Viable options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viable options?

You guys got me thinking about a guitar I used to have long ago that had a Sustainiac system installed in it. and of course with it being long gone now, the gears started turning. Currently I have what I'm led to believe, after reading many posts, to be a RR3 that I picked up for $200. I'm considering the idea of putting a Sustainiac in the mid position (if it would even work the same not being in the neck position like all the ones I've seen while researching the idea) but am a lil concerned about the routing work involved. I know it would have to be routed since I don't currently have a pup in the mid position but from what I get, installing the system requires routing anyway. I'm considering also a neck replacement because I like the reverse headstock but have no idea about what necks are swappable and which aren't without mods. Any guidance as to reputable dealers for parts and such, info about the Sustainiac sytem, and info about neck options would be greatly appreciated.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Sustainiac sells humbucker sized sustainer systems you could just put in the neck pickup position of your rr3. As far as necks, any 22 fret Jackson or Charvel neck will work, 24 fret necks will not.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I have a JTX std that I have been thinking about putting a Sustainiac in. Somebody else put a tone knob on the guitar that I could change out to the sustainer knob and the mini switch for the parallel/series could be changed into an on/off switch. I would just have to add another mini switch. I think the Sustainiac pickup has to be at least 3" from your bridge pickup.

Here is a link that might help with some info http://www.sustainiac.com/
      Last edited by matt_gu3; 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM. Reason: added link
      Matt

Fender,Charvel and Jackson Guitars..........What more do you need

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
        a RR3 that I picked up for $200. I'm considering the idea of putting a Sustainiac in the mid position (if it would even work the same not being in the neck position like all the ones I've seen while researching the idea) but am a lil concerned about the routing work involved. I know it would have to be routed since I don't currently have a pup in the mid position
        Your RR3 is H-S-S? That's a rare beast!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          Your RR3 is H-S-S? That's a rare beast!
          No bud, the RR3 is an H/H, my original guitar that had a Sustainiac was an H/S/S, I apologize for the confusion.

Comment

The Sustainiac is a non-tabbed single coil pup. The humbucker version has a dummy coil. The sustainer has to be in the neck or bridge position with the other pup in the opposite position. According to the instructions you cannot put one in the middle position.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              According to the instructions you cannot put one in the middle position.
              That's why we see Evo more than Flo.
              "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Checking out ebay last night I was looking at necks and noticed that between posts here and listings there I've seen neck sizes (at the heel) that range from 2 1/8" to 2 1/4". Seems there are some very minute, but important, differences. Anyone know the exact size of a '96 RR3 neck when equipped with a FR-style trem? I love the idea of the reverse headstock but after seeing the variances, I'm a lil worried about getting a neck and finding out the hard way that I got a wrong one and being stuck with it. Also another consideration is radiused fretboards vs "non-radiused"? I get that radiused ones have a curve to them up towards the nut but should I look out for non-radiused ones? I'm not sure if all Jacksons have radiused ones or not. I've also been thinking about different neck profiles. Is there a source somewhere of compiled info on different ones?

Comment

Working...
                X