[Please Help]Bad sound with my jackson archtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Please Help]Bad sound with my jackson archtop

i have my almost new franky jackson, full specs here http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/127...son-arched-top

im not an expert but i could build my own guitar and im very happy, everythings work and is ok with my guitar, but excepting this

please listen at 0:47 and 1:32 i play the 2 a 3 string

http://snd.sc/x5LleT

if you cant hear it please download it from here

http://www.mediafire.com/?ggr51b4g11mslcc

i recorded this with my podxt, it sounds terrible!! i dont know what to do, i ve tuned it, the bridge height is right, new ernie ball string ....

please forgive me for my bad english

thank you!
    Last edited by blackhatch; 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM.
    [SoUnDcLoUd]

Sounds like the strings are hitting the frets just slightly, or the locking nut locks might be worn. Put the locks from the new nut on the one that is on the neck.
    It may also be that the locking nut shelf is too low on that side, so you could shim that side up with a sliver of paper to see if it helps.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

How about pickup height? They might be a bit too high. I have experienced that with single coils, not really with humbuckers like you have. But it's worth checking. It also made me think of shimming the nut like Newc suggested. Does it only do it when you pluck the open string?
      2011 Godin Summit CT
      2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
      2006 Jackson DK2 TB
      1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
      2000 LTD H-307
      2003 LTD MH-301
      2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Sounds like the strings are hitting the frets just slightly, or the locking nut locks might be worn. Put the locks from the new nut on the one that is on the neck.
        It may also be that the locking nut shelf is too low on that side, so you could shim that side up with a sliver of paper to see if it helps.
        thanks for the reply, the locking nut is new..i put the locks from the frs nut on it and it still making a really bad sound, i play the 2 and 3 string around the 12 fret and it doesnt hit the fret, the string height is a bit high bit i doesnt hit the fret

Originally posted by jackhamer View Post
        How about pickup height? They might be a bit too high. I have experienced that with single coils, not really with humbuckers like you have. But it's worth checking. It also made me think of shimming the nut like Newc suggested. Does it only do it when you pluck the open string?
        i will lower the pickup height! they are very high!!

wait me !!

[SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

still the same problem,
          [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

Make sure to lower the height of both pickups when you do your test.

Comment

How about if you play the strings at your highest fret?
              2011 Godin Summit CT
              2006 Jackson DK2 TB
              1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
              2000 LTD H-307
              2003 LTD MH-301
              2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Originally posted by jackhamer View Post
                How about if you play the strings at your highest fret?
                do you mean at the 24 frets? it sounds good
                [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

Could be a high fret then. Play the string at each fret all the way up the neck to the 24th. If it doesn't sound good until a certain fret like the 17th for example, then you have found the general area. Use a small straight edge tool or a credit card and lay it along 3 frets. See if it lays flat or if it rocks back and forth over a fret. If that's what it is, have a tech fix it. Try a google search on high frets and you should be able to read up on what it takes to fix it.
                  2011 Godin Summit CT
                  2006 Jackson DK2 TB
                  1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
                  2000 LTD H-307
                  2003 LTD MH-301
                  2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Working...
                  X