Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Dinky a lesser guitar/lower quality than the Soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
    ^^^ you're confused!

Im a die hard Jackson nut my man. thats why all my strats are squiers, with minimal upgrades to make em liveable. except my 92. it was my first
    Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

I personally prefer bolt-on to neckthrough, for both guitar and bass, I've only owned bolt on, but have tried many neckthroughs. bolt ons have always been cheeper due to lower labor cost I believe, so every thing else being equal, boltons can be sold for a little less

Comment

Coming from a Jem and Dinky one more thing to consider is that the soloist neck is usually (glossy) painted apart from Custom Shop models when chosing the "gunstock oiled" option.
        Not everyone likes the feel of a painted neck and they may get sticky when the sweat dries (if you're hands do).
        And Soloists often do have a thicker neck compared to Dinkys.

Comment

I think the build quality of all MIJ Jacksons is very high for all models. If you have your heart set on a Soloist, I'd keep the DK2 and save up for the Soloist. I have a DK2 that I love. Personally I not only prefer bolt ons, I won't buy neck thrus. Not that they're not nice guitars. I just prefer the characteristics of a bolt on unfinished or oiled maple neck over a painted set neck or neck through. IMO you might as well be playing a Les Paul...or playing with yourself!

Comment

They call it a dinky because of the dinky little body, not because of dinky quality
            Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
            2007 Jackson DK2M
            1983 Kramer Pacer Special
            2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
            2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

I've owned an SL3, a DK2M and a DK2. The only one I didn't sell is the SL3. I personally feel its a better guitar than the other two but mainly because I like neckthroughs.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yep, Alder

Also, it's from 2001, when they still had the ebony fretboard, Really lucky that i bought it with ebony, the rosewood on the newer ones don't really cut it for me...

Comment

Thank you all for your opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by armdias View Post
                    Yep, Alder

Also, it's from 2001, when they still had the ebony fretboard, Really lucky that i bought it with ebony, the rosewood on the newer ones don't really cut it for me...
                    The DK2 was never made with an ebony board. It may have darker rosewood than newer ones. The new ones often darken up quite a bit with a good drink of lemon oil.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      The DK2 was never made with an ebony board. It may have darker rosewood than newer ones. The new ones often darken up quite a bit with a good drink of lemon oil.
                      Oh, no! I was talking about my Ibanez Jem 7VWH, not the DK2

My mistake, as i didn't replyed with the quote...

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                        Lo Pros are amazing trems. Those older pre-Edge Pro JEMs are worth alot man. I'm guessing yours is Alder?
                        Yep, Alder

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM.
                          Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                            Has there ever been a full sized Soloist body?
                            The early JXXX serial numbered pre-1986 strats had a mix of stratheads and pointy headstocks and were neck-thru. However, they were just called "strats" and not soloists. Dinkys were neck-thru at that time as well! I'm getting a headache again...

Comment

Totally OT, but Axewielder, your gear list sig is AWESOME.

Comment

Working...
                              X