dk2 or slsxmg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dk2 or slsxmg

I've got a line a dk2 in great shape for $500, which I'm quite interested in, but I've also been eyeing up the slsxmg in natural flame, for roughly $650 plus freight. I own a Charvel 475 deluxe which I assume is comparable to the dk2, which is by far my favorite guitar i own, but there's something about neck-thru that I just love...

What would you do if staying within that price range? The dk2 is used with a case, the slsxmg is new, without a case. dk2 has Seymour Duncans which I'm very partial to, as opposed to EMG's.
    The only thing about the DK2 that worries me is the tremolo, but I've got a spare Schaller Floyd around.
    I know it comes down to personal preference, but I'm just wondering what seems like the better axe to you guys.

It's too bad the SLSXMG is neck-thru, i was just envisioning a DK2M neck on a Natural finished SLSXMG. Mmmmmmmm.
    2011 Godin Summit CT
    2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
    2006 Jackson DK2 TB
    1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
    2000 LTD H-307
    2003 LTD MH-301
    2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

DK2 for $500 seems a bit steep. I like neckthrus so I'd go with the SLSXMG. Do you care for HSS or HH pickup config? You could trade or sell the EMG's for Duncans. And the FR Special is at least as good, or better than the JT580LP on the DK2.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

it just depends weather you like neck throughs or bolt ons. thats where your decision is made
        Guitars:
        Jackson Kevin Bond RR Green
        Jackson Kevin Bond RR Red
        Grover Jackson Dan Spitz RR
        Epi Thunderhorse Explorer

Amps:
        Modded Jet City 100HDM
        custom 4x12

"Moran!"-augistin01(maker of B.C. Rich Deathangels and Defiler of one poor RR1)

Comment

yeah, it's a tough call. I've never played a Jackson neckthru. I used to have a dean that was neckthru, but I sold that. I know I'd prefer to have a soloist, I'm just a little aprehensive about the made in India thing vs. MIJ.

Comment

as far as two hums vs HSS, I almost prefer the HSS. I rarely use my neck pickup when I've got two humbuckers, but the neck pup on my charvel sounds really nice.

Comment

Which one is made in India? What wood are the body's made of?
              2011 Godin Summit CT
              2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
              2006 Jackson DK2 TB
              1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
              2000 LTD H-307
              2003 LTD MH-301
              2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

the slsxmg is made in india with basswood body wings. maple through-neck. the dk2 is alder, with rock maple neck

Comment

I vote DK2, but if possible, try them both out and make up your own mind.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

thats my issue really, I can try the dk2 no problem, and I expect it's probably very similar to my 475 deluxe, but the slsxmg, I would have to order online and hope I love it.
                    In theory I would prefer the soloist, because of the through -neck construction, and could easily replace pickups if i needed to. i dont hate emg's, but i do prefer duncans.
                    On the other hand, I have started building a soloist/fusion kind of guitar, that I plan to have finished once the weather warms up here... so I could essentially have both really, just that my "soloist" would be lacking the jackson logo and be short scale, and I've used poplar with a 1/4" maple top as opposed to a veneer on basswood...
                    And it would be my first completed build, who knows... it could really suck! lol

Comment

If you have 500$ to spend and want a neck through soloist type guitar, you should look for an old charvel model 5 or 6.
                      they are poplar, not basswood. And made in Japan, not india
                      Last edited by psykofly; 03-02-2012, 03:14 PM. Reason: Me cunt spell

Comment

I wasn't a fan of the 2 basswood guitars I had (a MF only JDR-Pro and something else I can't remember). But my brother in law's Ibanez RGT6EXFX feels and sounds great with the 81/85 combo. So I'd give it a shot again. There's been some good reviews about the X series guitars on here. I'm sure there are bad ones too but there will be with any manufacturer. Maybe take a look at the new Charvel soloists if you don't mind the abalone.. And I agree with looking for a Model 6 or 5 too. Great guitars. I personally think that $500 is way expensive for a DK2.

Comment

Then there's this to think about.. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/127447-slsxmg

Comment

Really, those desolation guitars seem pretty near perfect, if it were not for the damn abalone. I might try one anyway.... it seems to look a bit less gaudy on the trans black, and the flat black. There doesn`t seem to be many reviews one them yet, i hope the QC is up to snuff
                            Last edited by blacktooth; 03-02-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

if I did go for the dinky, what would be a good price to offer? it looks to be in mint shape, has the cherry sunburst or whatever it's called on a flamed maple veneer.

Comment

Working...
                              X