Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DK2 and the middle pickup...

Hello to all!

I'm new in here, so a little introduction first.

I live in France, i've been playing guitar for more than 15 years but only recently bought an amazing Jackson DK2 in Black.

And I simply love it! It plays amazing, wonderful sound and i'm very happy with it! Coming from Fender Strar and a Gibson Les Paul it feels great to have an hot-rod guitar to shred all day.

Anyway, is it just me or do you guys find "problems" with the HSS configuration? I mean, with my picking technique i'm always "picking" the middle pickup, it seems the middle pickup is just too close to the rear humbucker... Just wanted to hear your experiences. Do you guys find the HSS configuration (the middle pickup) on the DK2 a little akward too in terms of placement? Do you all lower the middle pickup so that you do not pick it up? Did you somehow adjust your playing technique? Or is it just me?

The HH configuration of the DK2M seems a lot more "confortable" in terms of picking, but i really like those single coils...

Thank you all, this is great Jackson community!
    Jean
    Last edited by mnit1965; 04-20-2012, 05:08 AM.

It's been a while but I used to a own a DK2 with the HSS configuration and I can't say that I had a problem. What comes to mind for me is people have different playing styles and may hold their picks differently. Since I play generally fast metal stuff, I have a VERY small amount a pick exposed and attack at a slight angle. And depending on what string I'm picking on, changes where my pick is actually hitting the string. For example, the low E string (top of the guitar) I hit more close to the trem, and the high E string (bottom of the guitar) I hit the string right above the neck pickup. I basically do a diagonal towards the neck, it's less awkward for my picking hand, if that makes sense.

Comment

I personally screw mine right down as I rarely use it - I know where you are coming from, I find it rather obtrusive.

Comment

I had one in Hot Rod Flames, and yes, the middle pickup was closer than it needed to be to the bridge pickup.

However, this has been a Jackson design element since the early days, largely because it left enough room between the neck and middle pickups that the neck single slot could be routed to fit a full-size humbucker (making it H-S-H) and still have the same distance between the humbuckers and the single coil.

Normally I don't have a problem with middle pickups, but on that guitar, it was just in the way. Didn't have a problem on my PC3, Soloist Pro, or the USA Fusions and USA Dinkys I've had. The only two that gave me fits were the DK2 and the USA Soloist that was converted to H-S-H. Damn middle pickup in the wrong place.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Bonjour Why don't you try screwing the middle pickup down into the body. That's what I do and not only does it stop being a pick obstacle but it also sounds best that way. Try it, it only takes a couple of turns with a screwdriver : )

Comment

I agree, it gets in the way. That's why I like H-S configuration better. I never use the middle pickup, so on HSS guitars I always screw it down as low as it will go to get it out of the way.

Comment

I never use the singles on mine so they're both lowered to the max. It does seem to get in the way but oh well.

Comment

Thank you all for you comments opinions!!!

Well, last night i tried to lower the pickup... but with no luck

I was using a screw driver (that very thin grey ones) and the screws are completly stuck! I applied a fair amount of force, but they didn't turn. I tried the same on the neck single coil and nothing too. Then, afraid of wear the screws head i gave up.

Is this normal, the single coil screws being so damn tight? On my strat they are pretty loose, and i don't need brute force to adjust them...

Also, counterclockwise turns will lower them, while clockwise turn will raise them, right?

Damn, this should be so simple but with the screws so tight i'm a little afraid of just screwing something...

Comment

Never had issues with p'ups getting in the way, I prefer 2 hums normally. The DK2 is a class act.

Maybe try a slightly larger screw driver, however, you shouldn't be needing it, those screws should turn easily.

I have the opposite, my screws turn but the thread is stuffed, the singles wont adjust at all.

Comment

Don't tighten it anymore. The issue is there are 2 larger springs under each single coil pickup. You have compressed them as far as they will go. When the springs are compressed they are still about 6mm tall. Next time you take your strings off, pull the pickup out and remove the 2 springs. Then you can screw them down farther. I would still put a thin piece of foam under them so they don't bounce around. Even with the springs removed you might not be able to get them all the way down. Just don't force the screw, you don't want it to strip the wood or crack it, or worse, come out the back of the guitar.
                    2011 Godin Summit CT
                    2002 Jackson Y2KV USA Flag import
                    2006 Jackson DK2 TB
                    1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
                    2000 LTD H-307
                    2003 LTD MH-301
                    2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

Originally posted by jackhamer View Post
                      Don't tighten it anymore. The issue is there are 2 larger springs under each single coil pickup. You have compressed them as far as they will go. When the springs are compressed they are still about 6mm tall. Next time you take your strings off, pull the pickup out and remove the 2 springs. Then you can screw them down farther. I would still put a thin piece of foam under them so they don't bounce around. Even with the springs removed you might not be able to get them all the way down. Just don't force the screw, you don't want it to strip the wood or crack it, or worse, come out the back of the guitar.
                      Jackhammer,

many thanks for the advice and info!

But the problem is that i wasn't abble to tight or loose them, the screws are just too tight/stuck, and with the screw driver i was using i didn't want to force them (tight or untight) without knowing waht i was doing...

At this moment they are as they left the factory, since i couldn't rotate the screws...

Jackhammer: in your experience, is this normal, the screws to be so stuck? And, even to lower the pickup a bit, will i need to remove the 2 springs?

Thanks!

Comment

It's hard to say without actually seeing the guitar. I have not heard about a problem with not being able to remove the screws. They are just wood screws that go directly into the body. Counter-clockwise should back them out. Just make sure you have a couple different sizes of screw drivers on hand and use the right one so you don't strip the head. Mine are phillips head and came right out. Are you the original owner? If not, maybe someone glued them in?
                        2011 Godin Summit CT
                        2006 Jackson DK2 TB
                        1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
                        2000 LTD H-307
                        2003 LTD MH-301
                        2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

It's hard to say without actually seeing the guitar. I have not heard about a problem with not being able to remove the screws. They are just wood screws that go directly into the body. Counter-clockwise should back them out. Just make sure you have a couple different sizes of screw drivers on hand and use the right one so you don't strip the head. Mine are phillips head and came right out. Are you the original owner? If not, maybe someone glued them in?
                          Yes, i'm the original owner. And the 2 pickups are a bit on high side, close to the strings, that's why i found strange i couldn't loose or tight any of the screws...

Comment

You should be able to loosen them. They must be the STk-1's which are staggered. That is what I had in mine. I replaced them with the STK-S4 duncans. The pole pieces are not staggered and align better with a flat fretboard, so you don't get that weird pull on the D and G strings. Honestly, if i did it over, I would put something like a rail type stacked pickup in the neck position. The S4 is ok, but not great. Anyway, back to your issue. The screws are a bit tight. Try to unscrew them a little on each side so it stays relatively even. With those springs, even at their lowest position, the pickup is still too high to be useful IMO. Just take your time backing them out, swap the spring with something shorter or a thin piece of foam. You may need to shorten the screw a bit. If you screw it back down and it get's tight but the pickup is flopping around, snip a little bit off the end of the screw.
                            2011 Godin Summit CT
                            2006 Jackson DK2 TB
                            1988 or 89 Ibanez RG 560
                            2000 LTD H-307
                            2003 LTD MH-301
                            2011 PRS SE 245

Comment

You should be able to loosen them. They must be the STk-1's which are staggered. That is what I had in mine. I replaced them with the STK-S4 duncans. The pole pieces are not staggered and align better with a flat fretboard, so you don't get that weird pull on the D and G strings. Honestly, if i did it over, I would put something like a rail type stacked pickup in the neck position. The S4 is ok, but not great. Anyway, back to your issue. The screws are a bit tight. Try to unscrew them a little on each side so it stays relatively even. With those springs, even at their lowest position, the pickup is still too high to be useful IMO. Just take your time backing them out, swap the spring with something shorter or a thin piece of foam. You may need to shorten the screw a bit. If you screw it back down and it get's tight but the pickup is flopping around, snip a little bit off the end of the screw.
                              Thanks for the tip!

Just to make shure:
                              - counter clockwise -> untight
                              - clockwise -> tight

Right?

Comment

Working...
                              X