New to forum - owner of 'new' 12 String Surfcaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum - owner of 'new' 12 String Surfcaster

Just saying hello and hoping to learn more about these guitars. I cannot find much on the 12 string Surfcasters, although I can say I like mine as much as any of my guitars - all good quality. I am aware of the Surfcaster page as well and I aminterested to know how many of these 12 string versions were made. The serial numbers do not help really, as I understand these numbers were assigned to all CXharvels in sequence off the line. Mine is Surf Green, basically mint with no evidence of scuffing or scratches, with the original tuners replaced by real Klusons.
    Charvel Surfcaster 12, MIJ Epiphone by Gibson ES335, Taylor GA, Martin D25K, Ibanez Concord Hummingbird 12, Custom 'Fender' Baritone Tele Electric, Fender/Warwick hybrid Bass.

Welcome to JCF- from (just about) the only other surfcaster guy on here! A surf green 12 is quite a score- congratulations!

I estimate the production numbers this way: about 20,000 instruments were produced at that factory (going by serial numbers gleaned form various locations) in the correct timeframe/neckplate combo. If 10% of them (probably a generous estimate) were surfcasters, that would mean 2,000 total surfcasters- including trem models, C-tail (HT) models, basses, 3-lipstick (STD) models, and 12-strings. Divided evenly between the 5 models you would come out to 400 instruments each. It is probably safe to say that the bass and 12-string models were less likely to sell in large numbers, so were likely produced in smaller numbers. (also factor in the bass model's shorter catalog availability- it wasn't available after the '93 catalog) My very un-proved estimate would put the 12-string surfcaster population at under 300.

Anyone care to offer a dissenting opinion?
    I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

oh- and this should probably be in the 'Import Charvels' section.
      I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

Working...
      X