Another XMG question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another XMG question...

Been looking at the RRXMG and KVXMG with much interest, but I gotta ask...

£500 for a neckthru guitar made in India... are these actually any good? I have an RR5 and an RR5FR that I love and tempted with a KVXMG... but for that price, I'm worried it's just not going to be as much cop as either of my RRs.

Any feedback?

They're basswood, which is, for most intents and purposes, toneless. I'd look through classifieds or something. The KV5 and the RR5FR were really nice, but they didn't keep them around long. Probably because they were too close to the USA Selects. But 500 euro will get you a nicer guitar than the XMG series. I'm pretty sure you could get an Ibanez Xiphos in that price range. I know for a fact you can get an RG550/570, and those were JEM quality minus all the pretties back in the day.

Comment

What forumites are saying about the X series is that they're good bang for the buck and a nice platform for customising. There's a 20 plus page thread about the new x series with some user reviews. Try using the search function.

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
      They're basswood, which is, for most intents and purposes, toneless. I'd look through classifieds or something. The KV5 and the RR5FR were really nice, but they didn't keep them around long. Probably because they were too close to the USA Selects. But 500 euro will get you a nicer guitar than the XMG series. I'm pretty sure you could get an Ibanez Xiphos in that price range. I know for a fact you can get an RG550/570, and those were JEM quality minus all the pretties back in the day.
      The RG550/570 were also basswood, as are the Jems, which you say is "toneless". I have no problem with basswood personally, especially on an entry level guitar, but I prefer alder.
      Last edited by levantin; 11-22-2011, 12:43 PM.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
        The RG550/570 were also basswood, which you say is "toneless". I have no problem with basswood personally, especially on an entry level guitar.
        Even some high end guitars are made of basswood (my Music Man JP6 for example). I'm with levantin, no problem with basswood.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I probably should have clarified a bit. Yes, the RG550/570 and JEMs are basswood, but they are also top models, so they were basswood by design. I feel the lower end Jacksons, BC Rich's, Deans, etc that are basswood are simply because of cost. I feel for 500 euros, a guitar should not have to cut cost by using a cheaper wood. The EMGs will probably sound fine in it though. I guess I just correlate lower end models using basswood while higher end ones use mahogany, alder, ash, etc with poor quality lower end models.

tldr; Basswood isn't really a problem, but there are better guitars for 500 euros

Comment

I suppose more what I'm asking is if I had £1000 to blow on a good Jackson, there really isn't anything about, is there? It's either these X series Jacksons or USA Select... nothing in between

Comment

RR5, RR24, SL3MG, WRMG, used USA select, 90-95 rhoads pro (NOT EX or Std). There are alot.

Comment

RR5, RR24, SL3MG, WRMG, used USA select, 90-95 rhoads pro (NOT EX or Std). There are alot.
                With the exception of the RR5, I thought these were all discontinued?

I know there's always the used market, but I'm just looking at new for now.

Comment

RR24 is still produced, though only in gold/black bevels and black/red bevels. 8th St Music on eBay is selling a brand new gold/black bevels for 800 USD which is a steal. The entire MG series is still going too, and new they're all about 1000 euro

Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

Comment

I have a RRXMG. I think it´s worth the money. Only "problem" is that it is too black... I don´t like pinstripes so I did not buy white version.

I have only cheap MII Jacksons so I don´t know how MIJ or USA Jacksons are better and my opinion is not worth much then. Someone on this forum compared X-series KV to USA model and thought MII KV is a very close to "real thing". Anyway, I think all important parts are ok in my RRXMG and cosmetic things are very well done too, binding etc. Neck is thin, thinner than in JS-series. This RRXMG makes my JS32Rhoads feel bit heavy and bulky,bulky mostly because JS32 has more difficult access to higher frets (bolt on neck joint vs. neckthru)

If they would make a ferrari red RRXMG with traditional control plate, then I would buy another one...
                    My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Yes, the RG550/570 and JEMs are basswood, but they are also top models, so they were basswood by design.
                      ...And the Jackson X series are basswood by accident? :think:
                      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

What I gathered was, basswood is ok as long as they don't cut the price because of which. So by that notion, tacking $100 onto an X series makes it ok.
                        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                          What I gathered was, basswood is ok as long as they don't cut the price because of which. So by that notion, tacking $100 onto an X series makes it ok.
                          ...in English?
                          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by JonSick View Post
                            Been looking at the RRXMG and KVXMG with much interest, but I gotta ask...

£500 for a neckthru guitar made in India... are these actually any good? I have an RR5 and an RR5FR that I love and tempted with a KVXMG... but for that price, I'm worried it's just not going to be as much cop as either of my RRs.

Any feedback?
                            What is £500 in USD? I think I already feel sorry for you guys having to spend so much.

I have basswood guitars that sound great as well. Weren't all the Model series made from this? My HM Strats are too.

Comment

500 euro is about 668 USD. There are alot of really nice guitars in this price range, but Jackson doesn't really seem to have one. Comparing the XMG series to say a BC Rich NJ Deluxe Jr V like http://www.ebay.com/itm/BC-Rich-Nj-D...item5d31049e62 makes the XMG look a bit overpriced

Comment

Working...
                              X