Ultra Modified DK2M Dinky PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    42mm block? Can you put the cover back on? Recessed Jacksons use 32mm.
    yes, I made a mistake: the block is 32 mm I can but not want to close it, I like to see the Brass parts, I may order a clear acrylic cover

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
    So, DrJackson, your conclusion is that AAS gives the same feel as ASA which from the first group of pics indicates a softer feel. Then I'll leave my springs as it is, SSS format.
    if it works for you, is perfect!

Comment

I always tried to balance the springs somehow or make them even, be it angle straight angle or just straight. Seems to keep the Floyd smoother. I put a ESP arming adjuster in a DK2 right in the middle and ran four straight springs outbound, backing off the claw mount.I really do not recall a major difference in action once all was set up properly.

Comment

Hello friends
        It's me again with some new upgrades, I think that is all that I want to modify on this guitar, the tuning is completed

I put a acrylic cover for the Floyd cavity, It would a shame to cover that beauty
        (also experimenting with a new layout of the springs)

here are the Sperzel locking tuners along with the Allen keys holder

The family Portrait, with my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
        Last edited by DrJackson; 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 07-31-2012, 04:56 PM.
          Just a guitar player...

Comment

Nice upgrades. One query: aren't locking tuners a bit overkill if you have a locking nut?

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
              Nice upgrades. One query: aren't locking tuners a bit overkill if you have a locking nut?
              It not helps to keep it in pitch, but it is much easier to change strings with them

Comment

Great work man. Can you give link to the Schaller FR which you bought? R4 nut?

Comment

Originally posted by metaldood View Post
                  Great work man. Can you give link to the Schaller FR which you bought? R4 nut?

Comment

Isn't that an R2 nut? I thought Dinkys need R4?
                    Last edited by metaldood; 02-10-2012, 12:19 AM.

Comment

I dont get why the spring layout or number of springs would affect the feel of the tremolo. If you have less springs then you have to put more tension on those springs and if you have more springs than you just dont have to tighten them as much. In the end you're finding an equilibrium between the pressure of the strings and the pressure of the springs, so wouldn't the pressure of the springs always have to equal the pressure of the strings?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJackson View Post
                        It not helps to keep it in pitch, but it is much easier to change strings with them
                        I dont quite see how it can be any easier than putting the ball end through normal machine heads.

Good job on the guitar though, glad you have it all set up just as you like it!
                        Last edited by MartinBarre; 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM.
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by aconti2 View Post
                          I dont get why the spring layout or number of springs would affect the feel of the tremolo. If you have less springs then you have to put more tension on those springs and if you have more springs than you just dont have to tighten them as much. In the end you're finding an equilibrium between the pressure of the strings and the pressure of the springs, so wouldn't the pressure of the springs always have to equal the pressure of the strings?
                          That is a very good point you bring up, however I think you are forgetting about the difference between 'stiffness' and 'tension.'

For example, let's compare a 2-spring setup with a 3-spring setup. Both guitars are tuned in standard-E, and the trems are set level to the neck angle. We can both agree that the strings will experience (or 'feel') the same tension in both cases (I believe you used the term "pressure"), or to put it another way, the strings themselves won't notice any difference in regards to tension between the 2 setups.

They are different, however, in stiffness. Are 3 springs not more stiff than 2? Now, the 2 springs will be stretched more to compensate for their lack of tension compared to the 3-spring setup as you mentioned above, but their stiffness factor, or more specifically, their "stiffness coefficient" will remain constant. This can be explained by Newton's 2nd Law of Motion: F = m*a, or in our case: F = k*delta, where k is the stiffness coefficient and delta is the distance the spring is stretched.

What does this mean? Well, it could mean that a 2-spring setup can only be up to 0.6667 times as stiff as a 3-spring setup (all other variables held constant). While the strings experience the same tension, your tremolo bar and fingers most certainly will not feel the same.
                          Last edited by S1I2F3; 02-13-2012, 07:33 AM.

Comment

nice brass parts!!
                            [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

Working...
                            X