Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old story-My very first Jackson and why I bought it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old story-My very first Jackson and why I bought it.

In the spring of 1992 I recieved my very first Musicians Friend catalog in the mail. It was my day off even. I poured through that catalog like a rabid beast. At the time I had 2 guitars. A white Washburn V2 something or other. It had one humbucker, odd locking bridge (nothing like an OFR or a Kahler) and a volume with the push pull splitter. It was black and played well. I had this gang banger friend of mine do a blood drip on it. Looked killer, but sounded like crap until I put an EMG 81 in and off I went. My other guitar was a late 80's Class Axe era BC Rich Warlock. It already had an EMG 81 in it (which the shop did to upsale it probably) one volume knob and an OFR. All black hardware, maple neck and 22 fret maple board with black diamond inlays. It had a reverse 6 in line pointy headstock too. Bitchin axe. Like a Warlock shaped Gunslinger. It was a left over from my try at fame and huge rock star status. As you can see, I'm a one bucker, one volume, OFR, maple board kind of guy like EVH in the good ol' days. I wanted a guitar with a neck pickup. Low and behold Musician's Friend had a huge selection of Jackson Guitars. The one that caught my eye first is the one I should have bought. It was a Dinky Reverse with dual buckers, 3 way blade switch, Jackson type Floyd, 1 volume and 1 tone. All the hardware was black. It had a 24 fret maple board and the coolest granite finish, (my Warlock had the black and red crackle finish). I was hooked, but I was broke too. They were over $600. 1992 faded into 1993.....1994.....September 1994 my first kid was born. In November 1994 my dad payed to fly us to my home town of San Diego CA so everyone could see the baby. Right off the plane I hit Guitar Center. Baby shmaby I wanted to check out guitars. Once inside hanging at eye level was my dream DR granite finish Jackson. With permission I got to play it through a CRATE G40C and it was phenominal! Next to it was a black one with a rosewood board. At the time being a fan of Metallica since early 1983 and die hard at that, the decision was made to go black with rosewood. I still couldn't buy it. I did fly back to New Mexico with the CRATE G40C and a DOD delay pedal. Enter March 1995. After a trip into town with no money we returned home to find an envelope that contained a $7000 tax refund! After all the cashing and depositing my wife and I decided it fair to split money and spend it on what ever we wanted. A few weeks later I had my black Jackson DR and all was good. No flaws at all and sounded huge through my CRATE half stack, G40C and my little Gorilla Tube Stack amp. I had a multitude of pedals and even a wireless. I played Ironman cranked. The cops came to tell me to turn down. Funny! I was one of the 8 cops in that town at the time. I played that guitar till the frets were flat and the rust set in. Owned it for 6 years and ended up using it as a trade in for an Ibanez RG7621 7 string due to my bands direction and the popularity of Korn. That black DR reminded me of Kirk Hammett's ESP MII Customs so much it was my of getting as close a I could to having an ESP MII Custom like my hero Kirk. I will always miss that guitar.

Cool story.. Your Warlock sounds like mine. A Warslinger as I was told on the BCR Forum. Mine's Green and black crackle.. And I'll probably be buried or burned up with that thing..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Good Read Bro!

Thank for sharing... you never know maybe that black fucker is still lurking around close to home?
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

Nope. The Washburn got lost in a fire. All I got left is a useless bridge. I threw it back in the ashes. Damn It!

Comment

Originally posted by SARJ View Post
          A white Washburn V2 something or other. It had one humbucker, odd locking bridge (nothing like an OFR or a Kahler) and a volume with the push pull splitter. It was black and played well.
          :think:

Comment

Working...
          X