Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: KVXT (X series King V - burnt cherry sunburst)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: KVXT (X series King V - burnt cherry sunburst)

First of all, let me apologize for the double post. I had posted this info in another thread where we were discussing the X series guitars, but I wanted to share it with everyone else who may not have seen it and who are interested in these guitars. I grabbed two KVXT models in burnt cherry sunburst and they're great instruments for the money. No questions asked.

Moving right along... here's what I had posted earlier in an X series thread:

OK both KVXTs have arrived! I have taken a few photos (found below. I posted a few teasers and a link with the rest). I'm not the best photographer but will give you a good idea of what these things look like. While I haven't had a ton of time to play them yet I can say this: They seem to be built pretty well for a guitar in this price range. My other Vs are all USAs with the exception of that weird shamrock/shamishom/shammy/shamblah or whatever it was that GC had built for them recently. These guitars are nicer than that one, and they were built in the same factory.

That being said, I heard that some people are claiming these are Chinese built guitars. They are not. They're built in India, or so the sticker on the back of the headstock says (I have a photo of that too haha). The only odd thing is that the serial numbers are not prefaced with NHJ like the last Indian model I bought was. For instance, one serial number (Stamped on the bottom of the fretboard similar to the USA models) is: 1101214. Not sure why that is, but there ya have it.

The rosewood boards on those guitars look great. They're dark and look to be of decent stock in my opinion. Fretwork is also excellent. No sharp edges or lifting to be found. The neck is bound all the way... headstock and all. And in my opinion the binding isn't WHITE. It's off white. I know someone here mentioned they were white but I'm not seeing it. It's not as "creamy" as my USA's but not snow white either. On that note, the binding work is also very good. I'm impressed.

These things are LIGHT by the way. It's the first thing I noticed when I picked up the boxes containing them. If the shipping labels are to be believed it looks like we're talking a full 5-6 pound difference between these and my USA KV2s. Of course there is less hardwired (read: Floyd lol) and I believe the wings are basswood, so it's to be expected. It balances well though, so no complaints. No backbreaker here haha

I'm also impressed with the paint job as well as the flamed maple top. It looks great for a guitar in this price range. Sitting next to my tobacco sunburst KV2 you can definitely tell the difference between the two grades of maple tops, but it's not bad. It really isn't. Even my 10yr old daughter said "dad those a really pretty guitars"

Electronic cavity is done very well. Everything is tied up nicely and out of the way. Plenty of room to put active electronics in (which is what I'm planning on doing because I can't stand these EMG-HZ pickups. Never have. Never will). Looks like it was painted/shielded well as well. I have included a photo of it so you can all see.

Guys, for the price, I believe these KVXT models are great. Maybe I just got lucky but who knows. I'm planning on buying one more in quicksilver once I can afford it, then I'll be done buying up these things lol. If you have any questions that I can answer for you I will be glad to! I know these are kinda rare to find so far in this color so I'll be happy to answer whatever you might wanna know before you grab one up.

PS - Anyone know where you can grab metal cover plates for these? I'm not big on plastic

Here's a couple to get you started.... SEE MORE IN THE LINKS BELOW...

Click here to view the rest!

Click here to see a side by side comparison with a KV2!
    - Adam

Awesome! Congrats on the new axes. BCS has always been one of my favorite colors.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Since binding usually comes in white and ivoroid, the off-white binding color could be overspray/seepage from the clearcoat. Or it could simply be a more relaxed tolerance of the "white" spec for certain price levels of binding.

I'm not a cosmetics snob, so I don't care if it's the high-end exact-match stuff where "white" literally means "white". Less money spent on frills means more money invested into the important stuff like wood quality, construction quality, and durability.

A Floyd is not going to account for a 5-6 lb difference, so yeah, possibly a lighter-than-alder wing wood.

As for metal covers, you'll have to send your plastic covers to fretsonthenet or someone who can cut you an exact replacement and drill the holes in the right places, as USA metal and import plastic plates have always been different.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I thought I saw that they're made from light basswood. I'll have to find where again.

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to imply the floyd was the only reason the weight was so different. I was just saying that's a good chuck of metal the KVXT does't have. That and the wings are basswood if I'm not mistaken. That's what I read somewhere.
          - Adam

Comment

Actually the complete Floyd package weighs about as much as the missing wood, so two otherwise identical models would be within one pound of each other.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nice! Congratz.... These pics are feeding my GAS...
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by adoxtater View Post
                PS - Anyone know where you can grab metal cover plates for these? I'm not big on plastic

D'oh!, didn't see Matt already said this.

Comment

Do you still have the tobacco burst one you got from me? Isn't it time for an updated group shot?
                  "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I'm gonna save Ron the hassle of retyping his 7 letters: GTWGITS!

Congrats! That's quite a nice looking axe, and I'm glad to see some real quality coming in a budget-priced instrument!
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                      Do you still have the tobacco burst one you got from me? Isn't it time for an updated group shot?
                      I sure do! I LOVE that guitar! I replaced the chrome hardware for black though. For whatever reason the chrome just didn't seem right. It was either that or gold, so I tried black first and liked it a lot. Works well with the black outer burst. Anyway, it's in the KVXT vs KV2 album I created and linked to above. I wanted to show it side by side so everyone could see the differences. You can check it out here. I am waiting on another guitar so once it gets in I will do a group shot for sure! I'm totally due for it!
                      - Adam

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                        I'm gonna save Ron the hassle of retyping his 7 letters: GTWGITS!

Congrats! That's quite a nice looking axe, and I'm glad to see some real quality coming in a budget-priced instrument!
                        Hahaha no shit huh? I'm surprised he hasn't got me yet with that! I'm horrible for that too. Will do better with the new shots I take once the other guitar arrives.

as far as quality goes I've gotta say I am really impressed. I was expecting less for the cost, but I really blown away. What really got me was that the fretwork and binding were done very well, which seems to be a sore spot on cheaper guitars.Well done for an import Jackson!
                        - Adam

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the in-depth analysis and pics! How do they balance when standing up? I'd like an X-series KV, but it all depends on their balance. I'm after the RR-balance (neck aiming for the sky). Is it anything like that at all?
                          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Damn that looks good. Next year, I should be able to get one in this bastard country.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by adoxtater View Post
                              I sure do! I LOVE that guitar! I replaced the chrome hardware for black though. For whatever reason the chrome just didn't seem right. It was either that or gold, so I tried black first and liked it a lot. Works well with the black outer burst. Anyway, it's in the KVXT vs KV2 album I created and linked to above. I wanted to show it side by side so everyone could see the differences. You can check it out here. I am waiting on another guitar so once it gets in I will do a group shot for sure! I'm totally due for it!
                              Wow... I didnt think it could look any sweeter but it DEFINITELY does now!! I'm glad you love it and are the one who ended up with it!
                              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X