                              the T stands for turbo
                              Nope... The T is the designation for the strings through the body or non-tremolo model. The EMG HZ's and "Turbocharger" (EMG Afterburner) are on the earlier DKMG/DKMGT's, later DKMG/DKMGT's have EMG 81/85 with just a vol/tone.
                              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                              X